C4 Forums | Control4

Audio streaming issues both from NAS and Spotify

I have an EA-3 which has had problems streaming Spotify since the start and now my EA-5 has the same problem streaming from a NAS. The problem is that the sound drops out every second so it sounds like studdering. Both controllers have ethernet cables connected to them connected to a Pakedge router. The NAS is an old Netgear RNDU2000 which is also connected through ethernet cable to the EA-5 (built in switch). It works fine when I stream music from the NAS to other units (laptop). The NAS worked fine for several years but the EA-3 has had problems from the start except for when playing Tunein. Anyone have a solution?

10 minutes ago, Patrik Bostrom said:

I have an EA-3 which has had problems streaming Spotify since the start and now my EA-5 has the same problem streaming from a NAS. The problem is that the sound drops out every second so it sounds like studdering. Both controllers have ethernet cables connected to them connected to a Pakedge router. The NAS is an old Netgear RNDU2000 which is also connected through ethernet cable to the EA-5 (built in switch). It works fine when I stream music from the NAS to other units (laptop). The NAS worked fine for several years but the EA-3 has had problems from the start except for when playing Tunein. Anyone have a solution?

see if you can direct connect and remove the pakedge from the equation. if that works, remove router and get a nonblocking switch between the devices.

2 minutes ago, Patrik Bostrom said:

The Pakedge router is not between the NAS and the EA-5. Was that what you meant?

Sorry, that's the way I read your description. Based on the problem, it sounds like something that's delaying the streams (causing caching)..  what's between the devices, and what else might be happening on the network? Because it's both the EA3 and 5 and different apps, I'd look at the network first...but just in case maybe the NAS (check the drives health, memory/processor specs, etc).  Maybe you can completely take the network out of the equation by connecting the NAS directly the EA5....? If you still have the problem, I'd assume a config issue somewhere.

Just now, ekohn00 said:

Sorry, that's the way I read your description. Based on the problem, it sounds like something that's delaying the streams (causing caching)..  what's between the devices, and what else might be happening on the network? Because it's both the EA3 and 5 and different apps, I'd look at the network first...but just in case maybe the NAS (check the drives health, memory/processor specs, etc).  Maybe you can completely take the network out of the equation by connecting the NAS directly the EA5....? If you still have the problem, I'd assume a config issue somewhere.

The NAS is directly connected to the built in switch in the EA-5. I can stream from a laptop connected wirelessly to the same network while the NAS is connected to the EA-5. But since I am not a digital engineer, maybe it doesn´t matter if the NAS is directly connected? Maybe the stream goes through the Pakedge router anyway? I should probably try with a different router.

2 hours ago, Patrik Bostrom said:

I moved the NAS to where the switch was and connected it directly, it works now :) Kind of good to be home sick for a few days. Soon everything will be working perfectly😁

I read a post and someone pointed out the switch ports on the EA-5 aren't that good....  I guess you proved the point. Good to hear.

2 hours ago, Patrik Bostrom said:

I tried setting the priority higher for media in my router (the Pakedge is just a switch I came to realize). It seems like it worked for the EA-3 but not the NAS.

Being the is a home network, I'd think the Pakedge isn't that good. Sounds like it can't handle the PPS load. Unfortunate if you're using priority, that should mean something else is failing. Easy to prove. Remove priority and remove everything that doesn't contribute to the stream. If you still have the problem add the priority. If that works, get a new switch.

3 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Being the is a home network, I'd think the Pakedge isn't that good. Sounds like it can't handle the PPS load. Unfortunate if you're using priority, that should mean something else is failing. Easy to prove. Remove priority and remove everything that doesn't contribute to the stream. If you still have the problem add the priority. If that works, get a new switch.

I deactivated QoS again and it still works so it was probably the built in switch in EA-5 that was the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.