C4 Forums | Control4

Best Access Points

rf9000

53 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

If running five APs, do I need a controller?

Unleashed has the controller software built into the AP.  In concept though,  you need a controller software to manage how multiple APs work together.    In Unifi you can put free software on a 24/7 PC or you can buy small controller device  that is not expensive.

there are several ruckus unleashed and ruckus AP videos on YouTube that can explain how to setup,  how it works.   

42 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Unleashed has the controller software built into the AP.  In concept though,  you need a controller software to manage how multiple APs work together.    In Unifi you can put free software on a 24/7 PC or you can buy small controller device  that is not expensive.

there are several ruckus unleashed and ruckus AP videos on YouTube that can explain how to setup,  how it works.   

So I would not need a separate piece of equipment, just the five APs themselves. I got another somewhat related question. For all the smart TVs (12), what would be the best way to connect them to internet. If I had the five Ruckus APs, would it be better to let them connect to the internet via WIFI, or would it be better to connect them directly via ethernet? What would provide the fastest speeds and least amount of network congestion?

42 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

. For all the smart TVs (12), what would be the best way to connect them to internet. If I had the five Ruckus APs, would it be better to let them connect to the internet via WIFI, or would it be better to connect them directly via ethernet? What would provide the fastest speeds and least amount of network congestion?

Ethernet is always preferred. But if you don't have the ports, easy access, etc go wifi.... You didn't say, but if you're going to stream to a smartTV I would definitely look for ethernet.

2 hours ago, rf9000 said:

So I would not need a separate piece of equipment, just the five APs themselves. I got another somewhat related question. For all the smart TVs (12), what would be the best way to connect them to internet. If I had the five Ruckus APs, would it be better to let them connect to the internet via WIFI, or would it be better to connect them directly via ethernet? What would provide the fastest speeds and least amount of network congestion?

Ethernet hardwired is always better than Wi-Fi if all terminations are done properly and quality switches are used etc. 

2 hours ago, rf9000 said:

For this quantity, one of the APs will act as the controller. I don't recall the exact number but I think somewhere over 6 APs they recommend adding an AP that will ONLY run as a controller and not broadcast.

Ruckus does do true mesh, but this deployment usually requires more ideal conditions, not fewer. I would caution against it personally, though we do have to do it here and there. If we have to mesh more than one AP we usually redesign.

4 hours ago, CTMatthew said:

For this quantity, one of the APs will act as the controller. I don't recall the exact number but I think somewhere over 6 APs they recommend adding an AP that will ONLY run as a controller and not broadcast.

Ruckus does do true mesh, but this deployment usually requires more ideal conditions, not fewer. I would caution against it personally, though we do have to do it here and there. If we have to mesh more than one AP we usually redesign.

I think its a lot more than 6.... Eg never in a residential setting.

I think the ruckus people will suggest over 5 ap then add a controller. 

Lately I’ve been changing some settings and rescanning in my unifi setup and now at 16 feet away from my nearest ap, my laptop gets consistently over 600Mbps  internet connection. 

D078712F-DAAC-4D24-BFBF-6453FE6EE405.jpeg

18 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

I think the ruckus people will suggest over 5 ap then add a controller. 

Lately I’ve been changing some settings and rescanning in my unifi setup and now at 16 feet away from my nearest ap, my laptop gets consistently over 600Mbps  internet connection. 

D078712F-DAAC-4D24-BFBF-6453FE6EE405.jpeg

When I switched from my Unifi HD AP's to Ruckus, I did some same device, same point, same distance AB comparisons and the Ruckus was materially higher throughput in my test, especially at distance and on 2.4G.   Not saying it's needed in a home but just mentioning.  

I still have a Unifi backbone of Router, Switches plus Cameras. 

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

When I switched from my Unifi HD AP's to Ruckus, I did some same device, same point, same distance AB comparisons and the Ruckus was materially higher throughput in my test, especially at distance and on 2.4G.   Not saying it's needed in a home but just mentioning.  

I still have a Unifi backbone of Router, Switches plus Cameras. 

So I have decided to purchase three Ruckus 610 models. For the other two, do you think I could use 510 models? Or should I throw in one 710 and make that the master?

26 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

So I have decided to purchase three Ruckus 610 models. For the other two, do you think I could use 510 models? Or should I throw in one 710 and make that the master?

How big is your house?  Stories?   Ruckus has a blog on AP placement so would be good for you read if doing yourself.

4 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

How big is your house?  Stories?   Ruckus has a blog on AP placement so would be good for you read if doing yourself.

Ps not all APs can be flashed to Unleashed so I would stick with 610/710,  not worth the price difference to go down to a 510 and I’m not sure either if it can run on unleashed.

13 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Sure except WiFi 6e is already out.  

yep... a whole 1 or 2 routers and a phone.  :) 

But realistically, once devices come out this will be good. And you have reasons to redesign your WAP deployments and purchase all new WAPs.  

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

yep... a whole 1 or 2 routers and a phone.  :) 

But realistically, once devices come out this will be good. And you have reasons to redesign your WAP deployments and purchase all new WAPs.  

Well my point was in response to the fact that Unifi is releasing a new “pro” WiFi 6 system right now. So, while I agree with you, it won’t be great as a consumer to pay for this and then want to redesign the whole system again.  By the fall, the new iPhone, new MacBook Pro, and numerous Android and PC devices will have WiFi 6e. And the people who just bought this system will be calling their dealers to ask why they paid all that money for something that was so quickly “last gen”.  The time to release WiFi 6 was last May when everyone else did it.  Some people won’t care, but WiFi 6e is going to be a game changing upgrade for many, particularly for those of us in cities. 

I also need one outdoor access point. I have decided to use four Ruckus 610s and one Ruckus 710 for indoors, all on unleashed. Do I also need the 610/710 outdoor version, or would one of the lower models work well?

37 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Well my point was in response to the fact that Unifi is releasing a new “pro” WiFi 6 system right now. So, while I agree with you, it won’t be great as a consumer to pay for this and then want to redesign the whole system again.  By the fall, the new iPhone, new MacBook Pro, and numerous Android and PC devices will have WiFi 6e. And the people who just bought this system will be calling their dealers to ask why they paid all that money for something that was so quickly “last gen”.  The time to release WiFi 6 was last May when everyone else did it.  Some people won’t care, but WiFi 6e is going to be a game changing upgrade for many, particularly for those of us in cities. 

Age old dilemma of when to buy but in this case, it was recommended to the OP to buy used R610/710s as they will probably still outperform the new gear for a decent useful life and more than any bandwidth needs will require. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.