c4forums | The Control4 Community

Stacking Audio Matrices

Fellas,

Any reason why one couldn’t stack two or more 8-Zone audio matrices for a 14+ zone system?  The precise matrices being considered are the episode response series or the triad AMS-8 with amps.  I’ve done this before, I just can’t remember how the drivers see it.  Can I grab any source form either matrix and play to any zone.  Can zones from different matrices be grouped?  I don’t have equipment in stock to test. Thanks guys. 

2 hours ago, time2jet said:

Any reason why one couldn’t stack two or more 8-Zone audio matrices for a 14+ zone system?

Apart from some odd lingering stacked matrix issues in C4 - why would you? Wouldn't even REALLY work for  14 zones anyway, or you're SEVERELY limiting your sources Savings even on just getting a 24x24 Triad which is pricey don't justify the issues you're creating. To do it right to get an 8x16 audio matrix stack, you'd actually pay more (it would take 3 8x8 matrices)

2 hours ago, time2jet said:

episode response series

These are matrix amps, not audio matrices

Are you looking to have 8 or less sources, but 14 zones? Then you COULD use the response series amps and use their audio out loops to create essentially an 8x16 amp.

Realize that if you use a 16 and a 12 to make 14 zones you can, but are limited to 6 sources on the 12.

Yes to other questions.

8 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Apart from some odd lingering stacked matrix issues in C4 - why would you? Wouldn't even REALLY work for  14 zones anyway, or you're SEVERELY limiting your sources Savings even on just getting a 24x24 Triad which is pricey don't justify the issues you're creating. To do it right to get an 8x16 audio matrix stack, you'd actually pay more (it would take 3 8x8 matrices)

These are matrix amps, not audio matrices

Are you looking to have 8 or less sources, but 14 zones? Then you COULD use the response series amps and use their audio out loops to create essentially an 8x16 amp.

Realize that if you use a 16 and a 12 to make 14 zones you can, but are limited to 6 sources on the 12.

Yes to other questions.

Thanks for responding @cyknight  

I’m aware that the response series are matrix amps, as I now run a 16ch myself.  

This particular application is simply a mountain lodge with 4 bedrooms with ensuites.  Each bedroom and ensuite needs to be independent of each other (in terms of control versus simply source ie - someone is watching television in the bedroom while another is listening to streaming audio in the ensuite).  In addition there are 6 additional independent zones that audio streams could potentially play.  So in total there are 10 zones needing 2ch streaming audio.  The sources are all C4 native audio from an EA5.  4 independent streaming sources is the maximum desired.  All zones have passive in ceilings (6 include in-wall subs).

For this, and for the reasons below, I was considering integrating a 16 Channel and a 12 Channel Response looped.  The owner is convinced that running identical In-ceilings, the the Episode Response seems to sound better than the Triad 8x8 matrix with separate Triad amps (that she runs in her own residence). We’ve changed settings and focused particular sources to zones, but still can’t change her mind.  I have to admit that I haven’t lived with Triad, but am very happy with the Episode personally.  

3 minutes ago, time2jet said:

The owner is convinced that running identical In-ceilings, the the Episode Response seems to sound better than the Triad 8x8 matrix with separate Triad amps

Uhhhh well truth is in the EAR of the beholder I guess.

That said, I've nothing against the Episode as such - indeed run one myself.

4 bedrooms plus 4 ensuites plus 6 others is 14 - and with the '10 zones need streaming audio' I assume that means 4 zones have TVs and you're wiring the TV back for audio to speakers?

In that scenario, with the sub outputs on the Episode, they do make for a fine and reasonably priced choice.

HOWEVER note that due to pathing/tracking issues you SHOULD NOT loop out controller outputs (a looped out is still a 'split' output). So either you'll need more audio outputs, or divide them 2 and 2 (or whatever works) and limit how many streams are available 'per amp'

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

any reason to not have the 24 zone triad matrix and have the amplifiers each connected to it? this will simplify your connections and allow any sources to be accessible anywhere.

Little late to the conversation, but the assumption is cost plus not needing 24 sources.