C4 Forums | Control4

Recommended Video Matrix Switch?

zr123

Looking for recommendations on a good video matrix switch compatible with C4.

Must haves:

4K HDR video
Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, etc passthrough capabilities
At least 1 HDMI out
At least 3 more outs, whether through Cat5/6 or HDMI directly

Inputs = at least 6

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Define 4K HDR.

Within specs:

LU642 from Control4/Leaf Use D series for ability to pass all formats over HDMI while ALSO decoding stereo at the same time for stereo audio distribution

C66CS from Blustream

MX88-AUHD-HDBAST-PLUS from AVPro Edge (they don't have a 6x6 version)

All work well, all have outputs for HDMI and HDBaseT within parameters you describe.

3 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Skip the traditional matrix and go AV Pro Edge MXnet

I saw their press release on that new product earlier this month and it looks very impressive.  It seems like their version of a Just Add Power solution but with more advanced display passthrough capabilities like Dolby Vision and HDR10+.  

22 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

How about:

Atlona® Opus™ 4K HDR HDMI to HDBaseT Matrix Switcher (AT-OPUS-68M)

DOES that support 4KUHD with HDR at 4:4:4??

Specs say it supports 4KUHD@60 up to 4:4:4 plus support for HDR formats

That reeks like it doesn't do 4K@60 with HDR at 4:4:4.... can't find a definitive yay/nay in the specs.

At any rate, we've tried Atlona three times (as in 3 different generations of switches, not just 3 switches) and have had nothing but issues so I'm done trying.

As for 4:4:4 HDR:

Same for Blustream, they clearly state 4K@60 4:4:4 but NEVER in combination with HDR (again, they'll claim it ALSO does HDR, not also HDR at 4:4:4) We've done a few of them, but not sources to actually try 4:4:4 with HDR chroma....

Only AVPro Edge clearly indicate it does HDR at 4:4:4 on their MX series

At any rate - that's why my first line was:

22 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Define 4K HDR.

12 hours ago, zr123 said:

Thanks all!

With respect to the Leaf/Control4 LU642, any issues using it in conjunction with higher end processors/receivers like an Anthem or Marantz?

None, but if you're looking to do zones with surround and without, make sure to get the "D" series to maintain all audio encoding.

You can try to play with the definitions all you want, but the bottom line is that the Control4 matrixes do not offer the full 4K HDR @ 60 hz with 4:4:4 chroma.  This requires data rates of 18 Gbps and the Control4 matrixes only support up to 10.2 Gbps.  In my experience, this causes problems in the field for clients who expect full 4K HDR support from their expensive distributed video system.  As much as I'd prefer to sell Control4, for the money there are now better options out in the market.  Hopefully Control4 refreshes their matrix lineup soon...or perhaps they are just assuming that MOIP will take over?

I have an Atlona Opus and decided on that for the reasons Ari stated above.  It was not set up correctly initially and we had a good number of issues (like all things in C4, if installed and programmed correctly things work well, if not you’ll have issues). Spent a lot of time with their support - who were great - and a remote installer I met on these forums and the experience has improved dramatically. Picture quality is great, reasonable switching times and just a few problems here and there when the resolution gets a little off but I think that is due to my TV box more than the matrix. I would definitely recommend considering it if you can’t find other options that hit all of your requirements. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.