C4 Forums | Control4

Linking Multiple sites

samrwalker

Does anyone have any ideas on how to best link two homes together. I think what I'll end up doing, is web hooks and ifttt to make some things happen, but id love to have a keypad by the door at each home with some buttons to trigger things at the other site. 

For example: Push a button that says "Headed to the Lake" and it could shut down everything at our main residence, put some devices in away mode, and then turn the A/C down at the lake house and get things there ready for our arrival there. 

both houses are site to site VPNd.

7 hours ago, samrwalker said:

Glad to hear someone else does this. Another fun thing I tried, was adding a EA1 at my primary house, running on the project of the secondary house. So then I could pair remotes and a keypads to the other house. Totally unnecessary, but cool none the less

That is a neat idea... I need to give this some thought... I don’t have a permanent VPN tunnel between the houses but would imagine my dealer can make this happen.  Maybe I’ll then have a T3 (at each house linked to the other house). I will have spare T3s if / when the T4s I asked my dealer for ever become reality...

7 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

That is a neat idea... I need to give this some thought... I don’t have a permanent VPN tunnel between the houses but would imagine my dealer can make this happen.  Maybe I’ll then have a T3 (at each house linked to the other house). I will have spare T3s if / when the T4s I asked my dealer for ever become reality...

The site to site VPN is pretty handy for a host of reasons. I love being able to pull up my cameras from both places easily on the network. 

On 2/25/2021 at 8:20 PM, samrwalker said:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to best link two homes together. I think what I'll end up doing, is web hooks and ifttt to make some things happen, but id love to have a keypad by the door at each home with some buttons to trigger things at the other site. 

For example: Push a button that says "Headed to the Lake" and it could shut down everything at our main residence, put some devices in away mode, and then turn the A/C down at the lake house and get things there ready for our arrival there. 

both houses are site to site VPNd.

I would thing this is easy. Since they are VPNd, make sure all C4 is on the same network. Then put both in the same Config.

Obviously you'll have 2 Kitchens...but you can deal with that.

6 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

I would thing this is easy. Since they are VPNd, make sure all C4 is on the same network. Then put both in the same Config.

Obviously you'll have 2 Kitchens...but you can deal with that.

My only concern with making them one project, would be if the internet every went down, and then we'd have a dead site. 

16 minutes ago, samrwalker said:

My only concern with making them one project, would be if the internet every went down, and then we'd have a dead site. 

There's definitely the risk in loss of internet.

Thinking out loud.... I'd wonder if there's a way to learn a device to 2 controllers??

• 1 month later...

We did this many years ago for a company that did training at remote sites. They had 4 offices all running on one system from an HC1000 (thats how long ago it was). It was really slick, reception in London could start a class for the presenter in Manchester to teach students in Dublin.

Other than auto-discovery not working it was really simple to do once they had the site to site VPN setup.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, ekohn00 said:

There's definitely the risk in loss of internet.

Thinking out loud.... I'd wonder if there's a way to learn a device to 2 controllers??

unlikely with zigbee. would be possible with network devices.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, samrwalker said:

Push a button that says "Headed to the Lake" and it could shut down everything at our main residence, put some devices in away mode, and then turn the A/C down at the lake house and get things there ready for our arrival there.

If this is all you're doing....there's really no need to fully link the sites (with all the risks involved) as all you would need is a command sent to the other site, and programming to execute what you want to happen on the second system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.