C4 Forums | Control4

SAT or CATV STB allocation scheme ?

DrDSL

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has implemented a SAT or CATV STB allocation scheme with a video switch?

The idea is that there is a pool of 4-5 STB's that can be dynamically allocated among a larger number of viewing locations with a video switch controlled by C4 or 3rd party software. When a user wants to watch TV he is either automatically allocated an idle box or is only allowed to choose a idle box.

The beauty of this is that all the STB's are located in a common area and the user only needs to equip as many units as they require for simulanteous viewing sessions. The concept could be used to allocate other video sources sources as well.

I have heard of folks doing this with Crestron and seem to recall a thread on one of the many C4 fourms where this was discussed in passing.

Thanks

One option is to put everything on a video matrix switcher. Lets say you use the key digital 4x8. You can hook up a DVD Player, a few satellite dishes etc to the output. Since it is a Matrix switch, people can watch the same channel in all of the rooms if they want, or select a different source to watch a a different show/dvd player, etc...

This works pretty easy in C4, they have drivers for a few companies or you can write your own. Keep in mind, the model I am talking about only runs 4 tvs, you would have to stack multiple units to get more outputs.

Curt

Curt,

I understand the signal routing aspects of using a video matrix switch for this purpose but I'm concerned about the control.

For example how would a user know if a STB was in use by another user? Is there some way in the C4 software to lock out a busy box or flag it as in-use on the UI? Or better yet, automatically assign one from the pool?

Thanx

George

I don't think it would - it does that with mp3 music in their audio matrix switch (which impressed me) - but video i think would be tricky.

Considering most million+ homes use RF modultation and have no control over the channels in half the rooms, you are doing much better than what they have :)

Curt

...automatically assign one from the pool...

Custom driver time... To get this level of automation, you will have to hand code it. That means SDK usage. I have a clear idea of what is involved behind the scenes, and I might be able to whip up a "pool manager" of sorts. But don't hold your breath. It will be a side project because of my other responsibilities.

As to the matter of UI feedback. There is none of that at this stage. While locking out the box may be a bad idea - it impinges on usability - a feedback flag on the UI that it is currently being used is an excellent idea. It would then be at the client's discretion whether they change the channels.

programming time on the project is of no concern.

Hah! in my dreams!:lol:

Seriously though, I think this is an important application that deserves a solution. It's especially needed in SAT applications where you must provide a STB and there is simply no longer any place to put it at the viewing location when most of the TV's are Plasmas hanging on the wall. In a CATV environment equipping each TV with a cable card is pretty easy.

In the particular instance I'm dealing with now, the client would like to have a few SAT STB's with TIVO in the pool - these could record shows that can then be played back at any location - a nice feature. Add a DVD changer as another source and you can start to see some real benefits. In the market we're in anyway, pretty much $1M++ homes, I dont see $4K-$6K as being unreasonable for this capability.

I've been giving this thought for some time now, and it seems that two HTC's and an A/V matrix switch (like the new integrated 8X8 unit that KDS announced at Cedia) gives us most of the hooks and handles that we need for 6 STB's and a DVD changer: ir outputs to the STB's, video sensing to determine if they are on or off, and a serial ports to control the switch and DVD changer. What am I missing? (besides the software control structure!)

George

DrDSL - we have similar setups here. I am a programmer but don't think I have the time to mess with the SDK right now. In non-kid households a pool without a lot of warnings work pretty well, but with a house of kids you really need a better way.

Curt

Archived