C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Chime vs. Ring doorbell

We are currently on version 2 of the software and are having our dealer upgrade our components in order to use the version 3 system.  We had a c4 door station installed several years ago but it was a wireless version as there was no way to drop a cat 5 line down to it for PoE purposes. Luckily, there was a light switch unit directly behind it in our entry that we were able to use for power.  It never worked well and we replaced it with a Ring version a couple of years ago.  Now that we are upgrading our system, is going back to the new C4 doorbell worth the switch?  I can tell you although the Ring bell announcing through the C4 and speakers, it works intermittently at best.  I'm wondering if by upgrading to the new processors and doorbell, would the door bell be more reliable.  

That's possible but I think it has something to do with the doorbell button itself.  It seems to have to be pushed pretty hard for it to activate the system.  If someone gives it a half-hearted push, it won't work.  

5 minutes ago, dukebeau said:

That's possible but I think it has something to do with the doorbell button itself.  It seems to have to be pushed pretty hard for it to activate the system.  If someone gives it a half-hearted push, it won't work.  

that doesn't really make sense - if it activates ring it should work...

1 minute ago, dukebeau said:

It is weird.  Our dealer is coming out next week to take a look but I'm thinking a C4 doorbell should be more reliable.  

This is really quite simple to test. 

If you half-hearted push the button, does it trigger the announcement in the Ring App? If yes, and if the programming is done correctly, every time it will trigger the Control4 programming.

If you half-hearted push the button, and it does not trigger the announcement in the Ring app, then there is something either wrong with the button or how you're pushing it. I'd recommend contacting Ring to get a replacement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.