C4 Forums | Control4

Best Garage Door Opener for Integration?

DLite

I currently have a LiftMaster garage door opener integrated into C4 with a CardAccess wireless controller.  It has been very reliable and works great with C4.  

However, we will soon have to replace our motor, because we are remodeling and insulating our garage, requiring a heavier duty motor.  I'd like to integrate the new motor using native C4 equipment and without going through the cloud -- kind of like my existing CardAccess setup.  Am I correct that the Smart Garage Door Bundle is the only way to achieve that goal, or are there other approaches?  What garage door brands work best with the Smart Garage Bundle or similar alternatives?  

Thanks a lot

13 minutes ago, DLite said:

I currently have a LiftMaster garage door opener integrated into C4 with a CardAccess wireless controller.  It has been very reliable and works great with C4.  

However, we will soon have to replace our motor, because we are remodeling and insulating our garage, requiring a heavier duty motor.  I'd like to integrate the new motor using native C4 equipment and without going through the cloud -- kind of like my existing CardAccess setup.  Am I correct that the Smart Garage Door Bundle is the only way to achieve that goal, or are there other approaches?  What garage door brands work best with the Smart Garage Bundle or similar alternatives?  

Thanks a lot

If you want local integration then you just need a contact and a relay that is integrated into Control4.  If you have zigbee then my recommendation is a Z2IO as you can do both using the one device.  You will need to supply a Reed Switch to monitor the door.

If however you can get cabling from your controller then you may be able to use the contact and relay on the controller depending on the controller you have.

1 minute ago, ekohn00 said:

simple....skip the C4 relays and just use the Genie to open and close.... ?

It's not the same in the sense that it uses cloud connectivity versus local. The c4 relay has no reliance on a third party service. The Aladdin connect can provide a similar outcome of opening and closing the garage door but is reliant on the Aladdin cloud

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

but is reliant on the Aladdin cloud

And because of this you may also notice some lag from triggering an even and the alert beeping starting. It's super easy to setup and inexpensive, but because of this cloud dependence, if my internet goes out I can't open it up with C4 anymore. Choose....wisely 😊

4 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

And because of this you may also notice some lag from triggering an even and the alert beeping starting. It's super easy to setup and inexpensive, but because of this cloud dependence, if my internet goes out I can't open it up with C4 anymore. Choose....wisely 😊

I was curious.....  I use the C4 Garage Kit and have 3 garages without any problems (for the most part).

If you are using relays to control a garage door opener how do you trigger the relays so that they simulate a button push and release as opposed to a push and permanent hold?  In other words, you only want to close the relay for a tenth of a second or so and then re-open it.

3 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

slightly different number WCS10-R-ZP, maybe because its older??

Ah ok. A few months back I ended up getting a Z2IO and rowed my own to trigger/short the opener and then just added both an open and close sensor to track state. 

21 minutes ago, zaphod said:

If you are using relays to control a garage door opener how do you trigger the relays so that they simulate a button push and release as opposed to a push and permanent hold?  In other words, you only want to close the relay for a tenth of a second or so and then re-open it.

just push the button on the C4 remote again. it stops the door.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

ABC - Anything But Chamberlain as they are hostile towards integration into smart homes. 

Liftmaster = Chamberlain just to be clear.

'worst' case you just wire to and solder to your regular button.... still works fine that way.

Integrated 5 Marantec units the other day and they were pretty nice. Finger print scanner a at the outdoor keypads and no data bus for the opener wiring so just a simple z2io and magnetic sensors at the front wall with no additional part/soldering needed like a lift master needs.

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

Integrated 5 Marantec units the other day and they were pretty nice. Finger print scanner a at the outdoor keypads and no data bus for the opener wiring so just a simple z2io and magnetic sensors at the front wall with no additional part/soldering needed like a lift master needs.

Those Marantec units do look very cool.  

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Liftmaster = Chamberlain just to be clear.

'worst' case you just wire to and solder to your regular button.... still works fine that way.

Why did they change their openers so that you can't use dry contacts?  I have older openers and can still use relays directly wired to the opener, but apparently that no longer works on newer openers.

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

I have Marantec's also but haven't seen any fingerprint scanners.   Can you send a link?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.