C4 Forums | Control4

Editing an existing script action in Composer HE

Is there a way to edit/change an existing script action in Composer HE?

Simple example: I have a script action that changes the volume for a room.  Let's say I want to edit the volume level to use a different number. The only way I see to do that right now is delete the existing action, and add back a new action with the volume level I want.

Feels like I'm missing something and that this would be basic functionality.

All help appreciated.

4 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’m afraid that is the way to do it,

If it is something you are going to change regularly, you could also set the volume equal to a variable and then change the variable value.

Thanks for the response. Not specifically interested in just volume, but more curious about *any* action. Feels like they should make it easy to change an action (particularly for ones that have multiple settings) rather than have to delete and re-add.  

4 minutes ago, dharmeshs said:

Thanks for the response. Not specifically interested in just volume, but more curious about *any* action. Feels like they should make it easy to change an action (particularly for ones that have multiple settings) rather than have to delete and re-add.  

While I agree with you as I would like to type and edit code directly... this is not how Composer works and I guess that drag and drop has the advantage of minimising errors. 

If I remember correctly, you can open a project as an XML file directly and edit things that way but it would not be recommended... I am 99% sure that I did this years ago and messed everything up much to my dealer’s disgust.

1 minute ago, South Africa C4 user said:

While I agree with you as I would like to type and edit code directly... this is not how Composer works and I guess that drag and drop has the advantage of minimising errors. 

If I remember correctly, you can open a project as an XML file directly and edit things that way but it would not be recommended... I am 99% sure that I did this years ago and messed everything up much to my dealer’s disgust.

Not to belabor the point, but one wouldn't have to sacrifice the drag-and-drop UI in order to enable this.

The way every other similar system I've seen do this (and I've seen a lot) is you double click the "item" and it shows you that item's data (basically the same as if you were adding a new one, but the current values are populated). Then you change what you need and click save/update. Done!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.