C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi UDM Pro Network Problem

I was not sure which thread to post this to, but was hoping someone in here could help me.

I have a extensive control4 system and wanted to upgrade my router.  I already had the Unifi 24 port switch, a Unifi 16 port POE, two Unifi access points ,and their cloud key 2.  I had the Unifi router but never really got it to work so was running the system on a 10 year old wifi router with the wifi turned off. My internet spped is 1gig down 40mb up.  So I wanted to upgrade the router and bought the Unifi Dream Machine Pro becuase of to its 10G ability, as I also have a QNAP server, and thought it would be much faster putting a 10G card in it and in my PC with a 10G switch.

Everything went very smooth on the initial part of the install and the UDM Pro found the internet no problem.  I reset the switches wich allowed me to linked the two switches to the UDM PRO which is when I realized I had a issue.  Althoguh the UDM Pro sees the internet, and can even do a speed test through the phone app, anything I plug into the front ports of the UDM Pro does not see the interent.  Hence the control4 issue as everything went down when it could not see the internet.  The weird part is the AP's that were plugged into the POE switch (but still managed under the cloud key) still worked and could access the interent.

To verify the issue was with the UDM Pro I plugged a samsung TV direct into the port of the UDM Pro (easy to due as I have everthing into patch panels) and it would say it had a conection but when it went to check the switch and internet it failed.

Does anyone here have Unifi experience or could point me to a person that could help me?

Thank you,

19 minutes ago, rocky350z said:

I was not sure which thread to post this to, but was hoping someone in here could help me.

I have a extensive control4 system and wanted to upgrade my router.  I already had the Unifi 24 port switch, a Unifi 16 port POE, two Unifi access points ,and their cloud key 2.  I had the Unifi router but never really got it to work so was running the system on a 10 year old wifi router with the wifi turned off. My internet spped is 1gig down 40mb up.  So I wanted to upgrade the router and bought the Unifi Dream Machine Pro becuase of to its 10G ability, as I also have a QNAP server, and thought it would be much faster putting a 10G card in it and in my PC with a 10G switch.

Everything went very smooth on the initial part of the install and the UDM Pro found the internet no problem.  I reset the switches wich allowed me to linked the two switches to the UDM PRO which is when I realized I had a issue.  Althoguh the UDM Pro sees the internet, and can even do a speed test through the phone app, anything I plug into the front ports of the UDM Pro does not see the interent.  Hence the control4 issue as everything went down when it could not see the internet.  The weird part is the AP's that were plugged into the POE switch (but still managed under the cloud key) still worked and could access the interent.

To verify the issue was with the UDM Pro I plugged a samsung TV direct into the port of the UDM Pro (easy to due as I have everthing into patch panels) and it would say it had a conection but when it went to check the switch and internet it failed.

Does anyone here have Unifi experience or could point me to a person that could help me?

Thank you,

I have unifi experience and may be able to help you. PM me if interested. 

I did not back up and restore which is why I am sure I am having problems.  At this point I would like to install all from scratch I think.  The part I dont understand is why what ever I plug directly into the port doesnt see the internet event thought the UDM does  

7 hours ago, rocky350z said:

The part I dont understand is why what ever I plug directly into the port doesnt see the internet event thought the UDM does  

Not sure I follow what you are saying?   Do you mean when you plug something into the UDM-Pro switch ports it does not see the internet?  What is the cable modem you are using?   ATT Uverse?

16 hours ago, rocky350z said:

I did not back up and restore which is why I am sure I am having problems.  At this point I would like to install all from scratch I think.  The part I dont understand is why what ever I plug directly into the port doesnt see the internet event thought the UDM does  

Did you configure a network/LAN on the UDM-PRO? I assume you're also using one of the 8 ports, grouped on the left,  for the LAN connection?

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

Did you configure a network/LAN on the UDM-PRO? I assume you're also using one of the 8 ports, grouped on the left,  for the LAN connection?

Yes it showed there was a LAN configured on the UDM, and yes was trying to use the ports to the left of the internet connection.

10 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Not sure I follow what you are saying?   Do you mean when you plug something into the UDM-Pro switch ports it does not see the internet?  What is the cable modem you are using?   ATT Uverse?

The cable modem is from Spectrum  Hitron Docsis 3.1 Voice Internet Cable Modem. it is plugged into port 9 (The internet port).  The UDM sees the internet just fine and will do a speed check through the app showing 950+ up and 40+ down.  When I plug something into the ports (1-8) they see a connection but do not see the internet.

41 minutes ago, rocky350z said:

Yes it showed there was a LAN configured on the UDM, and yes was trying to use the ports to the left of the internet connection.

You also removed the old switches and key controller from being connected?

My guess is the NETWORK isn't completely set up. I would suggest you plug a computer into the UDMPRO and see what IP address it gets via DHCP and see if it connects. Try to PING the WAN address.

Open a web page for the UDM-PRO management. Go to a used LAN port, what does the Device settings say?

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

My guess is the NETWORK isn't completely set up. I would suggest you plug a computer into the UDMPRO and see what IP address it gets via DHCP and see if it connects. Try to PING the WAN address.

Exactly this. You'll need to connect your UDMP to your modem and then hardwire your PC to the UDMP. Just set mine up about a month ago and switched from a CK Gen2+  

Don't bother with the app (via WiFi or Bluetooth) as it just gets confused with your previous setup. So much easier to hardwire to set it up and define your WAN and LAN

1 minute ago, tmj4 said:

Exactly this. You'll need to connect your UDMP to your modem and then hardwire your PC to the UDMP. Just set mine up about a month ago and switched from a CK Gen2+  

Don't bother with the app (via WiFi or Bluetooth) as it just gets confused with your previous setup. So much easier to hardwire to set it up and define your WAN and LAN

Thank you, I had to order a USB to Ethernet for my laptop so I will try this Wednesday evening.

28 minutes ago, rocky350z said:

Thank you, I had to order a USB to Ethernet for my laptop so I will try this Wednesday evening.

you might try plugging a WAP into the ethernet port and see if you can adopt it. this should show up on the app.

22 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Do you have a pc that is able to connect via Ethernet?

Yes but it is on a different floor, I ordered a USB to Ethernet for my laptop which will be here Wednesday then I can connect to it while being right at the rack.

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

you might try plugging a WAP into the ethernet port and see if you can adopt it. this should show up on the app.

I have 2 APs from the previous setup. When they are plugged in I do have wireless connectivity, which makes it all more confusing.  But they were setup using the cloud key 2.  I am afraid at this point to reset them as it is the only connectivity i get.  In the app they show controlled by another device.

13 minutes ago, rocky350z said:

I have 2 APs from the previous setup. When they are plugged in I do have wireless connectivity, which makes it all more confusing.  But they were setup using the cloud key 2.  I am afraid at this point to reset them as it is the only connectivity i get.  In the app they show controlled by another device.

Based on this, especially if you can go wifi to the internet on these waps (assuming you're truly connected to them and they're on the UDM-PRO), then it sounds like you don't have any problems with your ethernet ports. Maybe your TV has a fixed IP?? or it never released...can't say. But if the WAP is plugged in and your can get access, it's obvious the port works and the LAN has been configured. To be clear and double check....the cloud key is not on or plugged in??

Eventually you may want to adopt the WAPs and only have one network manager (UDM-PRO).

48 minutes ago, rocky350z said:

If you don’t restore from a backup then you need to reset all your unifi equipment and re adopt them and set up the network new

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.