C4 Forums | Control4

Motorized Drapery

All,

Looking for some suggestions on motorized drapery rods. I have a room in which we want to incorporate a motorized drape that would slide all the way and stack on the right side. Some nice looking and quiet. Currently have CAT6a ran to the location and can have a power outlet there too if needed. Would want it integrated with C4 to operate via keypad.

3 hours ago, DawnGordon said:

Lutron all the way.  In addition to the motor/track. You will also need a power supply and the Lutron SmartBridge Pro for Control4 integration.

Thanks. Yes, i'm aware of Lutron, but their prices are pretty high just for a simple motorized curtain. Seeing if anyone has had good luck with other brands.

I went with a more 'DIY' solution, which certainly isn't in the category of a Lutron system.  That said, for my needs, it works pretty well, and is dramatically less expensive.

I have a Scope screen, and use black velvet curtains to mask the pillarbox bars on the side when watching content narrower than 2.35:1.  I installed a motorized curtain track from Automatic Curtains.  Here is a link to the specific track that met my needs:

920-A Single Track Motorized Curtain System

I added a Bond Bridge, with Chowmain's Driver, and integrated it into my Control4 system.  This allowed me to use my Control4 remote to select specific macros that closed the curtain to specific positions for 2.20:1, 2.00:1, 1.85:1, etc.

I next added the madVR Labs Envy (a visual processor in the same category with the more familiar Lumagen), and with its recently released Control4 Driver, I now have this fully automated.  When watching any content, the curtain will be closed to the correct position for any aspect ratio being watched.

It works quite well.  For what it's worth.

Thanks. Yes, I know the go to is usually Lutron, but prices are kinda ridiculous for a simple single motorized curtain. I'm also considering another brand I found. They look pretty nice, use commercial components and have a five year warranty on everything. They also work via Wifi but could integrate them with C4 using the same Bond Bridge/Chowmain setup.

Interesting - the curtain track itself looks identical to the one I have.  I've actually seen this same looking track sold under quite a number of different names, and I think they all originate in China.  I do like having different control options besides the RF one.  They do mention Zigbee, but since Control4 uses a different 'flavor' of Zigbee, I doubt that this would be directly compatible.

34 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

Interesting - the curtain track itself looks identical to the one I have.  I've actually seen this same looking track sold under quite a number of different names, and I think they all originate in China.  I do like having different control options besides the RF one.  They do mention Zigbee, but since Control4 uses a different 'flavor' of Zigbee, I doubt that this would be directly compatible.

There are differences if you look closely. They say they manufacturer their own, but these days who knows what that means

38 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

How quiet is the system you are using? 

1 hour ago, rf9000 said:

How quiet is the system you are using? 

Pretty quiet.  There is some 'squeaking' as the little rollers move through the track, but that seems to be getting less over time.  With this type of design and moving parts, I would think some noise would be inevitable, but it's pretty minimal.  Actually, I have a YouTube video of it in action, where you can hear it.  This was right after installation, and it seems less noticeable now.

Motorized Curtain Track

As to whether they're using the same hardware, who knows!  How is the pricing on the units you're looking at?  I paid a little over $500 for mine, if I remember correctly, for a length of around 16 feet.

This holds true for shades, but for curtain tracks I am not so sure.  The curtain set I priced from Lutron were nearly $5k per window and you can't self install.   There are many makers of reliable curtain tracks that have been is business for decades. Not everything needs to be a Rolls Royce..... (Note: I have a full RA2 system tied into my C4 project with lights, shades, etc..., so I appreciate Lutron quality, but their curtains are nuts. 

On 4/3/2021 at 9:18 AM, rf9000 said:

All,

Looking for some suggestions on motorized drapery rods. I have a room in which we want to incorporate a motorized drape that would slide all the way and stack on the right side. Some nice looking and quiet. Currently have CAT6a ran to the location and can have a power outlet there too if needed. Would want it integrated with C4 to operate via keypad.

Lutron

I have Lutron lighting and blinds but went with Silent Gliss curtain tracks because the stackback with their wave curtains was about 20-30% less. Silent Gliss have a Control4 driver so it integrates really well - I use Control4 to control the blinds in response to button presses on my Lutron keypads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.