C4 Forums | Control4

# of devices supported

alvin

Hi All,

May i know how many devices are supported by CA-1, EA-1,EA3 .. is this controlled by app license?

Also, what is the defination of devices? Is connecting the

8-CHANNEL RELAY C4-DIN-8REL-E1 to CA-1 considered as 1 device or 8?

thanks

alvin

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My EA5 became quite sluggish with around 600-700 devices / drivers. I upgraded to a CA10 which C4 claims can manage 1,000’s but I have only just surpassed the 1,000 mark recently so cannot comment beyond that.

Is yours the biggest C4 install?

My EA5 became quite sluggish with around 600-700 devices / drivers. I upgraded to a CA10 which C4 claims can manage 1,000’s but I have only just surpassed the 1,000 mark recently so cannot comment beyond that.

Is there a way to show a device/driver tally in HE?

Hi Braydon,
Care to explain why panelized control doesnt work with CA-1 ? i do not need any AV controls. 

i thought the CA-1 works with all C4's exisiting hardware's with lower performance.

Thanks

alvin

8 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Also I hope your really not trying to pair panelized lighting with the CA-1. Thats more of an EA3/5 sort of thing most the time.

Hi Braydon,
Care to explain why panelized control doesnt work with CA-1 ? i do not need any AV controls. 

i thought the CA-1 works with all C4's exisiting hardware's with lower performance.

Thanks

alvin

6 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

How do you count 600-700 devices?  Does connecting either a 8 channel dimming module, keypad, sensor, touch display, zigbee or zwave device be considered as 1 device?

11 hours ago, alvin said:

How do you count 600-700 devices?  Does connecting either a 8 channel dimming module, keypad, sensor, touch display, zigbee or zwave device be considered as 1 device?

Best to ask your dealer for design help

would be easier to look at a quote and dissect it vs just tossing out random hardware bits and numbers 

20 hours ago, alvin said:

Hi Braydon,

Thanks

alvin

It does and will - potential issue is simply that if you have a large house running a lot of modules, you may start seeing performance issues.

Can't comment on where that limit would be by the way, it may well be fine, just haven't done a panel system with anything less than an EA5 or maybe an HC800.

To clarify - I DON'T think more than a single 2-unit panel should be attempted with a CA-1. Think a garage overhead suite or pool house sort of thing.

Yeah I mean by all means go ahead and get one of the most high end, premium lighting systems on the market and pair it with the cheapest controller available. You do you.

I will say in the panelized lighting training I am sure I read something along the lines of "If the customer has the budget for panelized lighting, then they have the budget for an EA-5" In training they basically say that as soon as you mention panelized lighting you should be looking at an EA5. Like I say EA3 will do. I wouldn't personally get an EA1 or CA1 and in the scope of a project like this spending the extra $1000 on a nice controller totally makes sense. Still sticking with the EA3 reccomendation.

But like I say, you do you. 

17 hours ago, alvin said:

As recommended above... worth getting your dealers advice.  My dealer strongly recommended the CA10 to me when it came out. This was based on his (more extensive) knowledge of the complexity of my project rather than my counting of devices (which was interesting but nothing more).  What I can say is that the only sluggish behaviour I have seen on my CA10 has been where a driver has had a bug in it...

On 4/5/2021 at 6:32 AM, alvin said:

Hi All,

May i know how many devices are supported by CA-1, EA-1,EA3 .. is this controlled by app license?

Also, what is the defination of devices? Is connecting the

8-CHANNEL RELAY C4-DIN-8REL-E1 to CA-1 considered as 1 device or 8?

thanks

alvin

Processors are selected based on their computing abilities. The more devices a processor looks after, the slower it could operate. The numbers Control4 lists are recommended systems sizes. Sure, there's some overhead in their numbers, and those are recommendations for a good experience. Put too many devices in a system with a small processor and response time suffers, touchscreens longer to refresh. It won't just stop, but it'll run poorly. Control4 says to count each driver in a system as a device, granted some are more intensive and others less, by their count an 8 Panel dimmer counts as 9 devices, 8 lights and the module itself.

I wouldn't run more than 2 panelized modules and a couple keypads/motions etc on a CA1.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

I wouldn't run more than 2 panelized modules and a couple keypads/motions etc on a CA1.

Yeah it wouldn't push it pas a single 2 panel system either.

If ALL you're doing is lighting, but there is a lot of it, personally I'd look at (and quote) a CA-10 if I consider the systems we've done (usually 3 or more 5 slot panels) - I would consider it overkill for only lighting, but spending here is pure processor power vs I/O for an AV system.

3 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Yeah I mean by all means go ahead and get one of the most high end, premium lighting systems on the market and pair it with the cheapest controller available. You do you.

I will say in the panelized lighting training I am sure I read something along the lines of "If the customer has the budget for panelized lighting, then they have the budget for an EA-5" In training they basically say that as soon as you mention panelized lighting you should be looking at an EA5. Like I say EA3 will do. I wouldn't personally get an EA1 or CA1 and in the scope of a project like this spending the extra $1000 on a nice controller totally makes sense. Still sticking with the EA3 reccomendation.

But like I say, you do you. 

Re-reading my own post, it wasn't clear what my stance is (or it would seem opposite from what I meant to say) - I certainly don't recommend a large system on a CA1

Not that I am aware of! I have manually counted 2 or 3 times (out of interest). The first time was when the CA10 came out and I was noticing my EA5 becoming sluggish...

There isn't one in Composer either (only thing we can see is how many zigbee devices)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.