C4 Forums | Control4

Using Control4 switches with other controllers

Yam

Hello, I'm new to Control4 and smart homes in general, so please forgive my ignorance!

I just purchased a home from a fellow who had a Control4 system set up in the house.  All of the light switches appear to be Control4 branded, as well as the thermostat.  There is a managed gigabit network switch with Cat5 running all over the house.  If I don't want to use Control4 (due to cost, complexity, and the closed nature of the system), is there an alternative hub system that will work with the existing switches and thermostat (Google Nest, Alexa, HomeKit, etc.)?

Many thanks for getting me started!

though not possible, there is no on going cost to use lighting in C4 and HVAC in c4.  so maybe you do not want to add audio, video, etc to the system, but it will remain working for lighting.  Oh and C4 works with Alexa, you can tell it to turn lights on/off.  The biggest on going cost for Alexa, and if you want to access your lights when off your home network is $99/year for 4sight (comes with a lot of other stuff too).  and if you are technically inclined you can buy Composer Home Edition - 1x fee of $149 and includes 1 year of 4sight so really like $50 for the software - you can do 95% of the programming a dealer can do.  You cannot add hardware to the project but you can pretty much program/customize the system in great detail using Composer Home Edition

The other option - right out the lighting/controllers and put them on ebay and/or the used section here to help fund your next tech purchase to replace these products.

Depending how many dimmers you have around the house it might actually be cheaper to just stick with C4 and pay some one to modify as needed.

Could be cheaper than replacing every switch with a Caseta. Espcially if your paying an electrician to insall all the new dimmers. And what a downgrade that would be, C4 lighting (at least the latest gen) is better than anything on amazon or home depot. 

Thanks all for your input.  The controller is still present and attached to the network (I think it's the HC-250), although admittedly I'm still trying to untangle exactly how everything in the network is connected.  He also has a Luxul XBR-400 gigabit router, Luxul XMS-1024 gigabit switch, and a Luxul AC1900 XAP-1510 high power WAP.  There is a single 10 inch wall mounted touch screen (C4-WALL10-WH), although it does not seem to turn on and he told me it "needs a new power supply".  I don't have logins or passwords for anything, so without fixing the wall mounted touch screen I'm not sure how else to access the system or if I even can.  

It's a big bummer that owner left you without passwords for the C4 (and for the WAP i presume).  I expect there's a way to deal with that, the dealers here will know.

If you want to not be on C4, the thermostat is no big deal.  You could swap in any number of "smart" thermostats.  How many light switches are we talking about here?  Quality zwave switches (wouldn't do wifi ones) will run you $30-45, so it could be a substantial expense to swap the C4 out (though you could resell the c4 on the used market.  New house is all inovelli red zwave switches.

I think about 13-14 switches.  There is one keypad in the kitchen near the touch screen with 8 buttons and I have zero idea what they do.  

If it makes sense to keep the C4 system (and it sounds like maybe it does), is my best bet just to contact a local dealer and see what I need to do to get it functional? 

(I realized after the first reply to this thread I probably posted in the wrong forum to ask about C4 alternatives lol!)

31 minutes ago, Yam said:

If it makes sense to keep the C4 system (and it sounds like maybe it does), is my best bet just to contact a local dealer and see what I need to do to get it functional? 

That sounds right to me.

32 minutes ago, Yam said:

(I realized after the first reply to this thread I probably posted in the wrong forum to ask about C4 alternatives lol!)

You can ask, but the answer is always “why would you switch”? 😂

1 hour ago, Yam said:

I think about 13-14 switches.  There is one keypad in the kitchen near the touch screen with 8 buttons and I have zero idea what they do.  

Can contact someone local but if you can contact remote dealers on this site too

6 hours ago, Yam said:

Hello, I'm new to Control4 and smart homes in general, so please forgive my ignorance!

I just purchased a home from a fellow who had a Control4 system set up in the house.  All of the light switches appear to be Control4 branded, as well as the thermostat.  There is a managed gigabit network switch with Cat5 running all over the house.  If I don't want to use Control4 (due to cost, complexity, and the closed nature of the system), is there an alternative hub system that will work with the existing switches and thermostat (Google Nest, Alexa, HomeKit, etc.)?

Many thanks for getting me started!

The only reliable way I have made this work without a lot of extra is with Lutron as a bridge but it still dealers to be set up and cost wise is pretty much a loss unless you have a huge lighting system. Just contact a Savant dealer and they will get you all taken care of. 

11 hours ago, AVNeeds said:

The only reliable way I have made this work without a lot of extra is with Lutron as a bridge but it still dealers to be set up and cost wise is pretty much a loss unless you have a huge lighting system. Just contact a Savant dealer and they will get you all taken care of. 

Given someone doesn’t want to be in a closed/dealer system, yet they inherited a c4 system - why suggest a savant dealer? Savant doesn’t tick any boxes from his original needs 

10 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Given someone doesn’t want to be in a closed/dealer system, yet they inherited a c4 system - why suggest a savant dealer? Savant doesn’t tick any boxes from his original needs 

It's an alternative system which was talked about. They also have lighting solutions that don't involve a host or dealer programming... 

1 hour ago, AVNeeds said:

It's an alternative system which was talked about. They also have lighting solutions that don't involve a host or dealer programming... 

from the OP:

"If I don't want to use Control4 (due to cost, complexity, and the closed nature of the system)"

• Cost - Savant is not cheaper than C4 on a whole - let's not go SKU by SKU.  People do not shop Savant vs C4 because of "price"
  • Complexity - from an end users perspective its the same - maybe for a dealer Savant is easier to program than C4, no idea, but again the OP is an end user
  • Closed Nature of the System - C4 has Composer HE which is fairly powerful and even a light When/Then for the less technically inclined.  What does Savant offer?  Not being accusatory as I do not know the answer.  

So if you are recommending the OP go Savant based on their 3 things, you are doing them a disservice.  If they do not want a "closed system" they should look at the really big box store stuff like Alexa, Google Home and tie things through IFTTT or even go the smart hub route through Vera or whoever is left.  Or they can go with a more robust DIY solution like Allonis, Homeseer or Charmed Quark - those 3 are more power but still mostly DIY aka open solutions.

9 hours ago, eggzlot said:

from the OP:

"If I don't want to use Control4 (due to cost, complexity, and the closed nature of the system)"

• Cost - Savant is not cheaper than C4 on a whole - let's not go SKU by SKU.  People do not shop Savant vs C4 because of "price"
  • Complexity - from an end users perspective its the same - maybe for a dealer Savant is easier to program than C4, no idea, but again the OP is an end user
  • Closed Nature of the System - C4 has Composer HE which is fairly powerful and even a light When/Then for the less technically inclined.  What does Savant offer?  Not being accusatory as I do not know the answer.  

So if you are recommending the OP go Savant based on their 3 things, you are doing them a disservice.  If they do not want a "closed system" they should look at the really big box store stuff like Alexa, Google Home and tie things through IFTTT or even go the smart hub route through Vera or whoever is left.  Or they can go with a more robust DIY solution like Allonis, Homeseer or Charmed Quark - those 3 are more power but still mostly DIY aka open solutions.

Again and specifically when it comes to lighting.. Savant has lighting solutions that have NOTHING to do with dealer installation or programming...NOT simpler programming. So those are indeed absolutely lesser expensive to purchase and manage as the end user. 

26 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

Again and specifically when it comes to lighting.. Savant has lighting solutions that have NOTHING to do with dealer installation or programming...NOT simpler programming. So those are indeed absolutely lesser expensive to purchase and manage as the end user. 

Is it cheaper than a wemo switch you can buy off amazon vs buying from a savant dealer?

again doesn’t check the boxes from the OP.  Is that a nice feature sure on paper it seems nice but then you need the savant app.  And could you link these lights to ifttt stuff so they can have it work with other IoT devices as DIY people look to do?  With wemo you can certainly do that 

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Is it cheaper than a wemo switch you can buy off amazon vs buying from a savant dealer?

again doesn’t check the boxes from the OP.  Is that a nice feature sure on paper it seems nice but then you need the savant app.  And could you link these lights to ifttt stuff so they can have it work with other IoT devices as DIY people look to do?  With wemo you can certainly do that 

Glad we got this solved. Wemo or bust. Wonderful. 

On 4/6/2021 at 6:13 PM, AVNeeds said:

Glad we got this solved. Wemo or bust. Wonderful. 

Are you even aware of how you've been 'sounding' lately?

On 4/5/2021 at 5:26 PM, Yam said:

Not an issue to talk about at all - but if you have a house full of C4 lighting devices, you're not going to cheaply get it replaced, and mfgreen's reply of 'no' has nothing to do with being dismissive - it's just a simple enough reality that 'DIY' solutions are NOT able to directly integrate C4 devices - so the short answer is indeed 'no'/

I would suggest looking at getting the C4 setup just for your lighting, get whatever you want for your a/v needs, then see what can be done to combine the two down the road.

ie you can't integrate C4 lighting into alexa as such, but you CAN setup Alexa to work with a Control4 system, more or less just 'read' the lighting devices, and control it through Alexa more or less exclusively.

T stats can be done that way too, but it may be a relatively cheap thing to change out for something more tightly integrated with Alexa (PS I mention Alexa, but Google Home is available too)

On 4/5/2021 at 7:01 PM, AVNeeds said:

Just contact a Savant dealer and they will get you all taken care of. 

Just .... wow.

Just contact another closed system dealer to replace a closed dealer system that OP specifically mentioned he doesn't feel like going with...oh and one that is more expensive to boot, which is another reason by OP not to keep what he has.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:02 AM, AVNeeds said:

No it's not 'which was talked about' - and I'm sure you're smart enough to know that. Get over yourself

40 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Just .... wow.

Just contact another closed system dealer to replace a closed dealer system that OP specifically mentioned he doesn't feel like going with...oh and one that is more expensive to boot, which is another reason by OP not to keep what he has.

No it's not 'which was talked about' - and I'm sure you're smart enough to know that. Get over yourself

I don't care how I "sound". Feel free to tell everyone else who brings up any brand besides Control4 and its glory to get over themselves as well.. Look up Noon lighting. Look up GE C. Don't have a Control4 fan boy reaction when I mention a completely acceptable solution just because its the competition. 

18 hours ago, Control4Sucks said:

I don't care how I "sound". Feel free to tell everyone else who brings up any brand besides Control4 and its glory to get over themselves as well.. Look up Noon lighting. Look up GE C. Don't have a Control4 fan boy reaction when I mention a completely acceptable solution just because its the competition. 

Oh the irony

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.