C4 Forums | Control4

Volume control wall-mount

mujos

Hi,

Am looking for a simple wall-mount "volume knob" to control my multi-zone design with Amp TS-PAMP8-100. I want to give each zone an easy way to turn up/down the volume. Any idea? Thanks

PS: my 8-zone design is composed of C4 EA-3, Audio-matrix TS-AMS8-1165 and Amplifier TS-PAMP8-100

Rotary Volume knobs are not really compatible with a system like Control4, Those are really meant for old school speaker selector systems.

The reason I don't recommend them is because in order for them to work you need to run the Control4 amp 24/7/365 at a high volume and never shut off your stream so your constantly burning power and using bandwidth when your not even listening to the system. 

Control is meant to be turned on / off properly with the app. Not to be running 24/7/365 then volume turned up/down with a knob on the wall.

So long story short your best option is going to be to get Control4 Keypad Dimmers in each room. Not only will they control the light in that room, but you can have some custom buttons to turn on the audio or adjust volume. This is going to be your best option.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, BraydonH said:

Rotary Volume knobs are not really compatible with a system like Control4, Those are really meant for old school speaker selector systems.

The reason I don't recommend them is because in order for them to work you need to run the Control4 amp 24/7/365 at a high volume and never shut off your stream so your constantly burning power and using bandwidth when your not even listening to the system. 

Control is meant to be turned on / off properly with the app. Not to be running 24/7/365 then volume turned up/down with a knob on the wall.

So long story short your best option is going to be to get Control4 Keypad Dimmers in each room. Not only will they control the light in that room, but you can have some custom buttons to turn on the audio or adjust volume. This is going to be your best option.

Would be great if C4 made a keypad with a digital rotary knob kind of like the savant keypad which has both buttons and the knob. 

Capture savant.JPG

8 minutes ago, cshepard said:

Instead of keypad dimmers you could also do C4-KC120277. They can be powered over Category or other LV cable via 48v power supply so you don’t have to mess with high voltage.

This is what I do and then put and up and down arrow key on bottom.   Works fine but the rotary knob would be a lot more practical imho.

The price between a Configurable Keypad and Keypad dimmer is minimal.

And the Keypad dimmer will install quicker because you don't need to retrofit in another electrical box for the keypad, you just replace the switch thats already there.

And you get the benefit of lighting control. So I still say your best off getting the keypad dimmers and replace the switch in every room you want audio control in.

By that point half the lighting in the house will be automated and it wouldn't be hard to add in a few more lights and really get some awesome functionality.

9 hours ago, BraydonH said:

The price between a Configurable Keypad and Keypad dimmer is minimal.

And the Keypad dimmer will install quicker because you don't need to retrofit in another electrical box for the keypad, you just replace the switch thats already there.

And you get the benefit of lighting control. So I still say your best off getting the keypad dimmers and replace the switch in every room you want audio control in.

By that point half the lighting in the house will be automated and it wouldn't be hard to add in a few more lights and really get some awesome functionality.

No argument from me here.

On 4/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, ejn1 said:

Would be great if C4 made a keypad with a digital rotary knob kind of like the savant keypad which has both buttons and the knob. 

Capture savant.JPG

Nice.  Does that knob do volume only or can it be configured to do both volume and light dimming (depending on which button is pressed)?

33 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Nice.  Does that knob do volume only or can it be configured to do both volume and light dimming (depending on which button is pressed)?

I'm not sure as never have used savant.   I saw it on their website and was impressed with the design.  My guess is it does both depending programming but maybe someone familar with savant can chime in.  

Lutron Caseta Pico's make nice audio remotes as well. Not sure of your actual situation.

Using a Lutron Pro Hub on the network, and then wireless remotes, that all gets programed into Control4.

Volume control, on/off, preset recalls. And then have wall mount options. All wireless.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:47 PM, ejn1 said:

I'm not sure as never have used savant.   I saw it on their website and was impressed with the design.  My guess is it does both depending programming but maybe someone familar with savant can chime in.  

On 4/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, dcovach said:

Yes it can do volume, fan speed, local or full scene light dimming... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.