C4 Forums | Control4

Music Skipping

When listening to Amazon music from the controller (EA1) after a little while it starts cutting in and out over and over. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?  Makes it unusable so I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Similar topics have been raised in the past but I don’t see any explanations or solutions other than @South Africa C4 user suggested “dropping the advanced audio setting by one level” but I don’t know where that setting is or if it fixed the problem for others.

I don’t think it is my controller as it isn’t being taxed: CPU usage 5-10% and memory 804MB. Also other threads report similar problems with EA1, multiple EA5s, and an HC250. Also don’t think it is Amazon because other threads say they have problems with Deezer, Pandora, and Napster as well as Amazon.  I don’t think it is my network because that setup is solid and no issues whatsoever using sources linked to sonos connect (which feeds into the C4 integrated audio system) just like the EA1. I’d run everything through sonos connect but that doesn’t allow you to browse music through the C4 app the way that Amazon music does so it has to be run through the controller rather than the sonos connect. 

7 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

What is your EA1 connected to and is it your only Control4 controller?

EA1 goes into an hdmi audio extractor that outputs into an input on my C4 matrix amp. It is my only C4 controller. 

1 minute ago, Dueport said:

EA1 goes into an hdmi audio extractor that outputs into an input on my C4 matrix amp. It is my only C4 controller. 

HDMI audio from controllers requires an EDID. Do you know if your HDMI audio extractor provides EDID management?

6 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

HDMI audio from controllers requires an EDID. Do you know if your HDMI audio extractor provides EDID management?

Had to check but it says it does. I’m using the JTech JTDAT5CH.  It says it has “Audio EDID Settings: 2CH for L/R or SPDIF stereo output; 5.1CH for SPDIF Output, Supports uncompressed audio such as LPCM.... Supports compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital.  Provides the Best Flexibility through Three NEW Audio EDID Settings: Pass, 2CH and 5.1CH....”

I have it set to “2CH.”

2 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

All of that sounds like it should be working. Next step is to get in-depth troubleshooting with Control4 support.

Thank you it is confusing and frustrating so that may be the only option. Would adjusting the “advanced audio setting” help and if so where is that setting?

The max quality setting for audio wouldn't change much. It controls the sample rate of the stream for the Control4 portion of the audio distribution. It won't impact what is downloaded from the streaming service.

The latency levels are to compensate if you stream over WiFi and have a WiFi device cutting in and out.

48 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

The max quality setting for audio wouldn't change much. It controls the sample rate of the stream for the Control4 portion of the audio distribution. It won't impact what is downloaded from the streaming service.

The latency levels are to compensate if you stream over WiFi and have a WiFi device cutting in and out.

That’s too bad. Is there any chance a network setting could be an issue?  I use all ubiquiti gear. Other option would be picking up an EA3 for the audio out to bypass the hdmi extractor and use the special audio chip one the EA3. I hesitate to do that though considering others have had this issue with EA5s so I don’t know that my issue is controller resources. 

7 hours ago, Dueport said:

@Dunamivora  @eggzlot @South Africa C4 user @msgreenf Thanks for weighing in guys - I appreciate it.  I'll give the input and cable switch a try and then reach out to C4 tech support if it is still an issue.  Good to know this isn't a normal experience at least.....

Definitely not normal!

17 hours ago, Dueport said:

Hmm, the extractor should be fine as such but....it the HDMI still fed out to something for on-screen? MANY hdmi audio extractors -including otherwise very good ones- do NOT like to operate without and HDMI output connected and ACTIVE.

If you do have on-screen, have you tried to see if having it on a TV while playing the music makes a difference?

11 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

It could also be the HDMI audio extractor is bad.

Good point - something to test if it continues

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Hmm, the extractor should be fine as such but....it the HDMI still fed out to something for on-screen? MANY hdmi audio extractors -including otherwise very good ones- do NOT like to operate without and HDMI output connected and ACTIVE.

If you do have on-screen, have you tried to see if having it on a TV while playing the music makes a difference?

That's an interesting angle - yes the HDMI continues out of the extractor into a matrix - I'm not sure if that maintains an active output when not viewed by a TV.  I will certainly try turning on the TV and viewing the on-screen during future skipping.

I tried changing inputs on the matrix amp earlier today - and also noticed that I was mistaken on the EDID setting on the HDMI audio extractor - it had been set to "pass" so I switched that to "2 ch."  After changing those two things, we were listing to amazon music in the backyard all afternoon and it didn't skip.....so maybe one/both of those things did the trick.....will keep testing.  

Really appreciate all the help here guys!

I know this doesn’t really help but I just wanted to add that I’ve had the same problem just with Pandora in the past. I’ve also looked through all of the forums when I was having the problem and I was in the same spot as you. I haven’t had the problem in a few months now and my guess is a software update fixed it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.