C4 Forums | Control4

Ripoff Report

Rob33

95% + of all complaints like this that I've ever heard are fixed by one or more of these 3 things :

1.  Some improvements to the strength/reliability of the zigbee network.  Control4 relies on zigbee communication between devices - for example between a remote control and your processor that issues instructions to devices on the system.

2.  Some changes to your wi-fi/router setup to improve strength and reliability.  This is the other half of the system backbone that needs to be well designed to ensure that the system functions 24/7.

3. Some (usually) minor changes to programming to make sure that the system is designed to do what you want it to, when you want it to.  There are several very high quality remote programmers/dealers on this forum who can help you get the best out of your system.  They are almost certainly better than your local guy.

Can you give an example of something that 'rarely works' ?  It might help to begin to diagnose what's going on.

3 hours ago, Rob33 said:

How many of you have been ripped off by Control4?  The system rarely works.  Great salesman, worthless system.

11 years with C4 in my house. Never felt ripped off. Had some frustrations initially. Found a dealer on this forum. Happy since. The dealer is key to a positive experience. 

Installed about 13+ years ago.....never a problem after something is setup.

Many years on this forum, and this thread is a perfect example of an uneducated user probably working with a bad dealer. I'd say get a Harmony, but it looks like the old fashioned box of remotes and getting of your ass to turn off all the lights is the way to go.

12 hours ago, Rob33 said:

How many of you have been ripped off by Control4?  The system rarely works.  Great salesman, worthless system.

If that's really how you feel and are not just trolling these forums for the sake of it, I think you'll find you are in the minority there.

Control4 is a very robust and reliable system, but as with most similar products, it's only as good as the programmer/installer. There's many ways it can be configured incorrectly or at least not as well as it could be and that can result in a poor end user experience. Combined with perhaps dealing with an installer either unwilling or unable to come and fix any issues you are having this will often make clients feel they have been ripped off.

You say "Great salesman, worthless system" which sounds as though they could talk the talk but not walk the walk when it came to actually implementing what you wanted it to do, that in itself is a fault of the salesman and/or programmer and not the Control4 system itself.

As already suggested above, perhaps explaining what you have in your system and what issues you are having in more detail, I'm sure there are several of us on here who could help steer you in the right direction rather than just bad-mouthing the brand without any true basis on which to do so.

15 hours ago, Rob33 said:

call Control4 direct - they have a department that handles these situations

1 (888) 400-4070

Keep in mind C4 does not own/sponsor this forum so if you want to reach them directly - use that phone #.

There are many people on here who can certainly try to help you out as well

What Cyknight said.... 

C4 doesn’t “rip people off”

If you feel ripped off it’s your dealer you have to chat with

A properly executed system with quality components is extremely stable and rarely needs a dealer to be involved 

On 4/12/2021 at 12:11 AM, Rob33 said:

Rob, the issue is if you get a bad dealer - You are buggered - however reach out to dealer on this forum and they will fix everything 

Control4 Pricing at Time is bit on the High Side - Neeo Remote is a classic - £240 to £700 after they bought the company (its the same remote)

However they is a lot good to taken from C4 which us end user are more than happy with once you get a good Dealer. 

We had to get a remote Dealer to sort our Issue out in Early Days and still use one now. 

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Rob, the issue is if you get a bad dealer - You are buggered - however reach out to dealer on this forum and they will fix everything

This is a very good point.  If you get a bad dealer and spent a lot of money with him then you can be in a bad spot. 

You can bring in another dealer to help, but if you need someone else to come in and do work in person then you are likely going to be paying quite a bit to get things up and running correctly.  Many new dealers won't want to take you on to clean up someone else's mess and you aren't going to be inclined to drop a lot of money to fairly compensate the new dealer.  I can see how it can be a very rough situation, unless you have the know-how to take some of this on yourself with an online dealer.

My C4 installation is rock solid. 22 audio zones, 11 4k video zones, wifi mesh network, over 130 zigbee devices on 2 networks, etc, etc.

The equipment itself is VERY solid. It is all about the installer.

Like others have said, if you are having issues you need to be specific and you may find help here...if you actually want help.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

How do we know this happened?  This person literally posted _nothing_ these are all assumptions on what the problems are....

Very true, I suspect he may well be a troll.  But this has happened to others in the past.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 4:58 AM, Crustyloafer said:

If that's really how you feel and are not just trolling these forums for the sake of it, I think you'll find you are in the minority there.

Control4 is a very robust and reliable system, but as with most similar products, it's only as good as the programmer/installer. There's many ways it can be configured incorrectly or at least not as well as it could be and that can result in a poor end user experience. Combined with perhaps dealing with an installer either unwilling or unable to come and fix any issues you are having this will often make clients feel they have been ripped off.

You say "Great salesman, worthless system" which sounds as though they could talk the talk but not walk the walk when it came to actually implementing what you wanted it to do, that in itself is a fault of the salesman and/or programmer and not the Control4 system itself.

As already suggested above, perhaps explaining what you have in your system and what issues you are having in more detail, I'm sure there are several of us on here who could help steer you in the right direction rather than just bad-mouthing the brand without any true basis on which to do so.

Crusty Loafer can you please send me an email asap alexislennon@gmail.com thats alexislennon at gmail dot com thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.