C4 Forums | Control4

Better looking keypads

C4loso

I love C4 but the reason I haven’t jumped into lighting that much is the keypads. Perhaps it’s just me or my taste but it seems C4’s keypads are still oldschool looking and don’t have the refinement that a lutron palladium keypad has.

I have a few dimmer pucks and switches around the house but I’d transition the whole house over in a heartbeat if they were to update their keypads to better looking ones.

again people always seem to go in arms over stuff like this but I’m not trying to bash C4 or anyone who has these keypads in their houses. I’m just stating what I’d like to see as an end user and hopefully C4 has something up their sleeve. Plus I’m also genuinely curious how one with a multi million dollar house with high end gear opts for the C4 keypads these days with the way they look?

B8DB2A83-CDEF-4CEE-9120-066EEFC12F7F.jpeg

FDBD3D17-A2E2-4CF4-A8F1-2FC7EE11EC01.jpeg

51C7D466-8ED9-41DB-98BF-2A5D8FDE6F2B.jpeg

16 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

Kind of not fair to compare C4 lighting to Palladium, that stuff is expensive.  That's like saying I wish C4 could be as custom as Crestron.  That being said the lighting line is due for a little facelift.  

I get the price difference but they can introduce a new lighting device and call it their “premium range” and charge more for it.  

Though I agree C4's lighting lineup has been around a while and could use a refresh - given they just released the Essentials line within the last year - basically a cheaper/limited feature version of the current line up to blend in seamlessly with the current line up - it would seem odd to release a brand new product so soon.  Of course eventually you'll see a change, I just think it would be a bit off.

That said, nothing is stopping someone from using Lutron in a C4 environment so in that respect you have that option to use Palladium.  

Call me crazy but the nicest keypad (aesthetically) of the 3 pictures you posted is without a doubt the black C4 Keypad at the bottom. The white Control4 keypad with the god awful glass plate looks terrible. Hate the way those engravings look too. The C4 faceplates really make the keypad look great. Don't use other brands of face plates.

And dont get me wrong I understand that glass is a premium product and plastic is a cheap product but that palladium keypad is a total gimmick. The glass wall plate looks so small and crappy. The engravings aren't centered. That thing will look super outdated fast. I dunno, I'm not a fan at all. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for that finish. The pricing is out to lunch on Palladium. The only room where that would even make make sense is in a bathroom... but even then. To each their own though.

Depending on the finish of the house go with Snow white (WAY better than regular white) and if you can go with Midnight black (way better than regular black) with a stainless C4 plate.

19 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Call me crazy but the nicest keypad (aesthetically) of the 3 pictures you posted is without a doubt the black C4 Keypad at the bottom. The white Control4 keypad with the god awful glass plate looks terrible. Hate the way those engravings look too. The C4 faceplates really make the keypad look great. Don't use other brands of face plates.

And dont get me wrong I understand that glass is a premium product and plastic is a cheap product but that palladium keypad is a total gimmick. The glass wall plate looks so small and crappy. The engravings aren't centered. That thing will look super outdated fast. I dunno, I'm not a fan at all. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for that finish. The pricing is out to lunch on Palladium. The only room where that would even make make sense is in a bathroom... but even then. To each their own though.

Depending on the finish of the house go with Snow white (WAY better than regular white) and if you can go with Midnight black (way better than regular black) with a stainless C4 plate.

The way you feel about the palladium’s is the way I feel about the C4 stuff. Hence I just think they’d do well with a different line that’s not based on the current lineup.

If only I knew where to begin - a business idea create skins for the keypads. Allow for the same mechanism but different looking keypads. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.