C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Open Status Notification

Hello,

I’m trying to create the following programming in Composer HE. 

When the time is between 9pm and 11:45pm AND the garage door is open send me a push notification saying I have left my garage door open. I have tried this in the Macros Agent but doesn’t seem to work. I have seen suggestions for timers, etc  but would rather not do that  

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, ptmullett said:

Hello,

I’m trying to create the following programming in Composer HE. 

When the time is between 9pm and 11:45pm AND the garage door is open send me a push notification saying I have left my garage door open. I have tried this in the Macros Agent but doesn’t seem to work. I have seen suggestions for timers, etc  but would rather not do that  

Thanks for the help!

the reason people suggest timers is because you'll be a continuous loop with your description.  If you want to know if it was opened, or left open for a certain period of time that would work.  Or at a specific time (9pm) you could check its status and if its open send you an alert.  but just a blanket "send me a notice saying I left my door open" doesn't really translate to programming - which is why people have suggested a timer.  If your sensor polls every second you'll get that message every second, even as you pull into the garage when coming home.  It is not really an elegant or practical set up. Just my two cents.

Personally I use 10 minutes because sometimes the garage can be left open for a bit while unpacking the car, etc.

If you are hell bent on doing it - create a T/F variable called garage door left open.  set up a schedule for 9pm to turn that variable T and a schedule to turn that variable to F at 11:45pm.  Then a simple line of programming to say if variable garage door left open is true - send a text message.  but you'll be getting a lot of text messages....

Didn't think about that and makes sense to me. Thank you. So, lets say I said at 9pm please check to see if my garage door is open and if it is open send me a push notification. What would be the best solution? I just got composer a few days ago, so apologies for beginners type question. 

55 minutes ago, ptmullett said:

Didn't think about that and makes sense to me. Thank you. So, lets say I said at 9pm please check to see if my garage door is open and if it is open send me a push notification. What would be the best solution? I just got composer a few days ago, so apologies for beginners type question. 

everyone was new once - all good

The best solution is trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish.  no one knows the comings/goings of your family so its hard for a stranger to give you advice.  me personally I'd do a timer and if you only care about it being left open at a certain period of time then you use a T/F variable so that timer only works during that time range.

If you just want a note at 9pm if the  door is open that can be done too but what if someone comes home at 9:30 and forgets to close it?

Also - is your concern just leaving it open over night?  Do you have a "good night" routine/scene for the house?  You could potentially execute goodnight and if the door is open, it will close it for you (And turn off misc lights, lock doors, turn off tvs etc) and you won't even need to get a push notification.

so start with WHY you want this notice then we can help you program the HOW

My main concern is leaving open overnight I guess. So maybe I can just create a command that says at 11pm or something shut garage door? Same with my gate. If they are already closed then I guess the command won't execute. One concern would be if someone just so happened to be driving up at that exact time and the gate shut on them or the garage door. Garage door has safety sensors and I guess the gate does too so perhaps not an issue.

do you have an alarm system you turn on at night?

You could say if the time is between 9pm and 3am (maybe a wild night of partying at the house!):

When Alarm is Armed

IF Garage Door is Open
   Send a Push Notice
IF Gate is Open
   Send a Push Notice

so this way when you press arm on your alarm, if its between 9pm - 3am and one of those are open you'll get a push notice, it wont automatically shut the garage door (and assuming you cannot automatically shut your gate but maybe you can but this way it won't happen - just a notice)

I have a goodnight button in our house - it puts the alarm into arm mode, it turns off most of the lights in the common areas, puts on lights at 40% in the bedroom, turns on the TV in the master bedroom, turns off TVs in common rooms, plus it locks my 3 doors and will send me a notice if the garage is open.  so same concept - I just press 1 button to do all of that.  in your case, you can make it a button or just program it off the alarm if your alarm is paired/programmed in Control4.

and this can all be done via Composer HE.

1 hour ago, ptmullett said:

Great idea. I don't have a physical goodnight button, but I can program a custom button or a light switch to do all of that. Thank you!

there ya go

you can make it super easy

when you press the custom button if either gate or garage door is open - send you a push notice

personally I like to "automate" vs control something so that is why i would tie it into putting on the alarm or a good night button you press every night that shuts down the house

if you need help with programming copy/paste what you've done and if its not working let us know whats not working and we can help tweak it

On 4/24/2021 at 8:14 AM, msgreenf said:

use sensor on my garage to turn on LEDs on keypads too. If Doors are open for 30 min it sends me a push alert

I do this with keypads LED's in my hallway and master bathroom.

Also, upon arming my alarm, if the garage door is left open I get an immediate push notification

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.