C4 Forums | Control4

Synology NAS for Video Streaming

Hey everyone,

So I’m trying to understand My Movies in C4. Its in my project, but I don’t see it as an option in Navigator. Been doing some searches and think I understand why, My Movies isn’t a player I believe. So in addition to have the Network File Storage Driver, videos indexed in Media, I also need a player driver?  Is that correct?

I currently use Synologys DS Video when I stream videos with dlna or use the first party DS Video app on devices that has it available. I do have the ability to switch that to a Plex server however.  Before I do the work to do that though, I just wanted to make sure that’s the missing piece, a Plex server and then the Plex driver (guessing from chow main). 

6 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Do you have Roku at your TVs 

I use the Synilogy Plex server and then plex on Roku. 

Can select Plex instead of my movies and no more hardware needed. 

As lippa said you need more hardware for MyMovies 

I have firetvs and xboxes. That’s what I use today with DS Video. Was hoping for a more direct integrated feel though, although definitely not looking to buy more hardware. So even with a Plex driver, I wouldn’t be able to direct connect to Plex server running on the NAS from within Navigator?  Guess I’m still a little confused there. 

13 minutes ago, Topfox said:

I have firetvs and xboxes. That’s what I use today with DS Video. Was hoping for a more direct integrated feel though, although definitely not looking to buy more hardware. So even with a Plex driver, I wouldn’t be able to direct connect to Plex server running on the NAS from within Navigator?  Guess I’m still a little confused there. 

You don’t need Plex Driver either, u use Mini Apps for Roku and u launch Plex directly from FTV or Roku 😁

The My Movies feature requires a media player that is no longer sold.

My Movies does not allow videos played on a controller or touchscreen, the UIs are only used to make a selection to play on the media player.

There is a Plex driver that will make selections from your plex server and play them on a plex capable device.

Just now, Amr said:

You don’t need Plex Driver either, u use Mini Apps for Roku and u launch Plex directly from FTV or Roku 😁

This is my current Setup, I retired both MyMovies and Plex Full apps for a Plex client from Synology Plex Server.

13 hours ago, Topfox said:

You would still need hardware for the playback. 

I know you looking for the best way to navigate your video library INSIDE the C4 gui.....

However, my suggestion would be to instead just use the Plex or Kodi mini drivers in C4 and then use the on screen APP (Plex / Kodi) interface to select your media.

Unlike Music, you are actually going to be watching the TV screen when you select a movie.  So IMO there is no sense in trying to find the right media on the small screen of your remote.

Also, the Plex or Kodi interfaces for browsing your (often huge) libraries are WAY better than C4s.

Anyway, my opinion on this was formed a few years ago so maybe things have changed.  I would be interested in learning if they have.....

2 minutes ago, videostorm said:

I know you looking for the best way to navigate your video library INSIDE the C4 gui.....

However, my suggestion would be to instead just use the Plex or Kodi mini drivers in C4 and then use the on screen APP (Plex / Kodi) interface to select your media.

Unlike Music, you are actually going to be watching the TV screen when you select a movie.  So IMO there is no sense in trying to find the right media on the small screen of your remote.

Also, the Plex or Kodi interfaces for browsing your (often huge) libraries are WAY better than C4s.

Anyway, my opinion on this was formed a few years ago so maybe things have changed.  I would be interested in learning if they have.....

Yep. That’s what I ended up doing over the weekend. I just created mini apps. 

3 hours ago, videostorm said:

I agree that an on screen menu is better than a menu on a remote / touchscreen / iPad for this and there are many better interfaces than C4s (sadly).  Personally I use Infuse Pro for this and have had no complaints since moving from MyMovies (and Dune).

So I have the mini apps setup, but am noticing an issue. The apps are running on FireTV boxes. 

If the TV is off, and everything gets turned on or returned from sleep by me selecting a mini app, it doesn’t seem to be launching the app. It will connect the tv to the right source, but I’ll just be sitting at the FireTV home screen. If I press the mini app again, it does launch the app. It I select any other mini app it will also launch the app on the first try. This only seems to be an issue when I’m launching a mini app when the whole setup is off/asleep. 

Has anyone seen this before or have a workaround thats possibly more clever than programming something like launch mini app twice?

On 5/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, Topfox said:

So I have the mini apps setup, but am noticing an issue. The apps are running on FireTV boxes. 

If the TV is off, and everything gets turned on or returned from sleep by me selecting a mini app, it doesn’t seem to be launching the app. It will connect the tv to the right source, but I’ll just be sitting at the FireTV home screen. If I press the mini app again, it does launch the app. It I select any other mini app it will also launch the app on the first try. This only seems to be an issue when I’m launching a mini app when the whole setup is off/asleep. 

Has anyone seen this before or have a workaround thats possibly more clever than programming something like launch mini app twice?

I never use Plex on FTV as I already have it in Roku and works fine, am sure there is a Mini Apps binding issue, did u have that setup correctly? Can u add another mini app to see if this the issue?

On 5/5/2021 at 6:06 AM, Topfox said:

That can be caused by a timing issue (C4 launches the app, then turns on the TV).  Are you using the latest IRUSB driver from our web site (3.6 I think)? 

Personally i like having a fully integrated media system in Control4.  Its definately the showpiece at my house when guests come around and I select a movie on my T3 in-wall touchscreen and have the magic of automation dim the lights (if they are on), close blinds (if they are open), turn on the receiver, turn on the projector, etc and bam movie is playing.

Media players (and software) that work well for this are (in order of my preference

Here are some screen shots of the various solutions above

Kaleidescape

OS3_NEW.gif

Zappiti

Zappiti+Video+Wall.png

Kodi (old screenshot)

Movies - Recent.png

Plex (old screenshot)

browse library.png

On 5/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, videostorm said:

That can be caused by a timing issue (C4 launches the app, then turns on the TV).  Are you using the latest IRUSB driver from our web site (3.6 I think)? 

Looks like I was 2 versions behind. I had 17 and the latest is 19. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:54 PM, Topfox said:

Looks like I was 2 versions behind. I had 17 and the latest is 19. 

New version seems to be working without issue. The actual response time of the IRUSB seems to be improved as well. Didn’t even realize there was a new version. Thanks for the suggestion. 

On 5/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, Topfox said:

New version seems to be working without issue. The actual response time of the IRUSB seems to be improved as well. Didn’t even realize there was a new version. Thanks for the suggestion. 

You're welcome.  The new version doesn't really change the response time though :)     That only depends on what your Fire device is doing in the background.  Whenever it is dreaming up new recommendations to sell you on Amazon it tends to slow down 😁

With the latest driver, app, and device firmware you do get "long" press support though.  That will work by default on the arrow keys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.