C4 Forums | Control4

Adding Amp Question

I have a C4 8 channel audio amplifier matrix and have run out of channels (I do have one slot of a channel open, but I don't think there is any way I can use it). The issue I have is that I have a room where I'm just putting one two way speaker. As a result, I need to add another amp to the system, but I only need one channel. Since I only need to add one speaker, I'm looking for the cheapest solution to be able to hook the speaker into my c4 audio system. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good cheap one or two channel amp? Would consider the c4 four channel amplifier, but not looking to spend more than a couple hundred.  Also, in order to connect everything, do I just use the digital inputs?

Would something like this work: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-with-bluetooth-black/6187501.p?skuId=6187501&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=168&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwweyFBhDvARIsAA67M71_vEkoBYB5LLm-f9Dvx_y480FQZEajd5tJEXPyeAt_OM430UQIzIAaAkWnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My primary concern is that there isn't any IP control, so I don't think it would work, but correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I can use IR?

Thanks in advance,

If you have a c4 matrix amp that is maxed out and you want to add a single zone you may have some issues depending on what you want this additional zone to be able to listen to. What are your sources that are connected to the existing rooms? That amp you linked is a dumb amp so it needs signal fed into it. So if all you want is c4 music you need to plug an open output of a c4 processor into it and connect your speakers. If you have cable boxes and other sources you won't be able to listen to them in that zone without adding an audio matrix and locking the matrix amps inputs or some other hoop jumping to accomplish source selection

3 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

If you have a c4 matrix amp that is maxed out and you want to add a single zone you may have some issues depending on what you want this additional zone to be able to listen to. What are your sources that are connected to the existing rooms? That amp you linked is a dumb amp so it needs signal fed into it. So if all you want is c4 music you need to plug an open output of a c4 processor into it and connect your speakers. If you have cable boxes and other sources you won't be able to listen to them in that zone without adding an audio matrix and locking the matrix amps inputs or some other hoop jumping to accomplish source selection

Ok, but could I not "daisy chain" the audio matrix to the dumb amp in order to get all of the sources to it including the cable boxes, provided they are all hooked into the matrix amp?

1 hour ago, nevets23 said:

I have a C4 8 channel audio amplifier matrix and have run out of channels (I do have one slot of a channel open, but I don't think there is any way I can use it). The issue I have is that I have a room where I'm just putting one two way speaker. As a result, I need to add another amp to the system, but I only need one channel. Since I only need to add one speaker, I'm looking for the cheapest solution to be able to hook the speaker into my c4 audio system. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good cheap one or two channel amp? Would consider the c4 four channel amplifier, but not looking to spend more than a couple hundred.  Also, in order to connect everything, do I just use the digital inputs?

Would something like this work: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-with-bluetooth-black/6187501.p?skuId=6187501&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=168&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwweyFBhDvARIsAA67M71_vEkoBYB5LLm-f9Dvx_y480FQZEajd5tJEXPyeAt_OM430UQIzIAaAkWnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My primary concern is that there isn't any IP control, so I don't think it would work, but correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I can use IR?

Thanks in advance,

You're putting in one speaker or a single dual voice coil (stereo) speaker?  If it's the latter you need a 2ch solution just fyi. 

3 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

The matrix amp only has speaker outputs not rca to feed the dumb amp. So you should have an audio matrix probably the triad ams24. That allows you to exceed 9 zones for the 8 zones on your matrix amp plus the new amp.

Ok, so I think I may have found a way around having to buy a new matrix amp. One of my audio zones currently contains three speakers. As of right now, I have two speakers hooked up to one zone, and the third speaker hooked up to a different channel/zone. I link them via composer to make it so when zone 1 comes on, so does zone 2 (with the one speaker in it). Can I not just either (1) connect the third speaker to one of the outputs in zone 1 (so three speakers are being powered by one zone/two speaker powered by the same channel) or (2) connect the third speaker in series? All three speakers are the exact same model, and are in the same room

If I can do that, I can use the other free zone for the speaker I'm trying to fit.

I don't know the ohms of the speakers off the top of my head, but the c4 matrix spec sheet says each channel is rated for 120w at 8 ohms or 220 at 4ohms, so I believe it should work.

19 hours ago, nevets23 said:

Ok, so I think I may have found a way around having to buy a new matrix amp. One of my audio zones currently contains three speakers. As of right now, I have two speakers hooked up to one zone, and the third speaker hooked up to a different channel/zone. I link them via composer to make it so when zone 1 comes on, so does zone 2 (with the one speaker in it). Can I not just either (1) connect the third speaker to one of the outputs in zone 1 (so three speakers are being powered by one zone/two speaker powered by the same channel) or (2) connect the third speaker in series? All three speakers are the exact same model, and are in the same room

If I can do that, I can use the other free zone for the speaker I'm trying to fit.

I don't know the ohms of the speakers off the top of my head, but the c4 matrix spec sheet says each channel is rated for 120w at 8 ohms or 220 at 4ohms, so I believe it should work.

Any one have any ideas on this setup?

On 6/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, nevets23 said:

You can hook up all 3 if you want... or be more "official" and get an inexpensive speaker selector with impedance matching. That gives you a solid plan for this new additional zone. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.