C4 Forums | Control4

How to add second audio zone using an EA-3?

Jeffrey

Question

I have an EA-3 that controls my Anthem MRX520 in a 5.1 set up in my family room.  I'd like to add a pair of outdoor speakers as a separate zone to my set up and utilize my existing Apple TV to play music outside.  I contacted Anthem who responded with this: You need a separate 2ch amplifier to power the z2 speakers.  You can use the apple TV as a mirrored video source using out2, but you will need an HDMI extractor to put sound out to z2

I do have an old Rotel receiver that I could repurpose to drive the outdoor speakers.  So should I ditch trying to use the MRX520 second zone and use the old Rotel to with control4 instead?  My thought was I could have the Rotel added back into my set up and use an IR emitter for control and send audio to the Rotel using a 3.5mm to RCA plugs. The 3.5mm analog plug is the only audio out I have left on the EA-3 so hopefully that is ok.  

Thanks,

Jeff

10 answers to this question

I mean I'm assuming you want to use the AppleTV audio so you can AirPlay.

If that's the case then why not just use Control4's built in shairbridge and audio out of the EA-3 into the amp that will power your outdoor speakers. Then you would also get TuneIn and the other C4 media services as well.

1 minute ago, BraydonH said:

If that's the case then why not just use Control4's built in shairbridge and audio out of the EA-3 into the amp that will power your outdoor speakers. Then you would also get TuneIn and the other C4 media services as well.

Sorry I am confusing the subject.  Forgot that C4 natively can use Amazon Music.  Streaming Amazon Music is really all that we need it to do.  How would that be best accomplished in my scenario?  Thanks!

Just now, BraydonH said:

Best accomplished by audio out of EA-3 into amp for outdoor speakers. Then probably an IR or IP driver to control the amp. Skip on the AppleTV audio extraction stuff. 

Thanks.  Will the remaining 3.5 mm analog output that I have left on my EA-3 do this ok?  For some reason I thought there might be an issue mixing the digital audio (which I use to stream inside to my 5.1 setup) and analog audio streaming might not work.  Not sure though.  

1 hour ago, BraydonH said:

This would be the recommendation, but understand that you'll want to use shairbridge for the main zone as well (at least when you want both zones to play the same thing)

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

Thanks.  Will the remaining 3.5 mm analog output that I have left on my EA-3 do this ok?  For some reason I thought there might be an issue mixing the digital audio (which I use to stream inside to my 5.1 setup) and analog audio streaming might not work.  Not sure though.  

And yes you can use the 3.5mm along the digital output as well - not an issue at all. (HDMI and one or both of the other two can be an issue)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.