C4 Forums | Control4

LED Light Integration - Best Method

becnel51

Question

I have the following LED light strip on back of a TV: Govee Immersion. The company also provided me with an API key and API code reference guide upon request. 

I'm looking for the best / suggested methods to integrate this product into my C4 system. Honestly I would be completely satisfied with "On / OFF" and "Brightness" control. Ideally I would like the lights to follow / mimic the TV's power state, and some brightness control would be nice. The TV is already integrated into my C4 system (LG C1). 

Should I get a dealer / someone to make a custom driver? Or would I be better off with Chowmain's TCP Command Driver? Honestly I'm not certain if either method would work, but hoping someone here would have some ideas. I'm pretty good with setting things up / programming / & automation within the Composer software, but I have almost no knowledge when it comes to custom drivers and actual coding. 

@Matt Lowe@msgreenf@alanchow@chopedogg88 or anyone else, any advice / suggestions is appreciated. Thanks. 

12 answers to this question

Just want to ensure that you are able to connect this to the wifi in your house.  Some of these devices use Bluetooth which wouldn't be good.

What app does the Govee use?  There are a bunch of drivers that can control light strips of various types.  One very poplar type uses the Flex or Magic Home app. There is a driver for that but I don't use that.  I use a hacked method using the TCP Driver.

If you can't find anything from Govee then you can probably replace the controller with one that is compatible, like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/YETAIDA-Controller-Control-Compatible-Android/dp/B07Q58XG88

We don't have a solution currently.  We reached out to Govee a while back to get their API and didn't get a response so i'll reach out again.  Regardless even if we get it into our queue it will take some time before we get one released so don't expect anything anytime soon.

@zaphodYes the Govee lights are connected via wi-fi (this I'm certain of). I believe they can also connect via Bluetooth. And yes, Govee has and Android and IOS app, called Govee Home (basically to control all their products).

@alanchowIf you have a Govee product, after you set it up in their app, you can submit a request for the API. I believe it's under the profile settings. They literally email you everything you need within an hour or so. Here is a link to their latest API Guide (also attached). I can also DM you the API key they provided me, if that will help you in anyway. Just let me know. 

As for possible current solutions...(until @alanchow makes a driver)... I'm up for any suggestions? I was thinking possibly Amazon Alexa. The device is compatible with Alexa and Google. I know the LG C1 is compatible with both also. Maybe an Alexa routine? 

Ultimately I would prefer not to have to issue a verbal command via Alexa or Google, and just have the automation controlled via C4. Hence, simple programming where the Govee lights follow the power state of the TV..., but I don't think that is something I can personally accomplish at this time. Unless anyone has some clever ideas???

Thanks for the replies, and @alanchow let me know if their is anyway I can assist, with that potential / future driver. 

GoveeAPIReference.pdf

Assuming that the strips are your basic 5050 LEDs that use a 4 pin connector (or 5 pin for RGBW) then the easiest way to get control in C4 is to change to a C4 compatible controller.

Does your connector look like the four pin below?
200Pcs-10mm-4-Pin-RGB-LED-Strip-Connecto

14 hours ago, becnel51 said:

@zaphodYes the Govee lights are connected via wi-fi (this I'm certain of). I believe they can also connect via Bluetooth. And yes, Govee has and Android and IOS app, called Govee Home (basically to control all their products).

@alanchowIf you have a Govee product, after you set it up in their app, you can submit a request for the API. I believe it's under the profile settings. They literally email you everything you need within an hour or so. Here is a link to their latest API Guide (also attached). I can also DM you the API key they provided me, if that will help you in anyway. Just let me know. 

As for possible current solutions...(until @alanchow makes a driver)... I'm up for any suggestions? I was thinking possibly Amazon Alexa. The device is compatible with Alexa and Google. I know the LG C1 is compatible with both also. Maybe an Alexa routine? 

Ultimately I would prefer not to have to issue a verbal command via Alexa or Google, and just have the automation controlled via C4. Hence, simple programming where the Govee lights follow the power state of the TV..., but I don't think that is something I can personally accomplish at this time. Unless anyone has some clever ideas???

Thanks for the replies, and @alanchow let me know if their is anyway I can assist, with that potential / future driver. 

GoveeAPIReference.pdf 141.04 kB · 2 downloads

On a quick search, it looks like Govee is at least on IFTTT. So if you have your LG C1 on IP control so that C4 knows power state, you could use the IFTTT driver and have C4 send on/off commands via IFTTT to your light strip based on the power state of the TV. 

23 hours ago, alanchow said:

I see. Thats where we went from.  We contacted them from their website and never heard back.

I don't have product but i'll buy one of each to do testing.  HOpefully they'll send to Australia.

I couldn't purchase it directly from the govee website but managed to buy it through amazon.  Bought sockets, bulbs (color + non color), led strips (normal + immersion) with expedited shipping.

Once it arrives give us 6 weeks of development time so i assume we'll have a driver by mid August.

15 minutes ago, becnel51 said:

Thanks @rea I didn't even consider IFTTT, I may use that as a temporary solution.

And Thanks @alanchow, really looking forward to the driver. I'm sure you won't..., but let me know if want / need anyone to test it.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. 

It is a pretty straight forward API. We've done lots of lighting products so this will much similar to all of the others.  No testing required from anyone on this project.

Integration is going well.  Though the API does not provide me with as much functionality as i would hope.

As such the Govee immersion is limited to on/off and brightness based control (as we can't switch between the movie mode and the RGB colours).

The RGB and Color Temp does work however you can't return to the movie mode if you use the driver to adjust RGB / Color Temp.

However if you want to tie in the light to turn on/off to a specific brightness when your TV is on then yes we can do that.

I expect this driver to be ready in the coming week or two.

I bought one of these Zigbee RGBW controllers and a cheap roll of compatible RGBW light strips, and when powered on, they can be linked to the Philips Hue app for control. This was much more cost effective than buying 16’ of Philips Hue strips. You can control them using Control4, but I would only recommend these if you were planning to stick to one color and use C4 to power on/off. It’s possible to change the colors using C4, but it’s easier using the Hue app

https://www.amazon.com/GIDERWEL-Controller-Lightify-Controlled-Include/dp/B07NQC5V3S

By the way, all these LED strips are basically the same no matter who the manufacturer is. If you can find the model number of a specific strip and either a WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, etc controller, you can piece together everything yourself through Superbrightleds.com. I’ve done this a couple of times and integrated the generic LED strips into someone else’s app to control them. Which app depends on the type of controller you decided to use, WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, RF, etc. You must be certain that you’re buying the right controller, transformer, and LED strip, but if you’re running 100+ feet, it would be huge savings. For a 10’-15’ run, buying a bundle from Govee, Yeelight, Hue, LIFX, etc is more convenient 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.