C4 Forums | Control4

Snap Versabox Pro / Related Questions

ejn1

Hi,  I need to wire power, ethernet and AV cables into a flush mount box to go behind a wall mount TV over a fireplace and mantle.   I don't need to put AV devices like Roku, ATV into the box as I was going to route the cables to a nearby cabinet where I can put any source devices along with maybe a one connect box if I go Samsung.  Question is the Versabox the way to go or would anyone recommend a different brand/option?

Second question: Is the Samsung Frame TV and solid choice for visual appeal in a nicely appointed living area or is it a bit hokey /  techie in actual installs (vs the great marketing hype shots on Samsungs website)?   I know the FrameTV is not the best pure TV for the money but question is more around the look of the TV when off and with paintings visible.

Lastly,  I hate to mount a TV too high but I may have to make a sacrifice.   The bottom of the 65" TV would be about 62" off the floor.   Any views whether this is a "manageable height" or would it just be misery at that angle.  

Many thanks!

• ejn1 changed the title to Snap Versabox Pro / Related Questions

41 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Hi,  I need to wire power, ethernet and AV cables into a flush mount box to go behind a wall mount TV over a fireplace and mantle.   I don't need to put AV devices like Roku, ATV into the box as I was going to route the cables to a nearby cabinet where I can put any source devices along with maybe a one connect box if I go Samsung.  Question is the Versabox the way to go or would anyone recommend a different brand/option?

Second question: Is the Samsung Frame TV and solid choice for visual appeal in a nicely appointed living area or is it a bit hokey /  techie in actual installs (vs the great marketing hype shots on Samsungs website)?   I know the FrameTV is not the best pure TV for the money but question is more around the look of the TV when off and with paintings visible.

Lastly,  I hate to mount a TV too high but I may have to make a sacrifice.   The bottom of the 65" TV would be about 62" off the floor.   Any views whether this is a "manageable height" or would it just be misery at that angle.  

Many thanks!

Versabox is great. Arlington makes great back boxes as well. 

Samsung Frame TV certainly has a good enough picture compared to a lot of TV and isn't made from the lower house products so don't have any shame in that either. The frame mode is actually pretty spot on and if you use their picture frame mount or something of similar purpose to make flat as normal wall art it really take on that look. 

Some would say 62" is on the high side  but not ridiculous and certainly not bad for a mantel....  TV height is somewhat dependent on how far aware you are seated... exceptions are laying in bed or seriously reclined seating... but its all personal taste. 

a few things,  versabox is fine, but any flushmount box would work.

i have a samsung frame,  for the money, i do not think it was worth it,  its a clean look, i never use the art mode.

one thing you should consider is that the samsung frame (atleast the one i have) is a one connect single cable device, which means you need a giant box connected to the tv,  this cable is not wall rated, so you need to hide that giant one connect box behind the tv, and it DOES NOT fit in a standard versabox,  snapav have released an extra large versabox specifically to fit this device in it (i do not have this, and endeed up cutting a giant hole in my box)

hope this helps

5 minutes ago, malelan said:

a few things,  versabox is fine, but any flushmount box would work.

i have a samsung frame,  for the money, i do not think it was worth it,  its a clean look, i never use the art mode.

one thing you should consider is that the samsung frame (atleast the one i have) is a one connect single cable device, which means you need a giant box connected to the tv,  this cable is not wall rated, so you need to hide that giant one connect box behind the tv, and it DOES NOT fit in a standard versabox,  snapav have released an extra large versabox specifically to fit this device in it (i do not have this, and endeed up cutting a giant hole in my box)

hope this helps

Thanks,  I'm going to run the connect cable behind the wall and maybe in a conduit,  i just don't see the risk at that voltage / wattage but if someone has a different opinion then please share.   I can fit the XL versabox just not sure it's worth it at this stage.  Can you please elaborate on why you never ran art mode?  

26 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  I'm going to run the connect cable behind the wall and maybe in a conduit,  i just don't see the risk at that voltage / wattage but if someone has a different opinion then please share.   I can fit the XL versabox just not sure it's worth it at this stage.  Can you please elaborate on why you never ran art mode?  

not a different opinion,  its just that i'm an installer so i can't like willingly break code there...  if its in your own house, i don't thinkt here is a massive risk there.

art mode just isn't for us,  maybe because the tv is in a bedroom, so it doesn't have a lot of foot traffic, or maybe we just aren't into it.

9 minutes ago, malelan said:

not a different opinion,  its just that i'm an installer so i can't like willingly break code there...  if its in your own house, i don't thinkt here is a massive risk there.

art mode just isn't for us,  maybe because the tv is in a bedroom, so it doesn't have a lot of foot traffic, or maybe we just aren't into it.

many thanks, was just curious as would think that's the primary reason anyone would pick that model.   Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

many thanks, was just curious as would think that's the primary reason anyone would pick that model.   Thanks again.

yeah i understand that,  in spots where we wanted art, we bought art,  the tv was a purchase because of the aesthetic of the frame and the location its in,  i regret the purchase haha

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

1) Question is the Versabox the way to go or would anyone recommend a different brand/option?

2) Is the Samsung Frame TV and solid choice for visual appeal in a nicely appointed living area or is it a bit hokey /  techie in actual installs

3) Any views whether this is a "manageable height" or would it just be misery at that angle.  

Many thanks!

1) Versabox will work just fine. Others exist but it's pure preference on what is better really

2) It's quite nice. Is it hyped - sure, but it makes true for the most part.

3) It's high, but not terrible provided the distance for viewing is not too close (and give you a sore neck from looking up). I have one mounted at a little higher than that (55") and it's really no concern at all sitting 6-10 feet away. If you're sitting at the corner of the cough at 3-4f my neck will start hurting after awhile... Biggest downside in your setup here is that the frame tv would be mounted fully flush, which can make it look a bit dimmer than if you were viewing it straight on, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  I'm going to run the connect cable behind the wall and maybe in a conduit,  i just don't see the risk at that voltage / wattage but if someone has a different opinion then please share.

The risk isn't the voltage as such - it's that the cable is just....fragile. And for the replacement cost, I'd get and fit an XL if I could.

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

1) Versabox will work just fine. Others exist but it's pure preference on what is better really

2) It's quite nice. Is it hyped - sure, but it makes true for the most part.

3) It's high, but not terrible provided the distance for viewing is not too close (and give you a sore neck from looking up). I have one mounted at a little higher than that (55") and it's really no concern at all sitting 6-10 feet away. If you're sitting at the corner of the cough at 3-4f my neck will start hurting after awhile... Biggest downside in your setup here is that the frame tv would be mounted fully flush, which can make it look a bit dimmer than if you were viewing it straight on, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

Thanks,  main sofa for viewing would be about 14ft back so not right up on it.   I read on one review that the panel used doesnt have a wide viewing area vs others.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

The risk isn't the voltage as such - it's that the cable is just....fragile. And for the replacement cost, I'd get and fit an XL if I could.

That was my thinking so thanks for confirming.   It just doesnt have the protective sheathing like romex.   It will not be in an area with really any risk of puncture.  

10 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  main sofa for viewing would be about 14ft back so not right up on it.   I read on one review that the panel used doesnt have a wide viewing area vs others.

True, but it's no worse than most better TVs from 3 years ago. So do other current TVs have better viewing angles - absolutely. Is that really a huge concern in the situation you're describing - not likely.

9 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

That was my thinking so thanks for confirming.   It just doesnt have the protective sheathing like romex.   It will not be in an area with really any risk of puncture.  

Not just puncture, we hate running the cable at all, even in extra wide conduit by itself for any lenght (ie a 3f drop is no issue) because it's just so flimsy - high risk of twisting and binding on itself, and then a high risk of damage. It can certainly be done, but if you're running it off to the side....well it's your stuff to break or not.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Not just puncture, we hate running the cable at all, even in extra wide conduit by itself for any lenght (ie a 3f drop is no issue) because it's just so flimsy - high risk of twisting and binding on itself, and then a high risk of damage. It can certainly be done, but if you're running it off to the side....well it's your stuff to break or not.

i have to run it in a open cavity behind the mantel area for the gas fireplace to an adjacent cabinet about 8-9ft (vs having to fish it any distance in a wall).   I ran a MTP Fiber cable almost 110ft in walls/attic so this will be a lot easier :)   

One other question comes to mind,  If I put the Wattbox flush into the bottom of the Versabox as they advertise, the power inlet is in the front of the Wattbox.   Does this mean you still have to install an outlet inside the Versabox and then run a short power cable to the Wattbox?   Or do others run a terminated romex straight into the box and into the Wattbox?

Thx!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.