C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer issue

Bullseye

I just added 2 used dimmers to my system.  When wired they work properly, but when added and identified on the system they no longer respond to pressing, but can be controlled thru the app.  What could be wrong?

the dimmers are c4-dim1

You have to go into composer and then into programing. These older c4 dimmers act weird when then are identified into a newer system. I am guessing that you are running a newer version of c4? if you are running 3.x then yes; after they are identified, then go to programing; on the upper left of composer you will see a box that says "device event". You will choose the 1st dimmer you added. You will then see below a drop down menu for button events. hit the drop down menu and choose the top, then below it choose pressed, released. single tap, double tap or triple tap. then on the right top side of composer you should see a box that says "Device Action". Choose the same dimmer and when you click on that dimmer to choose it you will see below it more options appeared. now choose for example under "the device name that you chose" actions: to be able to turn it on or off, or a certain level, ect..

So lets say you called it kitchen dimmer. Then under Device event you will choose that kitchen dimmer and now the box under Device event will say "Kitchen dimmer event". Same thing on the right side. When you choose the kitchen dimmer under the Device action box, then the box under device action will now say Kitchen dimmer action. 

If you have any problems or need more help, please don't hesitate to email me at my normal email

Nick@wanerka.com 

I am a Control4 dealer but new to Control4. I have been certified in C4 for about 7 months now but have been doing automation for quite some time now. I started with all the "Homeowner" crap on the market, then stepped up to Clare home automation and then to URC Home automation (Just like C4) and also certified in all the Lutron lighting automations. Lutron Caseta, RA2 Select and Radio Ra 2. So I try to help others as it was very hard for me in the beginning to find other to help me. Just trying to give back and not charge for remote work like a lot of others are doing.

Thanks for your help, I was replacing some dimmers that I thought were broken, but the ones removed were doing the same thing.  Time to check the old ones.

Thanks again!!

And yes, things has changed a lot in this place !!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.