C4 Forums | Control4

Using email to cause an action in Control4

eggzlot

Is there a way to say if I get an email with "XYZ" as the subject line, do an Action in Control4?

The IFTTT Driver can send emails if something is triggered, but the device I am trying to get intro Control4 is only compatible with Alexa/Google Home, not IFTTT, no C4 drivers, etc.  But the device can send me emails so I could program off an email somehow.

Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Is there a way to say if I get an email with "XYZ" as the subject line, do an Action in Control4?

The IFTTT Driver can send emails if something is triggered, but the device I am trying to get intro Control4 is only compatible with Alexa/Google Home, not IFTTT, no C4 drivers, etc.  But the device can send me emails so I could program off an email somehow.

Thoughts?

Roundabout solution follows....

1. In SplashTiles, setup a TTS  (text to screen) macro.   This gives you a unique email address you can send to to trigger this macro
  2. In the macro, send a NetPlay Cloud protocol command to trigger the EVENTx event on our driver
  3. Add C4 programming to fire the action required on EVENTx

You would need our NetPlay Cloud driver installed and connected.  Also, we don't currently expose the NetPlayCloud protocol commands in our web based macro builder.  If you want to try this out just put in a ticket and we can add that.  Didn't have a use case for it before.....

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

Roundabout solution follows....

1. In SplashTiles, setup a TTS  (text to screen) macro.   This gives you a unique email address you can send to to trigger this macro
  2. In the macro, send a NetPlay Cloud protocol command to trigger the EVENTx event on our driver
  3. Add C4 programming to fire the action required on EVENTx

You would need our NetPlay Cloud driver installed and connected.  Also, we don't currently expose the NetPlayCloud protocol commands in our web based macro builder.  If you want to try this out just put in a ticket and we can add that.  Didn't have a use case for it before.....

Thanks - will discuss this option with my dealer.

On 6/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

IFTTT can see when certain emails are received (eg gmail).  I used this for a while but it was bit slow (I think it scanned my gmail account for relevant received emails) every 15 minutes or something like that).

15 minutes may be a bit too long for this use case but appreciate the idea

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.