C4 Forums | Control4

How to create a status screen

I'm looking to have a status screen (or room) that shows the garage doors and some of the house doors and if they are open or closed.

on my phone or from a C4 screen I already can go to the garage (room) and see the doors.

To check doors, I would have to go into the alarm status and look for them, to see open/close status.

I would love to have a "room" called Status and see both the garage doors and various doors in the house (without having to scroll through alarm monitoring).

How would I do this? or is there a driver I should look at?

thanks.

You can just create a room called Status and then favorite all of those items to that room screen.  For the alarm zones, you may need to add a separate generic contact sensor driver (Garage Door - Contact for example), and bind it to the zone on the alarm system driver.  Then favorite the contact sensor driver to the Status room, because you can't favorite the alarm zone directly.

12 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

You can just create a room called Status and then favorite all of those items to that room screen.  For the alarm zones, you may need to add a separate generic contact sensor driver (Garage Door - Contact for example), and bind it to the zone on the alarm system driver.  Then favorite the contact sensor driver to the Status room, because you can't favorite the alarm zone directly.

Thanks. Actually far easier once I knew what i was looking for.

Just go to locks and sensors in room properties and make sure the one's I wanted are shown. THen as you mention, all i have to do is favorite them.

thanks.

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Ironically, that's exactly what i built.....

Except mine are using Auto Lock UIButtons, so they show the lock status as well as the door open/closed status, and my garage doors are using the UIButton version that shows partially opened garage doors, since I have both 'fully opened' and 'fully closed' sensors on each door...

:)

The other advantage to using 2 sensors per door, you can now also program for 'garage door didn't close in time', using the garage door UIButton driver, so I don't have to have a notification that the door is being closed, and that it's now closed, I can just program a notification on the failure to close when it's been requested.

RyanE

10 hours ago, RyanE said:

Except mine are using Auto Lock UIButtons, so they show the lock status as well as the door open/closed status, and my garage doors are using the UIButton version that shows partially opened garage doors, since I have both 'fully opened' and 'fully closed' sensors on each door...

The other advantage to using 2 sensors per door, you can now also program for 'garage door didn't close in time', using the garage door UIButton driver, so I don't have to have a notification that the door is being closed, and that it's now closed, I can just program a notification on the failure to close when it's been requested.

RyanE

I'm not worthy.   :)

11 hours ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

I just set a 1 hr timer if the door is still open it alerts me and tries to close it. Have a variable to turn this off if I'm working out in the garage. 

If you use the garage agent there already exists fail to open, failed to close and left open alerts with custom notifications for each.  Also, you can double tap the icon and SLEEP the notifications for a few hours if you’re leaving the garage door open for a while.  The garage agent I believe is the most advanced garage integration out there. I’d recommend checking it out.  

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/garage-agent/

1 hour ago, Cinegration said:

If you use the garage agent there already exists fail to open, failed to close and left open alerts with custom notifications for each.  Also, you can double tap the icon and SLEEP the notifications for a few hours if you’re leaving the garage door open for a while.  The garage agent I believe is the most advanced garage integration out there. I’d recommend checking it out.

Sounds cool, except I hate that they call it an 'agent', when that word has a very specific meaning within Control4, and that isn't actually an agent, it's a driver.

RyanE

Just now, RyanE said:

Sounds cool, except I hate that they call it an 'agent', when that word has a very specific meaning within Control4, and that isn't actually an agent, it's a driver.

RyanE

I thought agents were blocks of actions that help connect multiple 'drivers' together or provide home automation actions for Custom Programming.  In this case, the 'garage agent' takes existing driver sensors and relay control and moves them into a bundled package to provide custom notifications all from a single window.  Since Garage, Battery, Voice, Temperature, Modes etc... are home automation ideas (like Advanced Lighting) with general actions and events they should be called Agents not drivers.  IMO a driver is more of an explicit integration driver for a specific brand or device.  I also think each Control4 Pillar, Watch, Listen, Comfort, Security etc should have agents attached so a dealer can customize just that pillar.  I also agree, 'Garage' is more a device not an agent but then we wouldn't have been able to offer the 'Agent Bundle' which is all our driver-agents we created in one collection :).  

That being said,  you are the grand master :). 

56 minutes ago, Cinegration said:

I thought agents were blocks of actions that help connect multiple 'drivers' together or provide home automation actions for Custom Programming.

Agents show up under the 'Agents' section in ComposerPro.  Anything that doesn't show up there isn't an agent.

Certainly, there are many drivers that act like agents, and have agent-like functionality, but an agent is a specific thing within ComposerPro and within Control4 system.

I've named a driver an agent before (Light Usage Agent), but it doesn't make it one, and I try to not do that these days, and of course, you're not kicked out of the club if you do so...  :)

Also, typically agents operate on a set of devices (lights, thermostats, whole project, etc.), not on (as in this case) a limited set of contacts/relays.

Operating on a set of devices was originally my justification for naming Light Usage Agent, since it operates (potentially) on all lights in the project.

This is, of course, just my opinion, so you can take that for what it's worth...

RyanE

3 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Has C4 ever considered adding a Status screen rather than dealers/users having to use a klugey solution in creating a fake room?

I’ve wondered how this would be done but since every home and owner has different wants of whaat they think is ‘status’ making a room works and is simple and fast to do. 

You could add anything to the Status screen and it could be more prominent - like the default when you open the app, and when you tap the C4 icon in the top left it could always be there so you are never more than two quick taps away from it.

So you can do this by making the room the first room in the project and/or configure your all to go to that too by default.  You can also setup a favorite so it’s just a swipe to get to it. This is how we setup our projects. It’s not a 
specific smart dashboard but close enough. 

2 hours ago, Cinegration said:

I’ve wondered how this would be done but since every home and owner has different wants of whaat they think is ‘status’ making a room works and is simple and fast to do. 

Could make it customizable on customer.control4.com where a homeowner can decide what they want to put on or leave off a status page

your posts have made me consider working on setting up “status room” to mimic the same concept but I think c4 could implement it if there was enough general interest 

A room works well for me.  I have a customised status room (called Monitoring) at both my houses and what I monitor at the 2 residences is quite different. 

What I would really (really!) like is the ability to have customisable sub menus from this room.  

I currently use the “Watch” sub menu on this status page to look at various bTimers which show how many days, hours and minutes things have run today, this month, this year or since a previous event (e.g. system uptime, time since last mains failure, Sauna usage today, this month and this year etc.). I would like to change the TV icon to a clock and the name from “Watch” to “Timers”.

Then I use “Listen” to display various items of information in terms of power usage (kWh used today, kWh from the grid today and kWh generated by solar) and voltages (e.g. grid voltage for each of the 3 electrical phases and inverter voltage for all 3 phases coming from the batteries). I would love to change the name from “Listen” to. “Power” and the icon to an electricity pylon.

I use Security for water related information and would love to change the name to “Water” and the icon to a water droplet.

Essentially I have a great status page (room) with some key items (e.g. water on / off, power on / off, battery percentage and garage door status) on the main screen and very useful sub menus (sub screens) which work brilliantly but are crazily named “Watch”, “Listen”, “Security” and “Comfort”.

On 6/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

A room works well for me.  I have a customised status room (called Monitoring) at both my houses and what I monitor at the 2 residences is quite different. 

What I would really (really!) like is the ability to have customisable sub menus from this room.  

I currently use the “Watch” sub menu on this status page to look at various bTimers which show how many days, hours and minutes things have run today, this month, this year or since a previous event (e.g. system uptime, time since last mains failure, Sauna usage today, this month and this year etc.). I would like to change the TV icon to a clock and the name from “Watch” to “Timers”.

Then I use “Listen” to display various items of information in terms of power usage (kWh used today, kWh from the grid today and kWh generated by solar) and voltages (e.g. grid voltage for each of the 3 electrical phases and inverter voltage for all 3 phases coming from the batteries). I would love to change the name from “Listen” to. “Power” and the icon to an electricity pylon.

I use Security for water related information and would love to change the name to “Water” and the icon to a water droplet.

Essentially I have a great status page (room) with some key items (e.g. water on / off, power on / off, battery percentage and garage door status) on the main screen and very useful sub menus (sub screens) which work brilliantly but are crazily named “Watch”, “Listen”, “Security” and “Comfort”.

Customizable room sub menus would be awesome in case C4 is watching!

22 minutes ago, antneed said:

Can one make one of these status screens themselves with Composer HE?

If yes, any general guidance on how to start this?

thanks

If a dealer creates a room for you then you can customize from there w he

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.