Jump to content
c4forums | The Control4 Community

Suddenly only 1 apple WiFi device can successfully get into the Control4 app


Recommended Posts

When we moved into our house we inherited a Control4 system. It was upgraded after we moved in to OS3. At some point we had a 4Sight license so we never noticed any device app issues. That license has expired and now only 1 iPhone can log into the app. Every other iPhone/iPad that tried gets the message to retry or get a 4Sight license. 
 

This is only being accessed on our home WiFi (FIOS) so there is no reason we should need that license.  
 

I haven’t found much to help troubleshoot online but I’ve seen a few comments say network issue and I saw one thread that pointed to a DNS issue and suggested changing the router dns to OpenDNS. 
 

One other thing we have noticed since using this system is that for no reason at all our streaming music stops for 30 seconds and they resumes.  Could this be related in any way?

Has anyone experienced the app connection issues and had success changing the router DNS?

 

thanks!!

 

DD

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Check the logs on the controller to see if anything weird is going on.  You will have to SSH into your controller to do this.  Google "SSH to Control4 controller" and you will find the root password and procedures for doing this.  If you're running one of the more recent 3.x versions of the operating system, SSH probably won't work. 

*** IMPORTANT INFO ***

If you aren't very familiar with root access via SSH and LINUX/UNIX commands ... DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. 

Call your dealer or ask one of the dealers on this forum to help you remotely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rayk32 said:

Check the logs on the controller to see if anything weird is going on.  You will have to SSH into your controller to do this.  Google "SSH to Control4 controller" and you will find the root password and procedures for doing this.  If you're running one of the more recent 3.x versions of the operating system, SSH probably won't work. 

*** IMPORTANT INFO ***

If you aren't very familiar with root access via SSH and LINUX/UNIX commands ... DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. 

Call your dealer or ask one of the dealers on this forum to help you remotely. 

this is not good advice.  First of all he said it was upgrade to OS 3 so you should assume that he is recent and SSH won't work.  And you assume he knows where to look.

I would start by renewing your 4sight at customer.control4.com which is instant

For the music streaming I would change your DNS servers on your router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to replace the ISP DNS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one suggested the basics.....

Did you go back into the app? Make sure you're running the latest app on your device (I think there are 2 listed, one for ver2 and the latest ver3 controller).

Then make sure you can connect to a local controller (under settings). If you can't see the controller, that is your basic problem.

It goes without saying, your device must be on the same Wifi network. This will not work over cellular without the subscription, but you DONT need a subscription to connect to a local controller.

again just the basics......

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, msgreenf said:

this is not good advice.  First of all he said it was upgrade to OS 3 so you should assume that he is recent and SSH won't work.  And you assume he knows where to look.

I would start by renewing your 4sight at customer.control4.com which is instant

For the music streaming I would change your DNS servers on your router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to replace the ISP DNS

Exactly why I said:

  • If you're running one of the more RECENT 3.x versions of the operating system, SSH probably won't work. 
  • If you aren't VERY FAMILIAR with root access via SSH and LINUX/UNIX commands ... DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS

The first comment clearly shows that I was aware he/she is running a 3.x version of the code and the second comment explains that the user should not try this if he/she doesn't know what he/she is doing.  If somebody is VERY FAMILIAR with root access and LINUX/UNIX they know where the logs are located and how to read them.  There are all kinds of things that can be done to troubleshoot an issue, looking at the logs is a valid troubleshooting step. 

Finally, why don't you stop looking for opportunities to be petty and/or make your little snarky comments every time people on this forum are trying to help each other.  We had a term for this in practice and the locker room for this same behavior that doesn't need explanation or to be shared on a public forum, but your history of responses definitely qualify.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if you are familiar with Linux you wouldn't have posted that question to begin with...but noted you opinion. 

If their 4sight may have expired it was probably a 90 day trial which means it's not going to have ssh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

I think if you are familiar with Linux you wouldn't have posted that question to begin with...but noted you opinion. 

If their 4sight may have expired it was probably a 90 day trial which means it's not going to have ssh. 

Ok ... so apparently you are either "special" or have a mental illness that needs to be addressed, but it is clear that you cannot control your impulses to make these types of comments.  Perhaps, some life experience that has had a negative impact, but whatever it is, maybe a little self-examination as to why you feel the overwhelming need to be this person will allow you to seek the mental help you clearly need ... or maybe, despite all the good help that you give, you also have a desire to be the C4forums troll. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well then.

 

MY first thought - check that the app is set to allow connection over local network. Lovely somewhat recent feature on Apple that people habitually say no to.

In part because they think it's about notifications, in part because it's so terribly worded.

 

What that option MEANS is if you want to allow an app to connect using your WIFI connection - saying no means the iPhone will force it to go over data - apart from using up your data that way, it means the app is now forced to go over the internet to connect to a system....which means 4Sight would be required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the helpful responses…

the app successfully opens when it connects to the controller so I believe that’s the issue I’m trying to solve.

all devices are running Control4 for OS3 and the latest version of the app (its currently only working on my iPhone 12 and an older android device that is only WiFi at this point)  it’s not working on an iPhone XS, brand new iPad mini and older iPad mini running iOS 12.5)

I just checked the local network setting (something I never thought of) after just now reinstalling the app on my husbands iPhone and with it set correctly it still prompts for the 4Sight license.  

if Control4 allows for multiple devices to connect over home WiFi then I should not need the expense of the 4Sight license.  It should allow for multiple devices to connect over WiFi, right?
 

Thanks for the input, feedback and suggestions. 
 

DD
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, DHD said:

Thanks for the helpful responses…

the app successfully opens when it connects to the controller so I believe that’s the issue I’m trying to solve.

all devices are running Control4 for OS3 and the latest version of the app (its currently only working on my iPhone 12 and an older android device that is only WiFi at this point)  it’s not working on an iPhone XS, brand new iPad mini and older iPad mini running iOS 12.5)

I just checked the local network setting (something I never thought of) after just now reinstalling the app on my husbands iPhone and with it set correctly it still prompts for the 4Sight license.  

if Control4 allows for multiple devices to connect over home WiFi then I should not need the expense of the 4Sight license.  It should allow for multiple devices to connect over WiFi, right?
 

Thanks for the input, feedback and suggestions. 
 

DD

Is your controller an HC800? Apparently your controller is the one without site license, turn down your controller and see there is a white sticker with C4-HC800-BL-1, if your controller doesn’t have the -1 then u are out of luck and you need to replace it with one with a site license, if your project is small u can skip that and go directly purchasing an EA3 of eBay at a very decent price or check with your dealer who upgraded u to OS3 and gave u this 90 days trial of 4Sight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DHD said:

Thanks Amr!

so the physical device won’t allow for multiple Apple iOS connections without the 4Sight license?

Not 4Sight, the HC800 box itself (assuming your controller is an HC-800).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DHD said:

Thanks Amr!

so the physical device won’t allow for multiple Apple iOS connections without the 4Sight license?

If you don’t have the -1 version you can not connect locally with more than 1 device, it’s an old licensing model that C4 had, it’s not there any more, so u either upgrade to EA controller or on eBay source an HC-800 with a site license.
 

Also you can still subscribe to 4Sight and have all connect remotely which is not a great speed if you are home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks!  My controller is rack mounted so I can’t turn the face down but I see a white sticker under the unit that says C4- HC800- BL-1. 
I almost wish it didn’t have -1 because this is so frustrating to only have 1 device that can run the app and control everything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DHD said:

We have several control 4 components in our rack. Can someone please explain the proper reboot order/procedure?

 

thanks!

Why do you need to reboot?

Pls ask your dealer who setup the system why you only have one user connected although your controller have the site licenses already? Also do you have access to customer.Control4.com? This will give you visibility on which devices are allowed to connect to your system.

There is something odd here and he better provide answers.

BTW -1 Means unlimited site license.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DHD do you have more than 1 wifi network in your house?

I often see 2 in a house, 1 from an incorrectly configured ISP modem/router and then another for the house system

If you were to connect to the ISP wifi then it would cause the exact issue you’re describing 

I just did a service call where the homeowner upgraded their service and instructed the isp tech to give the isp router the exact same wifi name and password as the rest of the house network… it all went downhill from there 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you BXTR!
We have FIOS for our primary coverage and Luxul access point for extended areas of the house.  The Luxul is PoE into a switch in our basement and we have a 5GHz SSID and a 2.4GHz SSID so in the house we have 3 SSIDs (including FIOS).
 
I thought I had heard that it could be the DNS that the ISP uses?  Is that correct or way off base?
 
What was the fix for your homeowner with the issue?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks lippavisual. 
 

Is that the only option?  What is it about the isp WiFi that Control4 doesn’t like?

 

If I disable that WiFi I will not be able to have working cable boxes as the one in the bedrooms connect WiFi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your ISP modem is on a different IP network/scheme than your C4 system.  The Luxuls (welp) should be the only WiFi devices being used for your C4 system.

If your cable boxes rely on the ISP WiFi, than you have no choice but to keep it on or integrate those boxes properly and wire them.

Best move for you right now is to go into your phone settings and completely forget the ISP WiFi, that way it does not automatically connect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have your own router? Or are you using the Verizon box?

Probably should have started there in the first place.

If using Verizon WiFi and then adding Luxul configured with the same WiFi settings in order to extend it, that’s a recipe for disaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DHD said:

Thanks lippavisual. 
 

Is that the only option?  What is it about the isp WiFi that Control4 doesn’t like?

 

If I disable that WiFi I will not be able to have working cable boxes as the one in the bedrooms connect WiFi. 

Everything on the same SSID as control4? If not, wouldn't that be the same as remote access?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...