C4 Forums | Control4

weatherflow tempest weather station and Blackwire driver?

I have a Tempest, but haven't justified the expense of the driver, looked at it, pulls in many of the Tempest's variables, but know there's no weather display in Navigator.

The Tempest has been rock solid for over three months. Haven't needed to touch it, which is nice since it's on the roof on a pole.
The rain notification from Tempest built into the app works fairly well, a couple minutes delayed in a light sprinkle. Timely when actually raining or storming.
Also the rain accumulation isn't scientifically accurate, but works fine for my gardening needs.

Absolutely recommend the Tempest for the weather enthusiast.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, RAV said:

I have a Tempest, but haven't justified the expense of the driver, looked at it, pulls in many of the Tempest's variables, but know there's no weather display in Navigator.

The Tempest has been rock solid for over three months. Haven't needed to touch it, which is nice since it's on the roof on a pole.
The rain notification from Tempest built into the app works fairly well, a couple minutes delayed in a light sprinkle. Timely when actually raining or storming.
Also the rain accumulation isn't scientifically accurate, but works fine for my gardening needs.

Absolutely recommend the Tempest for the weather enthusiast.

Looks like there might be some GUI display now.

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/weatherflow-tempest-for-control4/

Looks like some Rachio irrigation integration coming as well.

https://rachio.com/weatherflow-tempest/

You can also use the generic webview driver and call the tempest URL web page and see current, history and forecast data, even if it the Tempest is on a different LAN (IE, beach house).

The Blackwire driver is prettier, and pulls in all the data as variables to program against. Support driver builders.

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’ve just ordered a Tempest Weather station to play with - thanks to this thread.

Me too. Ordered it yesterday. Already received notification it shipped. Also asked my dealer to get me this driver. 

I have a Tempest and use IFTTT to pull in the wind speed (since there wasn't a driver available when I installed it). I wanted to use it to automatically raise and lower some outdoor shades when the wind speed got too high, then lower the shades when the wind speed dropped for an adequate time period.

While I like the Tempest, it does seem to flake out sometimes. I'll be getting "high wind speed" warnings, and I'll literally be standing outside with almost no wind blowing. I've been standing next to the Tempest when it was reading 40+ MPH wind speeds and felt just a light breeze.

3 hours ago, DTxAg said:

I have a Tempest and use IFTTT to pull in the wind speed (since there wasn't a driver available when I installed it). I wanted to use it to automatically raise and lower some outdoor shades when the wind speed got too high, then lower the shades when the wind speed dropped for an adequate time period.

While I like the Tempest, it does seem to flake out sometimes. I'll be getting "high wind speed" warnings, and I'll literally be standing outside with almost no wind blowing. I've been standing next to the Tempest when it was reading 40+ MPH wind speeds and felt just a light breeze.

Have you called tempest regarding the wind miss read?
Haven't seen any such issues with mine.
The rain sensor since it's haptic isn't scientific and might lag a light shower start by a minute, but been really happy with the system over all.

Had it a year, and haven't had to touch it in any way.

3 hours ago, RAV said:

Have you called tempest regarding the wind miss read?
Haven't seen any such issues with mine.
The rain sensor since it's haptic isn't scientific and might lag a light shower start by a minute, but been really happy with the system over all.

Had it a year, and haven't had to touch it in any way.

Yeah, they gave some nonsense about how if it's not installed correctly it might get odd readings. It's literally on a pole next to an open field. While it might be only 6' or so off the ground, there's no way it should be reading 40MPH winds when I'm actually standing near it and feeling almost nothing.

From what I recall, there were complaints on Amazon about the wind speed being inaccurate.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:22 AM, DTxAg said:

Yeah, they gave some nonsense about how if it's not installed correctly it might get odd readings. It's literally on a pole next to an open field. While it might be only 6' or so off the ground, there's no way it should be reading 40MPH winds when I'm actually standing near it and feeling almost nothing.

From what I recall, there were complaints on Amazon about the wind speed being inaccurate.

That's interesting. I have experienced to oposite where it shows near now wind in close to galeforce conditions.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:10 AM, DTxAg said:

Was interested in the outdoor shade use case.  Have some Screen Innovations outdoor shades that have been quite problematic to use with them coming out of zipper track during high winds. Their companion wind sensor gives no information on wind speeds so was looking to get the unit you purchased and integrate to raise and lower with something more accurate and reliable once I look at changing to shades with a cable guide that may be more sturdy.  Have you had any issues with the shade lowering/raising with high winds when it gets a notification from Tempest?  Will have to do some research on the IFTTT to see if they integrate with Tempest and Somfy driven shades.  

• 3 months later...

So I’ve been enjoying this driver for the last couple of months BUT, we have had no rain until this week and I seem to have uncovered a bug…

The driver is great in all other aspects.

The variable for rain today (called something like Accumulated Precipitation) gives something entirely different.  Maybe rain in the last 5 minutes, 15 minutes or something else).  I guess it would be useful if I knew what it is…

The variable for rain yesterday (called something like Accumulated Precipitation Yesterday) works perfectly.

The webview shows todays rainfall perfectly.  The only problem is that this number is not coming through in the relevant (or any) variable and I really need it.

Has anyone else seen this issue or know what is in the variable Accumulated Precipitation?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 6:55 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

So I’ve been enjoying this driver for the last couple of months BUT, we have had no rain until this week and I seem to have uncovered a bug…

The driver is great in all other aspects.

The variable for rain today (called something like Accumulated Precipitation) gives something entirely different.  Maybe rain in the last 5 minutes, 15 minutes or something else).  I guess it would be useful if I knew what it is…

The variable for rain yesterday (called something like Accumulated Precipitation Yesterday) works perfectly.

The webview shows todays rainfall perfectly.  The only problem is that this number is not coming through in the relevant (or any) variable and I really need it.

Has anyone else seen this issue or know what is in the variable Accumulated Precipitation?

For anyone reading this.  The Accumulated Precipitation variable is rain in the last minute and it updates every minute.  One can get Precipitation for the day by creating a new variable which you zeroise at midnight and add to this the value of Accumulated Precipitation every time this variable changes.

From version 1.00.15 of the driver (currently in Beta), I understand that a number of additional variables have been added (following these being made available in the Tempest API recently) and one of these is the Rain for the current day (thus this workaround will no longer be needed).  Well done to the driver developer - great to see the responsiveness to a client request.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.