C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 skill appear as a SimpleC4 in Amazon Alexa App

6 hours ago, Hasnat said:

i have added this skill in my previous project but now i couldn't find this ..

It has been removed by Amazon in many countries.  You can, however, log in to Amazon with a different region (eg USA) and still access it very easily.  All that is needed is a US address.

16 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

It has been removed by Amazon in many countries.  You can, however, log in to Amazon with a different region (eg USA) and still access it very easily.  All that is needed is a US address.

I've had Alexa working for about 5 or 6 years here in New Zealand.
Just today it has stopped working...
I decided to disable the skill and re-connect it - only to find I can no longer find get the skill due to geographical location...

I've changed my Amazon address to my USA PO Box, but still cannot get the skill.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Is there another setting on the Amazon account for location which I can't find?

25 minutes ago, brucecampbell said:

I decided to disable the skill and re-connect it - only to find I can no longer find get the skill due to geographical location...

I've changed my Amazon address to my USA PO Box, but still cannot get the skill.

i just created a new account with US number and verify it instantly.  yeah i got the skill easily and linked successfully.

1 hour ago, brucecampbell said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201248840

The above explains how to change the location in Amazon.

I have had to do this twice in the last 6 months (for the same reason as you).  The first time, the change worked instantly.  The second time it took a good few hours (24 or less) before it worked.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:50 AM, Hasnat said:

I got SimpleC4 in amazon alexa app and linked up as well. but couldn't get any link on customer account. even i couldn't find Control4 in this app. how to link that?

SimpleC4 is our Alexa skill.  It can also control your C4 system, but is definitely not the official C4 skill.   

It does have the advantage that you don't have to pay for C4 Cloud service.  If you want to use it please see https://splash-tiles.com/help/alexa_c4.php

I live in the USA and had an issue for hours yesterday w both Google and Alexa not working. Said C4 couldn't be found. C4 said all servers were working. Disabled the Alexa skll went to re add and got an error that couldn't connect w C4. Waited a few hours retried and it re added the skill and now both work flawlessly. I'm thinking there was a C4 outage that wasn't fully reported or something. 

10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201248840

The above explains how to change the location in Amazon.

I have had to do this twice in the last 6 months (for the same reason as you).  The first time, the change worked instantly.  The second time it took a good few hours (24 or less) before it worked.

Great, thanks for this - It looks like it is now going to work - fingers crossed....
I had changed my default address, and the locations and addresses on the echo devices, but the region in my Amazon preferences was still set to NZ - changed to USA and I can now enable the Alexa skill.

9 hours ago, videostorm said:

SimpleC4 is our Alexa skill.  It can also control your C4 system, but is definitely not the official C4 skill.   

It does have the advantage that you don't have to pay for C4 Cloud service.  If you want to use it please see https://splash-tiles.com/help/alexa_c4.php

Great to know.

Any advantages in your skill that are worth mentioning?
Or is the key advantage that it can be accessed outside of the USA?

13 minutes ago, brucecampbell said:

Great to know.

Any advantages in your skill that are worth mentioning?
Or is the key advantage that it can be accessed outside of the USA?

It is just a different voice interaction model.  Designed to be more intuitive, at least to me anyway :)    And you don't need the 4sight license if you don't use it otherwise.

• "Alexa, set Watch to Cable" (just like the Watch button, substitute Cable for your C4 video source names)
  • "Alexa, set Listen to Pandora" (just like the Listen button, substitute Pandora for your C4 audio source names)

full examples in the docs at https://splash-tiles.com/help/alexa_c4.php

3 hours ago, videostorm said:

It is just a different voice interaction model.  Designed to be more intuitive, at least to me anyway :)    And you don't need the 4sight license if you don't use it otherwise.

• "Alexa, set Watch to Cable" (just like the Watch button, substitute Cable for your C4 video source names)
  • "Alexa, set Listen to Pandora" (just like the Listen button, substitute Pandora for your C4 audio source names)

full examples in the docs at https://splash-tiles.com/help/alexa_c4.php

Great to know there are options out there.

I wish I had time to play around to see which suits me best.... one day hopefully.

I use Alexa daily to turn the TV on and turn lights on and off.
I would say the integration only works 70% of the time.
In the times it fails, half the time we get a positive response from Alexa, stating the command was completed, however nothing happens.
The remaining failures are Alexa not understanding us - which gets really frustrating, especially when she decides to play lounge music on spotify when you ask her to pause the lounge tv..
The other annoying one is when Alexa says 'sorry I could not turn the light off' then the light turns off - this to me seems like the API has not responded in a timely manor - so assuming this is C4's fault here....?

IMO, the biggest limiting factor in Alexa's performance is Amazon not using contextual memory fully.  Understanding voice without it is actually a very hard problem.  Individuals always tend to ask for the same things, so recently used commands should always be the starting point assumption when she gets a noisy one or something with low confidence.

That and why the heck can't she remember that I really never want her to play country music......

The overall performance in the smart home api depends on how many similar sounding commands are "active" (defined for your specific system).  Generally it works best if you limit the number of devices to control and the controls they will use.  Device / room names should sound different.

The "sorry I couldn't do X" is the API timeout (from C4 side).  Their server being slow or just not responding properly.

• 10 months later...

@videostorm. Does your C4 skill treat fans in C4 as fans in Alexa? I would love to have context in each room to say "turn off the fan." But as far as I can tell, that only works if the fan actually shows up as a fan device within Alexa. If it shows up as a light or switch it may not work fully. I think it might technically work as a "light," but then it will turn off when you say turn off the lights, which is not ideal for my situation. 

2 hours ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

@videostorm. Does your C4 skill treat fans in C4 as fans in Alexa? I would love to have context in each room to say "turn off the fan." But as far as I can tell, that only works if the fan actually shows up as a fan device within Alexa. If it shows up as a light or switch it may not work fully. I think it might technically work as a "light," but then it will turn off when you say turn off the lights, which is not ideal for my situation. 

No fan devices.  Just these devices:

All you need to remember is:
Use the "set Watch" and "set Listen" voice commands to control your AV gear just like you would with a remote.
Your AV gear is referred to by device "TV". You can control volume, mute, and turn it on/off.
Your Lighting is referred to by device "Lights". Turn them on/off or set the percentage.
Use "set Event" to run any scenes or macros from your C4 system.
You can also use transport controls (Play, pause, next) with the device name

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.