C4 Forums | Control4

Launch an AppleTV app from Control4?

This may have already been asked, but then I saw something about "mini drivers" which I am still wanting a better explanation of please.

QUESTION: Is there any way to create a Control4 Navigator item for an app within AppleTV, for example the app YouTube TV that would launch from the Watch menu on a C4 Navigator or from a C4 Remote?

Goal would be to launch an AppleTV app straight from Control4 instead of having to launch AppleTV, and then select the app you want.

Mini-driver is generally what we call a driver for a 'service' that isn't a physical device, which allows us to both select the physical device the service is on, as well as launch the service.

Example, the end-user sees 'Netflix' and selects it. The system then selects an unused Roku available in the location, and launches the app(or channel if you will) on the Roku.

There are universal drivers for this which work on numerous devices (Roku, most Smart TV main brands) or in some specific cases there are 'build for a device' drivers (such as for the IRUSB to control Android TV).

And the answer is no, you cannot do this on AppleTV (the physical device) as their API doesn't allow that type of integration. Just for the record AppleTV (the streaming service) DOES have a mini driver, but that is to launch the app on OTHER hardware (like Roku)

Cyknight - excellent explanation, and now I totally understand.  Would seem this would be a valid reason to add a Roku as opposed to AppleTV to the mix.  That said, while I like the idea of going straight to YTTV, most of the time just getting to ATV is good enough since the kids select Disney, Netflix, or YTTV.

It is too bad that the announcement a couple of years back regarding Apple and Control4 working more closely together never bore any fruit, this would be a perfect application, along with actually being able to control HomeKit devices, still waiting on that for my gate...

The newer Sony TV's (android models), excluding the ones from Costco, work well with the mini drivers too.  I believe there are close to 265 mini drivers for the Control4 eco system.  But as Cy said, no luck for the AppleTV device.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:54 AM, anon2828 said:

It is too bad that the announcement a couple of years back regarding Apple and Control4 working more closely together never bore any fruit, this would be a perfect application, along with actually being able to control HomeKit devices, still waiting on that for my gate...

AppleTV can be considered LAST in the streaming devices category.
https://www.imore.com/apple-tv-still-trails-behind-competitors-wide-margin

Won't be surprised at all when Apple throws in the towel, surprised they introduced a new model this year other than they need it for HomeKit.
They're not going to gain market share, and are mostly reselling to their same client base. Won't be long.

32 minutes ago, RAV said:

AppleTV can be considered LAST in the streaming devices category.
https://www.imore.com/apple-tv-still-trails-behind-competitors-wide-margin

Won't be surprised at all when Apple throws in the towel, surprised they introduced a new model this year other than they need it for HomeKit.
They're not going to gain market share, and are mostly reselling to their same client base. Won't be long.

While I do agree that it's tough w/o cheap players that Roku/Amazon/whoever offer, this article is more than 2 years old...

That said, Apple is still second to last according to Strategy Analytics' 2021 Q1 report. If Apple allowed passthrough audio and mini apps, I honestly feel they'd be higher in our intrigue/value, but at the end of the day, very few people care about codes/quality when buying these devices and exclusively look at the price. 

Edited by tmj4
Typos

1 hour ago, tmj4 said:

While I do agree that it's tough w/o cheap players that Roku/Amazon/whoever offer, this article is more than 2 years old...

That said, Apple is still second to last according to Strategy Analytics' 2021 Q1 report. If Apple allowed passthrough audio and mini apps, I honestly feel they'd be higher in our intrigue/value, but at the end of the day, very few people care about codes/quality when buying these devices and exclusively look at the price. 

Stand-alone there's nothing WRONG with the AppleTV as such, especially with the app store introduced a few versions ago and ability to add apps as desired.

There's just nothing EXCEPTIONAL about it and it's coming at a huge premium price but is targeted towards 'the average user'. Take the Shield - it's a lot more dollars, but it's actually marketed to a different audience that is understanding of and willing to pay the cost of it's premium specs.

Apple took a long time to admit they shouldn't be in networking too though, so it may be quite some time before we see the AppleTV disappear, regardless of market share.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Apple took a long time to admit they shouldn't be in networking too though, so it may be quite some time before we see the AppleTV disappear, regardless of market share.

Very well said!

When they named their new app "Apple TV" I thought, "Why would they do that? How confusing." Then it hit me. Oh, dang. Eventually there will only be one Apple TV and it'll just be an app.

Edited by Elvis

4 minutes ago, Elvis said:

When they named their new service "Apple TV" I thought, "Why would they do that? How confusing." Then it hit me. Oh, dang. Eventually there will only be one Apple TV and it'll just be an app.

Well it is technically "Apple TV+", but I was just thinking the same thing a bit ago.

Apple Master Plan:

1. Use the iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs as a Trojan Horse to get ATV+ into the homes/palms of people with free trials for roughly 2 release cycles
  2. Extend free trials roughly 18+ months in the middle of a pandemic
  3. Release on Android and Roku platforms allowing people with the most popular HW to get hooked, not necessarily for free. 
  4. Update your Apple TV device one more time, but with hardly any significant R&D costs and no need for retooling on your device sans silly remote, getting even more free trials going.
  5. Stop manufacturing Apple TV and shift from one-time revenue to recurring revenue checks all the boxes and just keeps padding the bottom line. 

1 minute ago, tmj4 said:

Well it is technically "Apple TV+", but I was just thinking the same thing a bit ago.

Apple Master Plan:

1. Use the iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs as a Trojan Horse to get ATV+ into the homes/palms of people with free trials for roughly 2 release cycles
  3. Release on Android and Roku platforms allowing people with the most popular HW to get hooked, not necessarily for free. 
  4. Update your Apple TV device one more time, but with hardly any significant R&D costs and no need for retooling on your device sans silly remote, getting even more free trials going.
  5. Stop manufacturing Apple TV and shift from one-time revenue to recurring revenue checks all the boxes and just keeps padding the bottom line. 

Who's hooked on AppleTV+ though? 😆

4 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

Apple Master Plan:

Technically, it's not. It is the Apple TV app. Later came the + which is a subscription. The Apple TV app is the core.

Just now, Cyknight said:

Who's hooked on AppleTV+ though? 😆

Ted Lasso set the Emmy nomination record and was the 4th most watched streaming show in the world last week. WITH ONE EPISODE. People are getting hooked on their shows. 

1 minute ago, Elvis said:

Technically, it's not. It is the Apple TV app. Later came the + which is a subscription. The Apple TV app is the core.

18 minutes ago, Elvis said:

When they named their new service "Apple TV" I thought...

Well you did say "service"...

2 hours ago, tmj4 said:

Ted Lasso set the Emmy nomination record and was the 4th most watched streaming show in the world last week. WITH ONE EPISODE. People are getting hooked on their shows. 

Emmy noms mean nothing to the public,  and one show isn't a hook.

I can tell you this - I happen to have had that very question (do you have an ATV+ subscription) go around 3 different social circle of mine just last week, and the net result was ... ZERO out of a 100 or so people. I've been asking clients because of that this past week ... I'm at 1 out of 14 (households, and every last one of them Apple users) Wife's work ZERO out of 15.

I'm well aware that I'm personally no indicator of what's popular for streaming services or shows -heck no idea what Ted Lasso even is, and no I never watched Game of Thrones- but I know plenty of 'trend followers' (slaves?) and there's zero response on use.

Last I checked the service has less than 5% of the market share in NA, lower than later additions, including Peacock of all things - and a lot of that is BECAUSE it was free if I had to guess.

I've even heard the excuse for the low market share that it was due to the pandemic (when it should have boomed if anything).

EDIT: I should add, I'm not saying ATV+ is bad, or will disappear, just commenting that if it's 'hooked' they were after so they can retire the hardware line .... they better hold onto the box for a bit yet.

4 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Ted Lasso is the new best show on TV since Shitts Creek ended. 

With that comment, I'll have to give it a shot. Never made it past Season 1, Ep. 1.

15 minutes ago, Adidaswood said:

+1 for Ted Lasso.  If you don't know where the cookies come from or haven't made it to the darts scene you haven't watched enough.

I hope season 2 lives up to the lofty standards of season 1.

BBQ sauce

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.