C4 Forums | Control4

New Remotes

16 hours ago, Cyknight said:

? While not quite as robust as the SR-250 (which I'm pretty sure can withstand my dog for at least 15 minutes of chewing and still work) my kids have NEVER managed to break any of my SR-260's....

My kids finally managed to destroy one of our 260's.  It has an annoying "buzz" every time the backlights come on and something is clearly loose inside.  It does still actually work though.

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

My kids finally managed to destroy one of our 260's.  It has an annoying "buzz" every time the backlights come on and something is clearly loose inside.  It does still actually work though.

If I recall correctly, someone posted a repair of a remote that was doing something along these lines, where they opened it up and found that a surface mount capacitor had come off the board.

It's been quite a while, don't know if you'll be able to find it, and if you decide to take the remote apart, it's apparently pretty difficult to do without breaking the plastic tabs that hold the remote together, so you may want a backup remote (or a backup plan!).

:)

RyanE

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

If I recall correctly, someone posted a repair of a remote that was doing something along these lines, where they opened it up and found that a surface mount capacitor had come off the board.

It's been quite a while, don't know if you'll be able to find it, and if you decide to take the remote apart, it's apparently pretty difficult to do without breaking the plastic tabs that hold the remote together, so you may want a backup remote (or a backup plan!).

:)

RyanE

This one ?

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

it's apparently pretty difficult to do without breaking the plastic tabs that hold the remote together,

Almost impossible the first time you attempt it I would say.  Some well-hidden fasteners as well.

It’s not that hard to open the remotes including the 250”s as well, you just need to have the proper tools, I had opened 5 260 remotes, cleaned them from battery leaks, and changed the LCD on 3 of them as well.  If you have any iFixit kit for phones repair then you have it all …

1 hour ago, Amr said:

It’s not that hard to open the remotes including the 250”s as well, you just need to have the proper tools, I had opened 5 260 remotes, cleaned them from battery leaks, and changed the LCD on 3 of them as well.  If you have any iFixit kit for phones repair then you have it all …

@Amr That sounds pretty cool.  I have several 260's that could use a new LCD.  Any chance you could post a "how to" with pictures or video?

11 hours ago, cdcllc said:

@Amr That sounds pretty cool.  I have several 260's that could use a new LCD.  Any chance you could post a "how to" with pictures or video?

Never thought of that, but I can at least send some pictures of the tools I used and maybe also to post some steps.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:52 AM, cdcllc said:

That would be great. Thanks 

These are the tools I used, in the Lower picture the 3 on the left side are used to crank open one side of the remote till the end.

In the Top picture I used the tweezer on the right to insert the screen cable into the socket on the PCB

A07F3802-9DEB-4EF6-BDB3-D2D04D986F5C.jpeg

DA44B568-F099-4D2A-B990-B8D6A61F73DA.jpeg

Steps are:

- Remove the battery cover of the remote and the battery

- There are 2 small screws at the end, remove them with a Philips screwdriver

- With the long tools try to insert it from below on one side of the remote until it has a gap, use the flat thin tool to push the top side and slide slowly till you reach the housing, push it and continue till the very top

- Focusing on one side is much better than flip flopping between the 2 sides, you loose focus and you can crack one side

- Once you reach the top, the remote will be fully opened, be careful in the process not to crack it, be very careful never touch the remote screen from inside.

- Remove the keypad, remove the on/off button as it will fall and you can loose it, put these aside

- The board will be free, take it out from the back and flip it

- Remove the golden ribbon cable from the white socket, push the 2 black pins on top of the ribbon so you can take the screen from the board from the other side

- Now we need to remove the entire screen from the black socket as we will reuse it to fix the new screen back to the board

C2B469A1-CB6A-459B-8AE9-5B1E32A6920F.jpeg

72646776-7F1E-4DFF-B44E-173EA1755BB8.jpeg

- Use any flat thin tool to push the screen from the plastic base, there are 2 adhesive strips in top and bottom, push lightly not to crack the screen and injured yourself

- Remove the screen, note the ribbon direction, fix the new screen to the base, fix the base to the PCB, use the tweezer to align the golden ribbon to the base, slowly push the ribbon into the socket

- Put everything back, before putting the top remote cover, remove the protective screen from the new screen

- Put the remote back, push nicely and press on the edges on the remote to click it back in place

- You now have a new remote screen, enjoy it 😎

589ED73F-9640-499F-8B53-ABB26C1307B4.png

On 8/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, Amr said:

Steps are:

- Remove the battery cover of the remote and the battery

- There are 2 small screws at the end, remove them with a Philips screwdriver

- With the long tools try to insert it from below on one side of the remote until it has a gap, use the flat thin tool to push the top side and slide slowly till you reach the housing, push it and continue till the very top

- Focusing on one side is much better than flip flopping between the 2 sides, you loose focus and you can crack one side

- Once you reach the top, the remote will be fully opened, be careful in the process not to crack it, be very careful never touch the remote screen from inside.

- Remove the keypad, remove the on/off button as it will fall and you can loose it, put these aside

- The board will be free, take it out from the back and flip it

- Remove the golden ribbon cable from the white socket, push the 2 black pins on top of the ribbon so you can take the screen from the board from the other side

- Now we need to remove the entire screen from the black socket as we will reuse it to fix the new screen back to the board

You mentioned to "insert it from below on one side of the remote".... I'm unclear as to what location this would be to get the gap started.

Also, at the end did you need to use any adhesive to keep the remote from falling apart or does everything click back together?

11 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

You mentioned to "insert it from below on one side of the remote".... I'm unclear as to what location this would be to get the gap started.

Also, at the end did you need to use any adhesive to keep the remote from falling apart or does everything click back together?

Start at the bottom of the remote all the way up, no adhesive is used, everything clicks back together 

1 minute ago, drmark12pa said:

When you first are use the pry tools, did you try to crank it apart from the outside of the case or through the battery compartment?

Right after I taking of the screws there is a gap when I pulled the side of the remote, insert ur flat tool there and all the way up, when u come to a hinge push the side to unlock it repeatedly till the top

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.