C4 Forums | Control4

New Remotes

• 2 weeks later...

@AmrI received the 2 screens I ordered yesterday and replaced my first this morning.  It worked like a champ!  Great instructions.  Took me about 30 minutes to replace my first and expect the second will be a little quicker.  The toughest part was the actual screen replacement itself.  I didn't realize that the plastic frame around the screen wasn't supposed to come off the board, so I spent time doing that - then realized it would be easier to pry the screen off the frame if it was still fixed to the board.  The screen did pry off in pieces due to the level of adhesive on the frame - not sure if I can get it off in one piece on the next one.

The other difficult part was seating the ribbon into the pin slot.  I wasn't real sure where the slot was located because my 59 year old eyes couldn't see it and my brain couldn't remember!  But your photo cleared it right up and I was able to seat the ribbon just fine once I knew the location of the slot.  I have to admit when I was in the middle of prying the screen off the frame I was thinking "maybe the juice isn't worth the squeeze on this one", but once I got everything put back together and saw the results I was all "Hell Yeah".  My wife was very impressed too!

All-in cost including shipping was $41.52 for my order of 2 screens - so very economical.  The only thing is not sure if the new LCD is color or monochrome.  The text came up all white but the color was set to green prior.  Not sure if it just doesn't need to be reset.  The only thing that would be a great improvement would be for the screen to come with the frame - would make the replacement much easier.  But I will still do another screen because the improvement is so good.

Thanks again for. your help.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, cdcllc said:

@AmrI received the 2 screens I ordered yesterday and replaced my first this morning.  It worked like a champ!  Great instructions.  Took me about 30 minutes to replace my first and expect the second will be a little quicker.  The toughest part was the actual screen replacement itself.  I didn't realize that the plastic frame around the screen wasn't supposed to come off the board, so I spent time doing that - then realized it would be easier to pry the screen off the frame if it was still fixed to the board.  The screen did pry off in pieces due to the level of adhesive on the frame - not sure if I can get it off in one piece on the next one.

The other difficult part was seating the ribbon into the pin slot.  I wasn't real sure where the slot was located because my 59 year old eyes couldn't see it and my brain couldn't remember!  But your photo cleared it right up and I was able to seat the ribbon just fine once I knew the location of the slot.  I have to admit when I was in the middle of prying the screen off the frame I was thinking "maybe the juice isn't worth the squeeze on this one", but once I got everything put back together and saw the results I was all "Hell Yeah".  My wife was very impressed too!

All-in cost including shipping was $41.52 for my order of 2 screens - so very economical.  The only thing is not sure if the new LCD is color or monochrome.  The text came up all white but the color was set to green prior.  Not sure if it just doesn't need to be reset.  The only thing that would be a great improvement would be for the screen to come with the frame - would make the replacement much easier.  But I will still do another screen because the improvement is so good.

Thanks again for. your help.

Glad u did it, it will get easier each time 😃 depending on how many 260’s u have 😂😂

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

It is great that these can be repaired, but it should still be on C4 to make these repairs as they supplied a defective product. Cars can still get recalled outside of a warranty period, but I guess a dim screen is not going to cause an accident. 

Yeah difference is there are regulators for cars, not really for remotes other than radio signals. 

On 9/4/2021 at 9:39 AM, zaphod said:

It is great that these can be repaired, but it should still be on C4 to make these repairs as they supplied a defective product. Cars can still get recalled outside of a warranty period, but I guess a dim screen is not going to cause an accident. 

It's arguable that a dim screen two years past warranty isn't a defective product - just not a very good one. C4 offers a replacement program for the SR260's  at less than half, maybe even less than a third of the cost where you can get a brand new remote, with a different screen that supposedly doesn't have the issue, for any remote showing the dim screen.

My Truck's dashboard display is a lot dimmer these days - doubt Ford is going to send me a brand new truck for a third of the MSRP for it. 😆

33 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

It's arguable that a dim screen two years past warranty isn't a defective product - just not a very good one. C4 offers a replacement program for the SR260's  at less than half, maybe even less than a third of the cost where you can get a brand new remote, with a different screen that supposedly doesn't have the issue, for any remote showing the dim screen.

My Truck's dashboard display is a lot dimmer these days - doubt Ford is going to send me a brand new truck for a third of the MSRP for it. 😆

Right, nothing wrong with these remotes.  They are great products.  Asking to actually see what's being displayed after more than a couple years is a real stretch

1 hour ago, wnpublic said:

Right, nothing wrong with these remotes.  They are great products.  Asking to actually see what's being displayed after more than a couple years is a real stretch

Oooooh really looking to bite down right? I didn't say there wasn't anything wrong - but there's a difference between a defect and a quality issue.

I honestly don't understand why you keep being hell-bent on just being negative on everything.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

honestly don't understand why you keep being hell-bent on just being negative on everything.

I have wondered the same thing. Is there a grudge? Vendetta? It feels like more time is spent being negative then healthy. I don't like Ford's anymore due to issues but I don't go to Ford forums and post...

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I have wondered the same thing. Is there a grudge? Vendetta? It feels like more time is spent being negative then healthy. I don't like Ford's anymore due to issues but I don't go to Ford forums and post...

While i have never once wondered why a person whose livelihood is dependent on selling more of the stuff would view speaking the truth about it as "negativity" or "must be a grudge." I've felt sympathy for the person, but never wondered.

12 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

While i have never once wondered why a person whose livelihood is dependent on selling more of the stuff would view speaking the truth about it as "negativity" or "must be a grudge." I've felt sympathy for the person, but never wondered.

Its just odd to come to a hobby or interest forum and be negative on said hobby.  Like i dont go to a fishing board and tell people due to environmental reasons they should only catch/release or that is just silly to fish and they should find a new hobby.   Maybe i should go to a wine forum and tell people wine is a waste and they should drink more Gin.

for what its worth plenty of “fanboys” like me actually do post both sides to the story.  @Cyknightwas fairly straight forward - there is a warranty.  The product post warranty has enough of a defect rate the company put in a policy to help those impacted.  That is more than an ample response.  And non dealers who dont make money on c4 spend a lot of time here helping too - @Amrcame up with a cheap solution and posted all the steps.  For free, to help the community, not to make a buck.

This is a Control4 community forum. The fact that some of you flip the second someone is negative about products, brand or company is ridiculous.  No. Most clients think ridiculously expensive hand held remotes that provide few if any cutting edge features shouldn't need replaced as quickly as a $50 Amazon Alexa. It's a bad look for everyone involved in the sale. Each generation of touch screen has had similar failures. No. Its not odd to come to a forum and explain your opinions and experiences on something that interests you. Not sure what a Ford has to do with anything every time this conversation comes up but you'd better be sure if someone bought a $300k luxury car and the dash started to fail after a year without any reason they would be driving that bucket right back to where they got it. 

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Difference between a defect and quality issue? Maybe on paper by definition but the outcome to the customer is the same...crap

100%.  sorry but "there's a difference between a defect and a quality issue." .... is real crap. 

5 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

This is a Control4 community forum. The fact that some of you flip the second someone is negative about products, brand or company is ridiculous.  No. Most clients think ridiculously expensive hand held remotes that provide few if any cutting edge features shouldn't need replaced as quickly as a $50 Amazon Alexa. It's a bad look for everyone involved in the sale. Each generation of touch screen has had similar failures. No. Its not odd to come to a forum and explain your opinions and experiences on something that interests you. Not sure what a Ford has to do with anything every time this conversation comes up but you'd better be sure if someone bought a $300k luxury car and the dash started to fail after a year without any reason they would be driving that bucket right back to where they got it. 

100%.  sorry but "there's a difference between a defect and a quality issue." .... is real crap. 

People do post negative stuff.  For years I’ve complained about various hardware and software issues.  But I have positives to say too

its odd someone takes their time to read the forum to ONLY post one negative comment after another. 

you yourself post both sides though lean a bit more anti C4 but you show both sides.  It’s appreciated.  

To just be negative - it’s sad to be a negative person all the time.  Spend time doing things you enjoy.  

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

To just be negative - it’s sad to be a negative person all the time.  Spend time doing things you enjoy.  

Like unquestioningly worshiping companies that sell me things? No thanks. I assume you are still talking about me.  We seem to have asymmetrical levels of interest in what the other posts, if you are certain that I only post “negatively” based on your review of all my posts. I don’t have that recollection, but then again I don’t think stating truths about a product, like “Luma is junk your dealer likes to sell, get something else,” or “DS2 is bad, look for a different solution” is being “negative.”  Perhaps someone will not spend money they shouldn’t, that pleases me and seems like a net positive to me. I enjoy that very much, much more than I would doing the opposite, as so many unaccountably seem to do. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.