C4 Forums | Control4

New Remotes

I heard that the replacement program was a PITA for dealers as C4 was apparently overwhelmed with requests.  RMAs not completed, etc.

My dealer certainly knew I had two SR260 remotes circa 2018 - did they call and ask how they were doing or if I had any issues - no.  I thought I was stuck with them until reading here.  C4 never put a notice out to customers either that I am aware of.

This sort of thing is the dilemma with Control4.  In my humble opinion they have yet to strike the correct balance between being customer oriented vs. dealer oriented.

I'm happy to pay a dealer for necessary things to keep my smart home running flawlessly - so don't flame me.  It is when I miss out on replacement programs, don't know about or get an understandable notice of a service outages (yes I know about the website and ability to sign up for updates, but they frankly are overwhelming or uninterpretable), or cannot rename a device or add something simple in Composer HE that requires a dealer with Composer Pro that I too get a bit perturbed with the C4 business model (not to take this too far off topic, but why not give customers something closer to Composer Pro - you break it so bad that it needs a dealer to fix it then so be it - - auto manufacturers don't bolt the hood of the car down - you can go in and tinker - and guess what - if you f something up so bad that you wreck the car or have to go into a dealer to get it serviced, that's on you)...this is just one more example.

14 hours ago, anon2828 said:

What if you just became aware of this program?  My dealer never made me aware or asked if I had any Sr260 issues - which I do, both screens are super dim, and I just thought I was stuck with them...

Theory is the remotes in question were produced so long ago that if they were going to fail from that issue they should have failed already. If it took you 3yrs to ask your dealer about it well..... At some point they have to move forward. 

9 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Theory is the remotes in question were produced so long ago that if they were going to fail from that issue they should have failed already. If it took you 3yrs to ask your dealer about it well..... At some point they have to move forward. 

I think he's saying that there was never a customer bulletin on it,  dealer never told him about it (nor motivated to),  etc so the process is a bit flawed if there is no information push from C4 or the dealer to the customer.  Some sort of recall notice or something would be a bit more customer centric.   I get the frustration.  

13 hours ago, msgreenf said:

It really wasn't hard. Send a pic of the Mac, pic of the screen, pic of the circuit board drilled and a few weeks later remote arrived. 

I get the irritation expressed on the thread. I paid for prob 2-3 remote replacements and no one told me (a) there was a replacement program and (b) it was a know issue. And I have a platinum/pinnacle (whatever is the highest) dealer!

3 hours ago, DanITman said:

Sucks they are stopping this program as I feel remotes that are replaced today will also fail.  Snatch up a sr250 as those seem to be fine. 

Seems they know the lot #s and production dates and those are years ago now so shouldn't really be an issue unless someone has very old stock they sell someone. 

8 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Seems they know the lot #s and production dates and those are years ago now so shouldn't really be an issue unless someone has very old stock they sell someone. 

I've seen it happening with new remotes as well.  It's not a "bad stock" from what I've seen. 

18 hours ago, ejn1 said:

I think he's saying that there was never a customer bulletin on it,  dealer never told him about it (nor motivated to),  etc so the process is a bit flawed if there is no information push from C4 or the dealer to the customer.  Some sort of recall notice or something would be a bit more customer centric.   I get the frustration.  

Completely agree. I have a few of these that I got in 2017 and all have the screen issue. I've replaced a couple with Neeos and like those, but didn't find out about this replacement program until I saw it on here...the day after it ended. My dealer who installed my system and sold me the SR260s never once mentioned this to me. 

5 hours ago, lippavisual said:

I'm in the camp of "it's not fixed".  Bad design from the get go.

I'm in the camp of - "we'll see".

It was supposedly a bad LCD screen, which was supposedly re-sourced or fixed by the manufacturer (not sure which, and if the latter....well "we'll see" for sure).

I have NOT seen it on newer remotes, then again, newer remotes are likely to be too new to show it yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.