C4 Forums | Control4

How many screens do you have and why?

2 hours ago, QLOGIC said:

anyone know when the T4 screen will be available to be powered by AC and connect via WIFI? the tech sheet says it can but my dealer says it is only POE for now, and I don't have a ethernet where I want to put it. so we have a T3 there now but want a T4.

I find it weird that the spec sheet says the connector is there but the unit doesn't have it

I assume you must be referring to an in-wall T4, since the tabletop T4 is AC powered only. If so, you don't need an actual ethernet connection there.  Get a POE injector, plug it in (or get power to it however you like), and then run an ethernet cable from the POE port of the injector to your T4.  That will provide power to the T4.  Next, select wifi access in the network settings of the T4 screen, and that will give it a network connection.

7 minutes ago, DLite said:

I assume you must be referring to an in-wall T4, since the tabletop T4 is AC powered only. If so, you don't need an actual ethernet connection there.  Get a POE injector, plug it in (or get power to it however you like), and then run an ethernet cable from the POE port of the injector to your T4.  That will provide power to the T4.  Next, select wifi access in the network settings of the T4 screen, and that will give it a network connection.

That’s all fine & good if you can run Cat to the touchscreen location. He has a T3 powered by 120V and can’t magically turn that Romex into Cat.

That's the problem. I need a T4 that does 120v. 

I want to add a couple more but no ethernet for Poe. Didn't think of it when running cables. And to hard to run new lines. 

Hope they have one soon so I can upgrade. Would like to have all the latest version. Since it's a new system

45 minutes ago, DLite said:

35 minutes ago, cshepard said:

That’s all fine & good if you can run Cat to the touchscreen location. He has a T3 powered by 120V and can’t magically turn that Romex into Cat.

I might be missing it but I don’t think that’s an objection to the solution proposed by D Lite. Power a POE injector that isn’t running back to a switch.  Just providing POE in the forward direction. Run an Ethernet cable from there to the T4. Set the T4 to use Wi-Fi. 

17 hours ago, wnpublic said:

I might be missing it but I don’t think that’s an objection to the solution proposed by D Lite. Power a POE injector that isn’t running back to a switch.  Just providing POE in the forward direction. Run an Ethernet cable from there to the T4. Set the T4 to use Wi-Fi. 

Yes, exactly.  I should have been clearer.  Plug the POE injector into power.  And then run a (presumably short) ethernet cable directly from the POE injector to the T4.  At no point does this need to be connected back to your network.  Then put the T4 on wifi, and you should be set.  I used this exact setup for a few days while I was waiting for my electrician to run a new ethernet cable to my T4, and it worked fine.

6 hours ago, DLite said:

Yes, exactly.  I should have been clearer.  Plug the POE injector into power.  And then run a (presumably short) ethernet cable directly from the POE injector to the T4.  At no point does this need to be connected back to your network.  Then put the T4 on wifi, and you should be set.  I used this exact setup for a few days while I was waiting for my electrician to run a new ethernet cable to my T4, and it worked fine.

I understand very perfectly what you meant…but you are missing the point: OP doesn’t have—and can’t get—Cat to the touchscreen. All he has available is Romex. And there’s no good way, while staying within code, to toss a PoE injector inside the wall.

22 hours ago, cshepard said:

I understand very perfectly what you meant…but you are missing the point: OP doesn’t have—and can’t get—Cat to the touchscreen. All he has available is Romex. And there’s no good way, while staying within code, to toss a PoE injector inside the wall.

A solution was provided to that problem. You didn’t like it. The end. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

to code is the keypart...so yeah, i don't think anyone on here should endorse hiding outlets in walls

Only if you are a rigid thinker. Is there a plug nearby?  Get a plugin POE injector and run the Ethernet cable in wall where you need to go. Do your clients like it when you say “can’t be done”?

7 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Only if you are a rigid thinker. Is there a plug nearby?  Get a plugin POE injector and run the Ethernet cable in wall where you need to go. Do your clients like it when you say “can’t be done”?

or do clients like the look of random cables running into the wall?

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

or do clients like the look of random cables running into the wall?

This is a relatively common problem and solution and there are plenty of ways to go about this without breaking code or "random" installation. QLogic will/would have to assess the implementation since none of us are on site. The point is that the poster or anyone else is now aware they can use just the power output end of an injector without needing a home run LAN connection. Running wire locally is always easier. 

So yeah... I also agree.. Do your clients like it when you say “can’t be done”? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.