c4forums | The Control4 Community

AndroidTV C4 App / OSD

Elvis

Why not have a SmartTV app that mimics the C4 OSD? Every TV is smart, but I don't need an EA1 (or better) connected to each TV. 

I've decentralized my video when I moved, both out of necessity and convenience. Having to add a controller to each TV just to get the OSD is overkill. An app would be more than good enough.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Why not have a SmartTV app that mimics the C4 OSD? Every TV is smart, but I don't need an EA1 (or better) connected to each TV. 

I've decentralized my video when I moved, both out of necessity and convenience. Having to add a controller to each TV just to get the OSD is overkill. An app would be more than good enough.

It’s a great idea.  But it probably hurts their sales.  That is why you cannot “easily” do intercom on an ipad or android tablet because it will hurt T4 sales.  Making a TV with an OSD app would hurt sales of touch screens, remotes and EA controllers - all other ways to get OSD or just interact with the system in general.  I am sure the phone app hurts sales enough but is “expected” to be competitive in the industry.  

Video storm does have their Splash Tiles that can interact and show status of devices in C4 and has two way communication ability.  So you have that option.

You can install the C4 phone/tablet app on any Android based streaming device or TV via ADB.  I imagine the navigation would be wonky / non functional via the remote though, so you would likely need an air mouse to control it.  

Porting the app for TV display is literally just adding the DPAD navigation code, a few lines in the app manifest, and updating the store page......