C4 Forums | Control4

AndroidTV C4 App / OSD

Elvis

Why not have a SmartTV app that mimics the C4 OSD? Every TV is smart, but I don't need an EA1 (or better) connected to each TV. 

I've decentralized my video when I moved, both out of necessity and convenience. Having to add a controller to each TV just to get the OSD is overkill. An app would be more than good enough.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Why not have a SmartTV app that mimics the C4 OSD? Every TV is smart, but I don't need an EA1 (or better) connected to each TV. 

I've decentralized my video when I moved, both out of necessity and convenience. Having to add a controller to each TV just to get the OSD is overkill. An app would be more than good enough.

It’s a great idea.  But it probably hurts their sales.  That is why you cannot “easily” do intercom on an ipad or android tablet because it will hurt T4 sales.  Making a TV with an OSD app would hurt sales of touch screens, remotes and EA controllers - all other ways to get OSD or just interact with the system in general.  I am sure the phone app hurts sales enough but is “expected” to be competitive in the industry.  

Video storm does have their Splash Tiles that can interact and show status of devices in C4 and has two way communication ability.  So you have that option.

You can install the C4 phone/tablet app on any Android based streaming device or TV via ADB.  I imagine the navigation would be wonky / non functional via the remote though, so you would likely need an air mouse to control it.  

Porting the app for TV display is literally just adding the DPAD navigation code, a few lines in the app manifest, and updating the store page......

• 6 months later...

Savant has this for Apple TV so no reason C4 can't do the same.  I get that it hurts the bottom line, but at the same time it doesn't really, as my dealer quoted me an EA1 just to have the OSD on 3 additional TVs but we decided against it as the cost just didn't make sense just for that one feature.

19 hours ago, 416to305 said:

Savant has this for Apple TV so no reason C4 can't do the same.  I get that it hurts the bottom line, but at the same time it doesn't really, as my dealer quoted me an EA1 just to have the OSD on 3 additional TVs but we decided against it as the cost just didn't make sense just for that one feature.

Most people on this forum (a very, very small % of c4 users) say the "cool" factor wears off very quickly for OSD and I agree.  The only time it is used is to adjust the HVAC when I am in bed and too lazy to turn to the side to get my phone.  Between keypads, true automation (Sensors, timers, etc), touchscreens, voice control, etc it is just super rare to need to go to a tv and navigate to do stuff.

Just my honest $.02

39 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Most people on this forum (a very, very small % of c4 users) say the "cool" factor wears off very quickly for OSD and I agree.  The only time it is used is to adjust the HVAC when I am in bed and too lazy to turn to the side to get my phone.  Between keypads, true automation (Sensors, timers, etc), touchscreens, voice control, etc it is just super rare to need to go to a tv and navigate to do stuff.

Just my honest $.02

I definitely agree with you.  The reason I wanted the OSD is because in my Family Room and a couple others are where my parents or father in law would be generally watching TV if they visit, so I wanted it to be as easy as possible for them to pick up the remote and use it.  I was going to just put a tabletop T4 in there, but no guest would know to use that to control the TV, plus I tried it myself and hated using it to watch TV always having to look at it to see the buttons to press.  We have satellite and the guide isn't that great so I made custom station logos and manually added them all as Channels, so we use the OSD honestly more as the guide for the satellite as it's generally easier.

That's generally the only reason I wanted it, as otherwise I just use the Neeo's or whatever.  I just dislike the C4 app as on my Android and my iPhone it always takes 2-3 seconds at minimum to open saying "Connecting to Home..." for a few seconds first, so I find I rarely use the C4 app on a mobile device due to that.

1 hour ago, 416to305 said:

I definitely agree with you.  The reason I wanted the OSD is because in my Family Room and a couple others are where my parents or father in law would be generally watching TV if they visit, so I wanted it to be as easy as possible for them to pick up the remote and use it.  I was going to just put a tabletop T4 in there, but no guest would know to use that to control the TV, plus I tried it myself and hated using it to watch TV always having to look at it to see the buttons to press.  We have satellite and the guide isn't that great so I made custom station logos and manually added them all as Channels, so we use the OSD honestly more as the guide for the satellite as it's generally easier.

That's generally the only reason I wanted it, as otherwise I just use the Neeo's or whatever.  I just dislike the C4 app as on my Android and my iPhone it always takes 2-3 seconds at minimum to open saying "Connecting to Home..." for a few seconds first, so I find I rarely use the C4 app on a mobile device due to that.

that's all fair - in that 1 room you can get an EA1 vs getting 3 like the original quote.  so its 1/3 of the price 🙂  It is not like all TVs need an EA1 or no TV's can have one.  And I don't have a Neeo or satellite with channel selection as an option like that, but seems like you could use the neeo and they could select the icons there.  That is more expensive than an EA1 though I think.

If there is a video matrix you can use that too and share the HDMI output - not "suggested" by C4 but how often are 2 people in two different rooms going to try and access the OSD?  

5 hours ago, eggzlot said:

that's all fair - in that 1 room you can get an EA1 vs getting 3 like the original quote.  so its 1/3 of the price 🙂  It is not like all TVs need an EA1 or no TV's can have one.  And I don't have a Neeo or satellite with channel selection as an option like that, but seems like you could use the neeo and they could select the icons there.  That is more expensive than an EA1 though I think.

If there is a video matrix you can use that too and share the HDMI output - not "suggested" by C4 but how often are 2 people in two different rooms going to try and access the OSD?  

It was originally Family Room and then 2 guest bedrooms but we decided it wasn't worth the expense just to get an EA1 for each of those rooms just for the OSD.  We had also got a proposal from Savant and that was where we had thought about going that route, since it would have just been an AppleTV.  When comparing the cost, I just preferred the SR260 + EA1 for OSD vs a Neeo for some reason as it was generally a bit cheaper.

Having said that, I personally never use the OSD lol.  The main reason I dislike it is because I have it on HDMI 4 on my Sony TVs, but when changing inputs, it always displays "HDMI 4" and then the time for a good 5 seconds or so right on top of the OSD a good 6 inches or so of the display which covers the top icons a bit.

5 minutes ago, 416to305 said:

It was originally Family Room and then 2 guest bedrooms but we decided it wasn't worth the expense just to get an EA1 for each of those rooms just for the OSD.  We had also got a proposal from Savant and that was where we had thought about going that route, since it would have just been an AppleTV.  When comparing the cost, I just preferred the SR260 + EA1 for OSD vs a Neeo for some reason as it was generally a bit cheaper.

Having said that, I personally never use the OSD lol.  The main reason I dislike it is because I have it on HDMI 4 on my Sony TVs, but when changing inputs, it always displays "HDMI 4" and then the time for a good 5 seconds or so right on top of the OSD a good 6 inches or so of the display which covers the top icons a bit.

Can always get an SR260 for those rooms and afterwards if you go doh, we really need the EA1 you can always add it later.  plenty on eBay and this forum in the for sale section you can probably find them.  Easy to add in after the fact, its a power cord + hdmi cable and a remote dealer here could get it up and running in minutes.  Just food for thought, its easy (and cheap) to tack on after the fact

Just giving you a lower cost way of doing it, not trying to disturb the relationship you have with your local dealer.

For sure!  Sorry if I wasn't clear, we did go SR260 for all those rooms.  I was just trying to point out that someone said making the OSD app run on Android or AppleTV would hurt the bottom line, but I was saying not really as they were assuming not being able to have an app would mean people are forced to get the EA1, but it seems like most people don't use the OSD and would say it's not worth it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.