C4 Forums | Control4

Intrinsic AppleTV Driver NOT compatible with TVOS 15

RAV

On 3/18/2022 at 4:10 AM, IntrinsicGroup said:

Hopefully - I can't make any promises on it though until the driver is completed but that's our intention.

any current update yet intrinsic?

I find the existing HomeKit based driver fairly stable, but it still needs to be reset every now and then, but on the other hand TVOS  now has betas out for version 16....

I'm not holding my breath for the intrinsic driver. I think better to ask C4 what's up with the lost connections  and see if that can be fixed!

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

@IntrinsicGroupdo you care to give an update?

I'm afraid still no update to give. We're still actively working on the driver but it's still not ready and I can't give a release date. As soon as we have an update we'll send a newsletter round to all the dealers on our subscriber list as well as updating the forums.

9 hours ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

I'm afraid still no update to give. We're still actively working on the driver but it's still not ready and I can't give a release date. As soon as we have an update we'll send a newsletter round to all the dealers on our subscriber list as well as updating the forums.

Have to say the pace of movement there is extremely slow as this seems to be the only driver you are working on. Disappointing. 

5 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Have to say the pace of movement there is extremely slow as this seems to be the only driver you are working on. Disappointing. 

This is not the issue, they announced it almost 1.5 years ago and they where singing up beta testers and all of a sudden a complete shutoff, so am not sure what is going on there, but I moved on.

I don’t believe I’ll ever use any of their drivers again, the risk of completely wait in the dark for years for an update is absurd.

6 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

This is certainly not the only driver we're working on, we have released lots of drivers in the past year but we only have one developer that's able to work on the Apple TV driver due to the programming languages involved. We're not deliberately being slow on this, there would be no sense in that, it's just taking lot of development work, and a lot longer than we would have liked to get it ready for release.

17 minutes ago, Amr said:

This is not the issue, they announced it almost 1.5 years ago and they where singing up beta testers and all of a sudden a complete shutoff, so am not sure what is going on there, but I moved on.

I don’t believe I’ll ever use any of their drivers again, the risk of completely wait in the dark for years for an update is absurd.

In September (10 months ago) we thought we were close to a beta. Our internal testing was looking good but once we got deeper into testing some issues were spotted which meant there was no point releasing it to beta at that stage. We've been working on the driver ever since. I'm glad you've found an alternative solution that's working for you. 

37 minutes ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

In September (10 months ago) we thought we were close to a beta. Our internal testing was looking good but once we got deeper into testing some issues were spotted which meant there was no point releasing it to beta at that stage. We've been working on the driver ever since. I'm glad you've found an alternative solution that's working for you. 

Good luck in your development efforts, was a great driver when it lasted

On 6/24/2022 at 3:05 AM, Amr said:

They certainly don’t seem to be working on the Tesla one, either. At this point I’ll probably steer clear of their stuff, considering the snails pace at which updates occur. I’d hate to buy it, then have an update knock it off line for a year or two why they “work on it”.

11 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

They certainly don’t seem to be working on the Tesla one, either. At this point I’ll probably steer clear of their stuff, considering the snails pace at which updates occur. I’d hate to buy it, then have an update knock it off line for a year or two why they “work on it”.

Well, we had been hit by many not them soley, remember the famous echo driver? $150 went into the drain, anyways, this is not normal but every industry has its caviet.

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Yeah but different when a driver can be updated and takes over a year compared to deciding not to support a driver or closing. Seems development is very very slow w Intrinsic and for same reason will steer clear.

Just to confirm this is not a driver update. This is a completely new driver as the protocol for tvOS 15 is different to tvOS 13 and 14. The existing driver will not be updated, it continues to work, as sold, for Apple TVs running tvOS 13 and 14.

All of our self-funded drivers (the ones we charge for per license as opposed to the manufacturer commissioning them) are sold as compatible with the hardware/firmware at the time, whilst we will always try to update and support the latest firmwares it's not always possible as we are not working directly with the manufacturer. Please always read the "Supported Models" tab on the driver page to check the driver compatibility.

4 hours ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

Just to confirm this is not a driver update. This is a completely new driver as the protocol for tvOS 15 is different to tvOS 13 and 14. The existing driver will not be updated, it continues to work, as sold, for Apple TVs running tvOS 13 and 14.

All of our self-funded drivers (the ones we charge for per license as opposed to the manufacturer commissioning them) are sold as compatible with the hardware/firmware at the time, whilst we will always try to update and support the latest firmwares it's not always possible as we are not working directly with the manufacturer. Please always read the "Supported Models" tab on the driver page to check the driver compatibility.

I must say that I am struggling to follow this reasoning.

Reason being: the native C4 driver (more about this below) seamlessly moved fromTVOS14 to TVOS15.  There was a driver update a day or two before (from memory) TVOS15 went live and (most annoyingly) one had to reboot the Director before it started working again.

So why the demand for another Apple TV driver.  Two reasons (in my view):

1. Many people have reported issues with the native driver (I must say that I have not experienced any serious issue).

2. One (certainly me) is always hoping for an Apple TV driver which handles mini Apps and metadata.

21 hours ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

Fact remains the driver is taking way too long to develop. Updates to other drivers (ie Tesla) are already past 6 mo as well. This isn't just one driver it's a pattern with the company. 

• 4 months later...

Hi all, everyone who has an existing tvOS 13 and 14 driver with us should have received an email from us today with an update (assuming you have consented to emails from us). Our tvOS 16 driver is now available and offered free of charge to everyone with a license for the tvOS 13 and 14 driver. Simply download the driver files here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ahph4k23axdm6lo/AACEcDlO_0l7PnEr3Vxvl2WVa?dl=0 and follow the integration note to ensure correct installation of the driver.

We know this has taken a lot longer than anticipated and we can only apologise for that - if we could have got the driver out sooner we would have done. It is offered now free of charge for anyone with an existing driver license that still requires it and isn't using an alternative. 

If you'd like to find out more about the driver you can do so here - https://www.intrinsicdev.com/downloads/apple-tv-4k-tvos-16-driver-for-control4/

Our driver is offered as an option. There are other options available for Control4 and we always recommend discussing with your client the pros and cons of each integration solution to ensure they're fully informed. 

control4-Apple-tv16-small.jpg.ce3c2a939ac38d4eb5a61393f1fb26d0.jpg

26 minutes ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

Hi all, everyone who has an existing tvOS 13 and 14 driver with us should have received an email from us today with an update (assuming you have consented to emails from us). Our tvOS 16 driver is now available and offered free of charge to everyone with a license for the tvOS 13 and 14 driver. Simply download the driver files here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ahph4k23axdm6lo/AACEcDlO_0l7PnEr3Vxvl2WVa?dl=0 and follow the integration note to ensure correct installation of the driver.

We know this has taken a lot longer than anticipated and we can only apologise for that - if we could have got the driver out sooner we would have done. It is offered now free of charge for anyone with an existing driver license that still requires it and isn't using an alternative. 

If you'd like to find out more about the driver you can do so here - https://www.intrinsicdev.com/downloads/apple-tv-4k-tvos-16-driver-for-control4/

Our driver is offered as an option. There are other options available for Control4 and we always recommend discussing with your client the pros and cons of each integration solution to ensure they're fully informed. 

Great news, appreciated pushing through this driver although the long dev but keeping up with Apple is an exhausting effort anyways 😃

1 hour ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

This is big news. Thanks @IntrinsicGroup. Already installing and putting it through some tests. The inclusion of additional controls such as Home & Control Panel commands already makes this better than the standard Control4 driver.

Limited Direct App Launching functionality (requires manual programming)

Is there any documentation on this feature? Would LOVE to play around with app launching and not afraid to code.

22 minutes ago, jimbones said:

This is big news. Thanks @IntrinsicGroup. Already installing and putting it through some tests. The inclusion of additional controls such as Home & Control Panel commands already makes this better than the standard Control4 driver.

Is there any documentation on this feature? Would LOVE to play around with app launching and not afraid to code.

Hope you get on well with it - any issues or questions drop us a ticket on our support page (www.intrinsicdev.com/support) and it'll go straight through to the developer.

Regarding app launching I don't believe it's in the integration note, let me get some info from the developer and get back to you on that one... most likely be the start of next week.

Just now, IntrinsicGroup said:

Hope you get on well with it - any issues or questions drop us a ticket on our support page (www.intrinsicdev.com/support) and it'll go straight through to the developer.

Regarding app launching I don't believe it's in the integration note, let me get some info from the developer and get back to you on that one... most likely be the start of next week.

Setup 4 AppleTV's in about 10min. Went perfectly. No issues. Controls are snappy and responsive. Nice work.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, jimbones said:

@jimbones the quick launch codes needed for popular apps are available in the programming interface in Composer... I've asked our developer if they can add some info to the manual

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.