C4 Forums | Control4

Control4, My Movies and Popbox

Hello,

Has anyone here used or have expeience with the above listed items? I have setup the My Movies driver in Control4 and am having a problem. Everything is working correctly execpt when I select a movie from Control4 (that was imported from the My Movies computer) the system switches inputs to the Popbox player, but the movies does not start to play. I also tried to set this up using a QNAP NAS and I get the same result. Using debug on the Control4 QNAP driver I can see an error that says "movie not found". I have a feeling that when the movie is launched both the Pobbox and QNAP can not find the movie that was imported by the network file storage driver setup for My Movies. The Control4 network file storage is connected. If anyone has any ideas on this and may be able to help it would be much appriciated!

On 8/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, KeithJ said:

to the Popbox player,

Now there's a blast from the past!

Playing movies directly through the Movies interface can generally be a bit crufty. Likely something with connections not set up correctly, but I'll have to have one of the experts/pros weigh in on that.

That said, I'd recommend looking into using either Plex with Nvidia Shield as the client (if you care about passthrough audio) or any Roku you can hardwire to the network if you don't care about audio and just want want integration. Both the shield and the Roku now provide the same level of integration and directly launch into mini-apps.

More robust option would be to look into Zappiti, but this is not a server-client setup, but you can have an NFS mount point the Zappiti can access. @alanchow and team have a great driver for Zappiti as well for full media playback/metadata integration. 

7 hours ago, tmj4 said:

Now there's a blast from the past!

Playing movies directly through the Movies interface can generally be a bit crufty. Likely something with connections not set up correctly, but I'll have to have one of the experts/pros weigh in on that.

That said, I'd recommend looking into using either Plex with Nvidia Shield as the client (if you care about passthrough audio) or any Roku you can hardwire to the network if you don't care about audio and just want want integration. Both the shield and the Roku now provide the same level of integration and directly launch into mini-apps.

More robust option would be to look into Zappiti, but this is not a server-client setup, but you can have an NFS mount point the Zappiti can access. @alanchow and team have a great driver for Zappiti as well for full media playback/metadata integration. 

Its a great product.  It is definitely my choice if you cannot afford Kaleidescape.

Zappiti driver linked here for reference.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/zappiti-control4

Zappiti Video Wall.png

zappiti_05.png

If you aren't set on Zappiti yet and don't need anything right away, I would wait until they have a Dolby Vision compatible player out. The Shield Pro can currently playback mkv UHD backups in Plex created from MakeMKV that have Dolby Vision metadata, but that's about it.

Per Zappiti (link here)...it's currently in Beta/Work in Progress as of about a month ago, but no updates since. It will likely need to be new players that have the newer DV (and also HDR10+) compatible RTD1619DR chip compared to what is currently in the Zappiti's, which is the older RTD1295 that only supports HDR10.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got aging Popcorn Hours and a NAS full of movies my family wants access to again. I used MyMovies in the past but it’s been problematic. 

I have Rokus and Apple TV’s…what would be the best way to scrape my NAS for movies and metadata, browse and select cover art via the C4 interface and then obviously play the movie?

19 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I’ve got aging Popcorn Hours and a NAS full of movies my family wants access to again. I used MyMovies in the past but it’s been problematic. 

I have Rokus and Apple TV’s…what would be the best way to scrape my NAS for movies and metadata, browse and select cover art via the C4 interface and then obviously play the movie?

Plex Full

Plex is great, and seems to improve continuously.  You might think about grabbing an Nvidia Shield Pro and using the built-in Plex server.  Faster than a Roku for just about everything, free C4 driver, AI upscaling that can make standard def stuff look pretty good, highly configurable.

If you have Apple TV’s, I’d recommend Infuse Pro.  While (unfortunately) it does not link in to C4s movies, it does have fantastic meta data and gives a great experience on the Apple TV.  It is (obviously) controllable from your Neeo or SR260 via the Apple TV.  I moved to Infuse a few years ago (was a bug Dune fan previously) and have not looked back!

5 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I want to sort the software side and make sure I can get good metadata and what not

I don't have a problem with metadata using Plex.  Certainly not with regular movies.  You can choose from a range of agents that contribute metadata.  Very occasionally I have some made-for-TV documentary that shows up as a movie without metadata, but that tends to be something obscure and brand new.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:14 PM, OceanDad said:

I don't have a problem with metadata using Plex.  Certainly not with regular movies.  You can choose from a range of agents that contribute metadata.  Very occasionally I have some made-for-TV documentary that shows up as a movie without metadata, but that tends to be something obscure and brand new.

I spend quiet sometime choosing background and movie posters for ever single movie I add, kind of a routine for me now just to match my taste, while hectic keeps the entire setup polished 

Plex metadata is quite extensive. You can also edit information to help with display order (ie Harry Potter 1-8 vs alphabetical name) and even change the movie poster (I make sure 4K is displayed on the poster)

You can also create libraries (007, Marvel, Star Wars, etc) and play lists.

Chances are Qnap has the ability to run flex server.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.