C4 Forums | Control4

Luma 510 NVR: No Camera Feeds or Names

As part of my home Control4 installation, I have a Luma 510 4-Channel NVR, with 2 Luma 510 Bullet Cameras, 1 DS2-Mini, and a recently added Chime Video Doorbell.  I like to have Internet Explorer logged into the NVR, showing all the camera feeds, on the 2nd monitor of my PC.  Yes, I know IE is old, about to die, but it's a convenient way to see all cameras at my PC, and is the only thing I use it for.  It's supposed to now work in Chrome, but it never has for me.

The original problem was with the Chime Doorbell - pressing the button always initiated an Intercom call to our T3, but only rarely went to our Android phones (which work fine with the DS2-Mini button presses).  I initially had the Chime plugged into a TP-Link 8-port POE Switch, which some suggested might be the source of the Intercom problem.  So I rerouted things, moving my printer to the TP-Link switch, and plugged the POE Chime into the Araknis 8-port POE Switch (210 series), where 2 Araknis WAP's, and the DS2-Mini are plugged in.  (The 2 Luma cameras plug directly into the NVR.)

For reasons I still don't understand, changing from the TP-Link switch to the Arkanis switch, resulted in loss of video from the Chime.  I tried re-doing the Custom Protocol and configuration through the IE interface, but it never worked, and changes didn't "stick" (despite using the correct password and so forth).  I then ran Luma VMS, and finally got things going by deleting the Chime, and then re-adding it.

I then discovered that now none of the cameras showed in the NVR interface in IE.  They all showed fine in the C4 App on our Android Phones, as well as in the Luma app.  When I check camera configuration in IE, all of the information is correct, including IP's, protocols, etc., but now the Camera Names were missing.  Similarly, the places where you configure image and video, where there is a drop-down list for the different cameras had empty slots for each of the 4 cameras.  I've attached screenshots showing both of these.

I tried to add the names back in, but despite it saying these were saved, no names ever appear.

I can log into each of the cameras directly, and they have both the video feeds, as well as the correct names.  But the NVR itself is somehow not seeing these names or the videofeeds.

I spent well over an hour with Snap One support, with a TeamViewer session, but couldn't get things going.  Troubleshooting steps which I had already done, and then repeated with him, included:

• Multiple reboots of the NVR
  • Shut down, unplugged for 30 seconds, and rebooted the NVR
  • Reset IE to factory defaults and rebooted the computer, with re-installation of the required Web Components needed in IE to work with the NVR
  • Ran Luma VMS but the remote configuration menu does not include an option to name or rename the cameras
  • Ran IE with Administrator privileges
  • Tried running it in Chrome and Edge, but no images, no camera names. (And in Chrome I previously saw the DS2-Mini, and not the Luma cameras; now it didn't even show up.)
  • Triple-checked all IP address and other network parameters - all are good, and unchanged from screen captures I have from the past.

It's been infuriating.  All cameras are visible in the C4 App, All cameras (and recordings) seen and available in the Luma Phone App.  And I can directly access each camera through their IP address without difficulty.  But nothing is accessible in IE logged into the NVR itself.

His last suggestion was a factory reset, or at least a Device Parameters reset, but wanted to get other ideas before doing this, creating a lot of work, with uncertain confidence of success.

Luma-01.png

Luma-02.png

Not that this helps, but I just replaced one of these at a church client of mine.  Same exact issue that theyve been dealing with for months.

A NVR reset did not fix it either. Luckily they were adding more cameras anyways so I’ve moved them on from LUMA and into Synology. 

They are much happier now. 

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Not that this helps, but I just replaced one of these at a church client of mine.  Same exact issue that theyve been dealing with for months.

A NVR reset did not fix it either. Luckily they were adding more cameras anyways so I’ve moved them on from LUMA and into Synology. 

They are much happier now. 

I appreciate the reply, but that is discouraging.  It's puzzling, as it was working fine for 2+ years.  It's out of warranty now (I assume 2 years, but haven't checked), so I doubt Snap One will be willing to exchange it.  Although if a reset doesn't fix it, and they don't have any other solution, that might motivate them to do something even out of warranty.

For now I'm running the C4 App using Bluestacks on my PC, but the images are smaller, and only refresh every 10 seconds.

If I end up moving to a different NVR - how loud is the fan noise on the Synology unit?  The Luma 510 is quite noisy, and because of where I have to put it in my theater room, it can be distracting (my whole system is a retro-fit, sometimes with limited options in terms of equipment placement).

Thanks for the  reply.

If the NAS is out in the open, it's practically near silent.  if it goes in a cabinet, it could be running faster and a touch louder.  The NAS has different options for the fans too.

Plus, you can use it as a NAS too.  Much better performance and all around better buy than a manufacturers NVR.  It's all I've installed for the last 5-6 years now and haven't looked back (other than dealing with older clients and their systems).

• 3 weeks later...

In case anybody else runs into a similar problem, I wanted to report back that I finally got this fixed.

I went to Maintenance...Default...Restore... "Reset all the parameters, except the IP parameters and user information, to the default settings."

Once I did this, the 2 Luma cameras (connected directly to the Luma NVR) came back online, and once I configured the DS2 and Chime via Custom Protocol, they came back as well.  I had to re-enable the DDNS to access the cameras with the Luma App on my phone, and confirmed it was working.

I still have no idea of what triggered this glitch, but at least a partial reset allowed me to get it up and running again.

And on this subject, with all firmware updates in place, theoretically I should be able to access the NVR and all cameras using Chrome, rather than being restricted to the EOL IE.  But as it was before this glitch, when I access it with Chrome, both my DS2 and Chime come up correctly, but the feeds from the 2 Luma cameras still do not show up.  I guess I'll next have to contact tech support about this...

49 minutes ago, RAV said:

There's a note on the Snap site on how to setup IE mode in Edge.

Many thanks for this, @RAV!  I had to adapt the instructions shown there, as the option for Step 7 ("Reload in Internet Explorer Mode") isn't present, (even when run as Administrator, and Edge shows I have the latest updates).  But in exploring this further, there is an option elsewhere to manually add 'Internet Explorer Pages'.  I entered the URL for my Luma NVR, and all cameras now show up.

The only downside is that the 'permission' to have these specific pages load in IE Mode expire after 30 days.  I guess I'll find out if it gives you the option to renew at that time, or if I have to add it manually once again.  But at least this is a viable alternative.

If there is any similar 'tricks' to get this working in Chrome, I haven't found it yet.  But thankfully, at least this now works in Edge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.