C4 Forums | Control4

What is Best Practice for Transferring C4 System to new Homeowner?

Tech Junkie

Question

Hello,

Have sold home and am including the C4 components in the sale. Includes EA5, EA1, Remote, touch panel, Alarm, Shades, 2 channels audio with TRIADs, NVR and cams, Lights, garage doors, HVAC. Also giving them the router and modem with the passwords.

- What do I need to do on my end?  I no longer have 4 Sight subscription as it just ran out

- Can I just log out of things like music services from the touch panel, or will they be able to resurrect it by loading an old build?

- Do I unregister my controller and then they create their own account on control4.com?

- Can I transfer my Composer Home license key?

I want to leave them as functional a system as possible--it has been great and would be silly to remove--but I am not sure how to do it securely and correctly.

I have also recommended to them to use this forum to look for an integrator--best option.  I have a great one I've used, but I don't want to keep asking him questions "off the clock"--he is like most in this community--a c4 enthusiast  and professional who is very generous with his time.

Cheers--we are building a new custom home and the wife actually said C4 would be great in the new house. Seemed like a lot of money at the time but holy cow--100% uptime for over 3 years.  Never even a hiccup.  More dependable than everything else electronic or mechanical that I own :)

Frank

7 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Tech Junkie said:

Thanks--though I am still unsure what I should do with my control4.com account--unregister the controller and my devices? 

And if I do that, what info do they need from me?

Honestly, 'they' don't need anything. You log out of things like SiriusXM/Deezer etc etc from any interface. Unregister controller is done from customer.control4.com, though frankly, the moment the controller gets registered to a new account, your connection to it is dead, so unregister of the system is optional (though not the services for music)

Log out of all your personal streaming accounts.

Your dealer or a dealer should be able to work with the new owner to transfer the registration to a new account.

Composer HE license is tied to your account, but it is not recommended to give that account to the new home owner as it will not be a clean slate on the Control4 cloud-side.

Keep your account for future use, or have it deleted by Control4 if not.

If you want Contol4 in any new place, that HE license is good for life, but you must keep the same account.

As for what to give the new owner, a dealer will have to register the system, so I would unregister it from your account after logging out of all the personal streaming services.

No info is required to transfer from the old owner to the new owner. The dealer can register the system to a new account as long as the system is unregistered.

8 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

Log out of all your personal streaming accounts.

Your dealer or a dealer should be able to work with the new owner to transfer the registration to a new account.

Composer HE license is tied to your account, but it is not recommended to give that account to the new home owner as it will not be a clean slate on the Control4 cloud-side.

Thanks--though I am still unsure what I should do with my control4.com account--unregister the controller and my devices? 

And if I do that, what info do they need from me?

Just to note for future readers (doesn't affect OP as it's EA series controllers) - IF you have an older controller running the system (older HC800/250 (non bl-1 versions) or older still, there COULD be an issue when selling your system in that there might be a app license on the system (as in to use the C4 mobile app) that would be LOST if you're registering to a new account - this could cause some issues.

As time progresses, this becomes less of an issue, but wanted to note it

ALWAYS wire - CAT cabling is universal, speaker wiring near enough so. Optical is always an option - wire is cheap, though termination isn't - but not common.

You can always decide later what you want to do with the wires, be it C4 or any other system, some of it or all of it. You can bury the wires (take good pictures with measurements) and get to them later, but it will ALWAYS be more expensive to go wireless (and it won't be AS reliable) or retro-pull wires.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.