C4 Forums | Control4

Multiway Switch and Dimmer Feedback

Dueport

I've just discovered an irritating limitation on our setup and am wondering how widespread this issue is.  Specifically, state change is not being reported when the load is controlled via a multiway switch or dimmer.  I'm wondering if others with different hardware experience the same issue as I suspect this is a limitation of our hardware.

In our case, nearly all our loads are legacy z-wave switches and dimmers (from before our upgrade to C4) made by Jasco and integrated with C4 using Vera.  Several loads are controlled by three or four way aux switches.  All is wired correctly and otherwise functions correctly but I only just noticed that C4 doesn't see a state change of the load if that load is controlled via an aux switch.  I'm seeing that vera doesn't see it either so the issue must be with the switch/dimmer itself or with the driver vera is using to talk to the device.  If it is the device, it would be a ridiculous programming choice for the switch/dimmer to not report a state change resulting from an input from an aux switch - but I'm thinking this is likely what's happening.

Because, the C4 Essential line appear to be rebranded Jasco switches/dimmers (with zigbee pro added) and, at least on the surface, appear otherwise identical to what we're using - I'm really curious if any one with C4 Essential lighting in a multiway configuration has this issue?

I'm also assuming that the non-essential C4 dimmers and switches don't have this issue at all when operated by multiway configurations?

Essential and the rest of c4 lighting have unique aux keypads. Keep in mind the aux keypads have no lighting or engraving options. They cannot be programmed. They can only turn on the load that they are connected to. If you want to program functions or want lighting scenes on each side you will want to use configurable keypads or additional essential switches or dimmers not connected to a load.

19 hours ago, msgreenf said:

It's not an issue w c4 essential

That's very interesting thanks Mitch - this indicates then that the device programming on the Essential line is a more extensive revision to the OEM then swapping out the radio with a zigbee pro for C4.  At some point, I might try swapping out one of the dimmers with a C4 Essential dimmer and see if the aux switches I have now cause that essential dimmer to report state when changed from an aux.  May not work at all if there's even more extensive differences between them but may be worth a shot.  Of course, swapping everything out with APDs would be preferable but so many other priorities before then......

3 hours ago, Dueport said:

That's very interesting thanks Mitch - this indicates then that the device programming on the Essential line is a more extensive revision to the OEM then swapping out the radio with a zigbee pro for C4.  At some point, I might try swapping out one of the dimmers with a C4 Essential dimmer and see if the aux switches I have now cause that essential dimmer to report state when changed from an aux.  May not work at all if there's even more extensive differences between them but may be worth a shot.  Of course, swapping everything out with APDs would be preferable but so many other priorities before then......

You need to use the specific Aux keypad for the essential line. It is possible you will damage it using the incorrect device.

• 5 months later...

there is a solution for this that I use. You need to use a load capacitor in order to absorb the leaking voltage that prevents the puck from changing state. We use them here in Australia all the time for any 2 way or 3 way switches.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:31 AM, Dueport said:

The essentials have a full custom firmware and chip so yeah, it's not just an antennae swap.

Nor would I assume the aux will work either - or at least be willing to accept that it might kill the essential line dimmer as well as the aux keypads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.