C4 Forums | Control4

Audio scene presets

DrGonzo65

I have a Triad 8x8 and I'm trying to find a way to set "audio scenes", e.g. play audio in kitchen and dining room, but not office and bedroom, with another scene for playing in all of them.

I am currently trying this with Macros: 1 for kitchen and dining room that disconnects all triad outputs except for the kitchen and dining, and 1 macro for enabling all of them.

The problem that I'm seeing is this: when you have it playing everywhere, you see in the Session on the iphone that all the rooms are playing, yet, when I run macro 1, the music stops in the other rooms, yet the audio session doesn't drop those rooms. I set up custom buttons to test this:

1. Play music
  2. Tap custom button for whole house
  3. Office shows up in Sessions list as playing
  4. Tap "kitchen/dining only"
  5. Office music stop playing, but office still shows up in session
  6. To restart office music, I have to hit the i/o button next to the room in the session, and then manually add the room to the session.

Two questions: First, This seems like a bug. I tested removing the input from that room output in the traid control panel in composer, and the same thing happens. Seems that Sessions isn't updating in the app. Is this a known problem?

Second: Am I programming this "wrong"? Is there a better way to set scenes of room output selections?

Additionally, I don't know the best way to trigger a default.

The input on the Triad is a Sonos port, as I have some Sonos in the mix in the house, and I want the Echo in the kitchen to trigger that port and the local set of Sonos speakers. That is easy to do through Alexa groups, but I want the kitchen/dining macro to run as soon as that music starts. I am currently using "audio sensed on input" as the macro trigger, but I think that doesn't work well when you pause and restart. Is there a better way to do this?

I can tell you what I do (with a couple of Triad 16x16) but I don't know that it's the best way to do it and it's frustrating because there are no session level controls. E.G., I can't kill a session, etc. But it does reliably play audio when and where we want.

I have custom buttons for each of 3 primary audio sources. The button starts a session in the kitchen w/ that source and then adds the main level rooms to it. I then have buttons for 'Add UL', 'Add Loft', 'Add LL' and 'Add Terrace'. Each adds the appropriate rooms to the kitchen session.

In practice then... Press one of the 3 source buttons. Wait until you can hear it, then press any of the add buttons. For multiple add buttons I have to wait a few seconds between pressing them or it misses some or all of the rooms.  

There is an add on package that will supposedly provide the capability to kill a session along with other stuff and it may be a better alternative to lacking C4 capabilities.

Lots of ways to program this. The best is to use a combination of the room control driver and room programming. Make sure you are doing it there an not programming the matrix disconnecting or connection outputs. The latter will give you undesired results like you seem to be experiencing. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:56 AM, DrGonzo65 said:

hat disconnects all triad outputs except for the kitchen and dining, and 1 macro for enabling all of them

This is where you're going wrong to start with.

As per Matt above, you shouldn't be 'manually' programming to the in and outputs.

Always program at room level to turn those rooms to the desired source.

But the first part is figuring out the trigger. Do you have alexa integrated into C4 as well? If so, a scene there to trigger the programming is probably easiest (ie Alexa, turn on dinner music to add dining and kitchen to the sonos)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, TundraSonic said:

I can tell you what I do (with a couple of Triad 16x16) but I don't know that it's the best way to do it and it's frustrating because there are no session level controls. E.G., I can't kill a session, etc. But it does reliably play audio when and where we want.

I have custom buttons for each of 3 primary audio sources. The button starts a session in the kitchen w/ that source and then adds the main level rooms to it. I then have buttons for 'Add UL', 'Add Loft', 'Add LL' and 'Add Terrace'. Each adds the appropriate rooms to the kitchen session.

In practice then... Press one of the 3 source buttons. Wait until you can hear it, then press any of the add buttons. For multiple add buttons I have to wait a few seconds between pressing them or it misses some or all of the rooms.  

There is an add on package that will supposedly provide the capability to kill a session along with other stuff and it may be a better alternative to lacking C4 capabilities.

@TundraSonicAny chance you could share some of this programming? I got the dealer to add room control to each room, but I'm trying to figure out how to do the adds.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.