C4 Forums | Control4

Composer HE: any way to see list of automations?

wnpublic

36 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

Ya, I'll admit that part isn't great.

I'll see what I can do in that regard because that would be beneficial for advanced homeowners.

That would be such a welcome addition!  Anything you can do would be very much appreciated. As it is now, it can be maddening trying to remember sometimes how I approached complex programming. Also very helpful in figuring out why something’s happening due to forgotten or outdated programming. 

I do use the "look at what/then" to find programming I no longer want or want to amend.

However, what's worse for me is that I have no idea what devices are programmed via a prior dealer that went out of business. Some of what he did is not on "When/Then." E.g., if I try to reprogram a keypad button I think I am fighting the bindinhgs he had for the same buitton with no way for me to delete it and start over that I know of. I think the system runs the bindings and then runs my program. The ultimate result is what I want but some lights doing some weird things fiirst.

Any idea how to get rid of those unwanted programs. If I have to have the current dealer do it that is fine. He is worth the $$.

41 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I do use the "look at what/then" to find programming I no longer want or want to amend.

However, what's worse for me is that I have no idea what devices are programmed via a prior dealer that went out of business. Some of what he did is not on "When/Then." E.g., if I try to reprogram a keypad button I think I am fighting the bindinhgs he had for the same buitton with no way for me to delete it and start over that I know of. I think the system runs the bindings and then runs my program. The ultimate result is what I want but some lights doing some weird things fiirst.

Any idea how to get rid of those unwanted programs. If I have to have the current dealer do it that is fine. He is worth the $$.

BINDING are indeed what you're dealing with, and as they aren't programming but connections you can't directly touch them.

Just to clarify, there is nothing a dealer can 'do' to hide programming from the end user in HE or when/then, though the latter may not always show everything (not saying it does or doesn't, just that I'm not 100% if everything shows).

Now there IS a way to remove bindings IF you have the current gen keypads. Understand you're doing this at your own risk

What you CAN do in HE is reconfigure the layout of the buttons. When doing so you can just put the same layout in, and keep any connections you want via the selection menu that will pop up while doing this (ie button 1 goes to button 1, button 2 goes to button 2). Now if you do NOT transfer the functions from one of the buttons that has a binding for a light or lighting scene, it will essentially 'remove' that link - from there you can then program as desired.

As you cannot 'see' the bindings, as mentioned, you do this at your own risk, as you cannot 'fix' any mistakes, and other than careful testing of what a button does now, you cannot 'see' how accurate your 'test' is.

5 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any way in HE to generate/display a list of all existing programming events.  Instead, I have to go device by device to see what's been programmed for each event?  That can't be right. 

Thanks.

I really wish they'd 'release' the recent 'summary view' addition for drivers in Pro to HE as well. Far from perfect, at least it shows you any programming a device is associated with.

This is both ways - it'll show any programming on buttons when selecting a keypad, it'll show any programming that is triggering a light to go on when selecting that light (or changes a TV input when selecting the TV etc etc)

Not perfect, but at least it's something.

And yes, even better if the programming detective suite would be available in HE as well.

We're happy to send a pdf 'print' of all the programming to a client on request, but it would be better if the end-user could just grab that themselves

To Cyknight: Cool workaround, but dealler is coming back for a bunch of "touch up" stuff so I think I'll just let him remove the bindings I do not want. Is there any reason to not ask him to remove all keypad button bindings? I have 11 key pads and half the buttons are "load" for lights where the switches are hidden or in C4 panels. I can program those or the rest for the things I want-none of them have complicated routines. Or do the bindings that do the same thing as programming somehow "work better?"

37 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

To Cyknight: Cool workaround, but dealler is coming back for a bunch of "touch up" stuff so I think I'll just let him remove the bindings I do not want. Is there any reason to not ask him to remove all keypad button bindings? I have 11 key pads and half the buttons are "load" for lights where the switches are hidden or in C4 panels. I can program those or the rest for the things I want-none of them have complicated routines. Or do the bindings that do the same thing as programming somehow "work better?"

They do work better. They create smoother dimmer ramping, scene ramping and better LED feedback.

YMMV - programming buttons to do lights can work and work well, but often they just aren't quite as snappy.

As for the downside of asking the dealer to remove all the bindings - well it would be time and money. Sure, as a dealer I can go in and remove all of them, but it takes time depending on how many there are that could end up meaning a time charge. More so if I first remove them and you want them back....or you want me to program them instead of you...

The reason dealers will normally use bindings is simple. It's better or at least more consistent - and it's much faster. Not a big time saver for 1-5 buttons , but once you're at a hundred it adds up.

As a rough reference, binding is <1 second, programming is ~30 seconds to a few minutes, a dimmer with ramping takes a lot more time than a switch on/off toggle, LED tracking takes up some time - and both increase in time depending on how many lights and buttons there are (simply looking up the right button, light and LED) with programming increasing faster than bindings due to how Composer auto-filters possible bindings by type (and can't filter possible programming devices, as anything goes...).

I logged into a site just now where the end-user wanted all house off buttons detached due to new caretakers in the house. Took me under 5 seconds to disconnect all 8 of them them from a single location in composer - had this been done in programming it would have taken me something closer to 10 minutes to find out all the buttons that used the scene, go to each buttons and remove their programming and LED bindings. Just to give you an idea (and yes I could have deleted the scene, then made a new one and break all the programming to be quicker, but it's to illustrate)

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.