C4 Forums | Control4

Extending Xbox Controller Bluetooth

Samurvi

Hello,

I have some sources like Apple TV already connected to the matrix switch which is connected to TVs in different rooms. I am wondering if there is a way to connect an Xbox as well to the matrix switch and then then use it in different rooms. For the AV part, that should be fine, but the rooms are quite apart and it won't be in range of the controller bluetooth. Is there a way to extend the controller range as well?

Thanks

Samurvi

1 hour ago, Samurvi said:

Hello,

I have some sources like Apple TV already connected to the matrix switch which is connected to TVs in different rooms. I am wondering if there is a way to connect an Xbox as well to the matrix switch and then then use it in different rooms. For the AV part, that should be fine, but the rooms are quite apart and it won't be in range of the controller bluetooth. Is there a way to extend the controller range as well?

Thanks

Samurvi

You really don't want to boost bluetooth signals (or RF signals) for something liek a game controller - "poor" will be the best you'll get out of it from a gaming perspective.

For x-box, I've hear of SOME success in getting a (powered) USB extender and using the adapter for PC (the official microsoft xbox controller to pc adapter/dongle should automatically be recognized by an xbox) to get the controllers to work in a distant room, and you may be able to get one in a central location and make it work that way.

Realize this isn't your exact question, but you can connect the controller to a Windows laptop via Bluetooth and then connect to the console -- that's what I'm doing after investigating this question. The alternative is to use USB over ethernet/video distribution hardware with USB/KVM.

19 minutes ago, booch said:

but you can connect the controller to a Windows laptop via Bluetooth and then connect to the console -- that's what I'm doing after investigating this question.

Forgot about this - I had a client try this out after some mutual digging where she wanted to be able to have the console hooked up to her Twitch setup's screen, but have it available in the regular living room as well. She found it's fine for many of the more 'relaxed' games (RTS, RPG) but once it comes to games where a fast reaction is needed (racing, shooting)) it fails to keep up (This was on a pretty durn high spec laptop and hardwired network direct to the network switch in the Twitch setup).

'Course, she was logically a bit more invested in having it flawless than most.

Depending on the games you play on it, this may well work for you.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:37 AM, Cyknight said:

Forgot about this - I had a client try this out after some mutual digging where she wanted to be able to have the console hooked up to her Twitch setup's screen, but have it available in the regular living room as well. She found it's fine for many of the more 'relaxed' games (RTS, RPG) but once it comes to games where a fast reaction is needed (racing, shooting)) it fails to keep up (This was on a pretty durn high spec laptop and hardwired network direct to the network switch in the Twitch setup).

'Course, she was logically a bit more invested in having it flawless than most.

Depending on the games you play on it, this may well work for you.

Oh I'm def. not a serious gamer, ha -- just like to play Halo and occasionally COD to blow off steam and for the nostalgia!

MS has been iterating on the Xbox app, so maybe I have a newer version, but at least in my case, can't tell the difference in latency.

But it sucks they don't offer a wifi/network solution for home AV -- likely a growing segment of the market for high-end consoles.

We have XBOX One S and PS5 in the A/V rack and get impressive range out of the controllers. Our home is wood construction (traditional modern day American home) and isn’t huge (about 6,000 square feet) but it works for us to play it wherever we want to right out of the box (in one room the Xbox remotes will disconnect on occasion). Have you tried?

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Per ILoveC4's comment, I will try out first to check the range.

In any case, I think this is something that MS should think about. Instead of Bluetooth, a wifi connection can solve the problem as long as there are no latency issues (which would depend on the Wifi network).

I personally use the Xbox app on Windows 10 PC, have a controller connected to that PC and I 'stream' the xbox to the one of the computer monitors.  It's pretty cool how it works.  However I can't speak to the latency for 1st person shooter games.  

But I will caution that when a game needs to download an update while streaming to your PC you will be lucky to get 1.5 MB/s on the download regardless how fast your ISP is.  Stop the streaming and it will immediately jump up to the max speed the update server/your ISP can handle.  It's the difference between 6+ hours to 4 minutes on a 3.9GB update heh.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: The xbox controller has a decent range.. I have couple of walls between the AV-Closet and where I have my TV. The distance from where I sit is about 20 ft and the controller works without any issues even across the obstacles. 

There is no latency. The only downside is that the headset that streams audio connected to the controller does not work in certain spots in the room even when the controller itself works with no issues. For now, I am good with with this, but the issue is that I am not able to connect the xbox to my matrix switch and stream it to another room which is further away. I hope MS comes out with a better solution (wireless bridge for the controller?).

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

On 2/11/2022 at 12:11 AM, snowcatxx87 said:

For me the problem wasn’t the controller - it was the delay created by the switcher and baluns. This caused crazy input lag while playing anything. All consoles should be local in the room, imo.

switch shouldn't add anything - baluns might. Usually HDBaseT isn't an issue - current HDBaseT spec is under 10 MICRO seconds over 100M - old one was 100 micros seconds over 100M - and no you cannot tell the difference in that, no matter how "PRO" you are.

I'm going to guess your issue WAS the range of the controller, it's not just about being able to connect - unless of course you were using some generic "HD over CAT" solution or HD over IP which has a much greater range of possible latency.

That said, I don't disagree that a controller is best 'local' to a room (though that doesn't mean it has to be stuck underneath the TV)

The only USB extender that stands a chance is AVPro’s latest.  It’s been tested against this exact scenario and found to perform adequately, albeit for liability reasons they aren’t saying insignificant lag (yet).  For anyone that knows these guys, they don’t give up easily.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.