C4 Forums | Control4

15-30second Power On - ‘21 Samsung Frame

Have two ‘21 Samsung Frame’s that take 15-30 seconds to power on for any activity. Which causes family members to think the remote is broken. The TV’s were added via SDDP. Wondering if anyone else is seeing a slight delay, or if this is unique to our install.

• jimbones changed the title to 15-30second Power On - ‘21 Samsung Frame

I believe there is a built-in delay of power control with the IP Control drivers for the newer Samsung TVs. As @msgreenf mentioned, the TVs use WoL (sending magic packets--yes that's what it's called) to turn them on over IP. I tested today and was able to write a quick custom driver to turn on and off the TV nearly instantly multiple times w/o the delay my standard driver is using for my 2021 Samsung TV (not 'Frame', however).  

On 1/4/2022 at 8:19 PM, tmj4 said:

I believe there is a built-in delay of power control with the IP Control drivers for the newer Samsung TVs. As @msgreenf mentioned, the TVs use WoL (sending magic packets--yes that's what it's called) to turn them on over IP. I tested today and was able to write a quick custom driver to turn on and off the TV nearly instantly multiple times w/o the delay my standard driver is using for my 2021 Samsung TV (not 'Frame', however).  

Oh interesting. So you’re experiencing power on delays as well using IP control on a 2021 Samsung TV? That custom driver you wrote @tmj4, is it possible to only use that for powering on the TV and then switch over to the standard Samsung IP driver for control? If so, would you be willing to share?

Can anyone confirm NOT having a power on delay on a 21 Samsung Frame?

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, jimbones said:

Hey @RyanE! Thanks for the idea about the way the TV's are addressed. I checked composer and the TV's are addressed via their ethernet MAC addresses, the Samsung drivers dont seem to use IP addresses.

The MAC address you see in properties is not the addressing, that's used for Wake On Lan (WoL).

The way it's addressed is found in the Connections -> Network settings, not in properties.

No drivers address IP devices by their MAC address.  That's not valid for anything outside the immediate physical network, so is not really valid for IP communication.

RyanE

44 minutes ago, RyanE said:

The MAC address you see in properties is not the addressing, that's used for Wake On Lan (WoL).

The way it's addressed is found in the Connections -> Network settings, not in properties.

No drivers address IP devices by their MAC address.  That's not valid for anything outside the immediate physical network, so is not really valid for IP communication.

RyanE

Note that those MAC addresses DO need to be accurate for WoL to work - I've seen multiple instances where the TV was setup on WiFi, identified into the system that way, and THEN they got hardwired (messing up the WoL)

Hey @RyanE! Thanks for the idea about the way the TV's are addressed. I checked composer and the TV's are addressed via their ethernet MAC addresses, the Samsung drivers dont seem to use IP addresses.

Just in case that might be causing a confusion - under network connections you WILL see the mac addresses as port of the SDDP ID string as well - the point being, don't use that string, but use the static/reserved IP that the TVs (should) have.

@Cyknight @RyanE my gosh, did I sound like a know-it-all. 🤦‍♂️ But learnt something today, so thank you!

Checked connections and the IP address and MAC address are correct for the TV’s Ethernet port. 

No worries.  The reason a static IP address is sometimes preferable for the Samsung TVs is that if they're addressed via SDDP, the TV doesn't send SDDP until some time in it's boot process, after when it could accept an IP connection.

Using a static IP instead of SDDP can possibly allow the driver to connect quicker.

RyanE

On 4/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, RyanE said:

No worries.  The reason a static IP address is sometimes preferable for the Samsung TVs is that if they're addressed via SDDP, the TV doesn't send SDDP until some time in it's boot process, after when it could accept an IP connection.

Using a static IP instead of SDDP can possibly allow the driver to connect quicker.

RyanE

Ya makes sense. Too bad this doesn’t seem to be my issue.

anyone with any other thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Had a few hours to test last night and played around a bit. Here’s what I tried:

- 2021 driver still produces 10s power on delay. Tried via SDDP and static IP connection.
- 2022 driver reduced power on delay to 6s.
- 2020 driver doesn’t pair to 2021 TV, guessing the pairing command is different. Note: 2020 driver produces no power on delay with our 2020 frame TV’s.
- Tried manually programming on/off commands to test.
- Discovered 3-4 art mode ON programming commands.
- can’t find a consistent artmode OFF command. Art mode mini driver has on/off programming commands, ON doesn’t seem to do anything. OFF command turned off art mode and then turned off the TV. Can’t get it to just turn off art mode and leave the tv on.
- reinstalled mini driver, no change.
- can’t find any other art mode off programming commands.

At a loss as to how to address this power on delay. Custom driver? New TV’s? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

With mine Art Mode mini driver is super inconsistent, and for me won’t turn off Art Mode. To turn on Art Mode I use an option directly on the main driver, it’s very consistent, but although I can turn off the TV the Art mode session still stays on in the C4 app. When launching Art Mode this way, the only way I’ve found to get it to turn off (note the tv is already off and display is blank) is to have it also Turn Off the Room. Super weird, but at least in my application it works out fine this way. 

Either way, I think the available driver could definitely use some improvement. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.