C4 Forums | Control4

Triad Rackmount 700 rack screw size?

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, if not I apologize in advance.

I'd like to mount my rackamp 700s to my rack, but for whatever reason, the whole for the screw is smaller than the standard rack screw/cage nut (see attached pictures).

Anyone happen to know the right screw size? I'd like to avoid drilling a wider hole in the rack ears, so looking for the right screw size so I can buy the screws and cage nuts.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 12.01.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 12.01.14 PM.png

4 hours ago, anikkar said:

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, if not I apologize in advance.

I'd like to mount my rackamp 700s to my rack, but for whatever reason, the whole for the screw is smaller than the standard rack screw/cage nut (see attached pictures).

Anyone happen to know the right screw size? I'd like to avoid drilling a wider hole in the rack ears, so looking for the right screw size so I can buy the screws and cage nuts.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 12.01.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 12.01.14 PM.png

10/32. You have a data rack and not an AV rack. 

TIL that there are network racks and AV racks :)

The screws that came with my rack definitely don't fit, but I'll look for some 10/32 screws...worst case I can widen the hole by drilling into it, but I'd rather not.

Thanks for the help!

Eh, there's cage-nut racks and 10/32 rails.

Most racks used in a/v world (including pro audio) are pre-drilled 10/32 racks, HOWEVER cage nut rails can have 10/32 12/24 and M6 nut/screw sets.

While I'm somewhat surprised the triad ears don't accept M6 (which is what I'm guessing you have) you can get a few of the other sets and they should fit (the nut clip sizes should be the same). 12/24 should be fine if you have a hard time getting 10/32 sets (they would be the safest bet)

Just remember to get both the screws AND the corresponding nuts!

12 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I always wondered why I have two sizes of nuts and bolts on my rack.  Good to know!

And this is why in the enterprise world, many brands have gone to using tool-less rails and mounts, especially for 4 post mounts. Keeping tabs of screw-size when having to install REALLY heavy equipment is no fun. 

8 hours ago, tmj4 said:

And this is why in the enterprise world, many brands have gone to using tool-less rails and mounts, especially for 4 post mounts. Keeping tabs of screw-size when having to install REALLY heavy equipment is no fun. 

So true - I hate dealing with cage nuts - even with the proper tools on hand.

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

I always wondered why I have two sizes of nuts and bolts on my rack.  Good to know!

Just to clarify, M6 use is pretty rare in NA for cage nuts (I assume that hasn't changed much at least, though I'll have to admit this piece of knowledge may be outdated by a decade...or two), I generally only used to see them for 'quake rated server installs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.