C4 Forums | Control4

Mini Drivers and Samsung Frame TVs

TXJosh

Looking for guidance with the Mini Drivers, specifically YouTubeTV and Disney+.  I have a Frame TV and have placed both mini drivers in the project. The apps are installed on the TV itself and launch when selected from the TV Smarthub.  In Composer, I have tried connecting the Samsung App Switcher MiniApp(s) to the mini drivers and it does not seem to work. Composer shows me MiniApp 1 through 15 with 15 being the Art Mode which does work.  Does it matter which MiniApp I connect to the YT or D+ mini driver? I just can't get the app to launch when selecting it through C4... what am I missing?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I don't think so. @RyanE

It depends on the year.  I don't remember the year, but I believe current versions do support many mini apps, but I don't recall if there are restrictions on which ones they support.

The older ones (probably 2019 or earlier) only support like 6 mini apps.

RyanE

27 minutes ago, RyanE said:

It depends on the year.  I don't remember the year, but I believe current versions do support many mini apps, but I don't recall if there are restrictions on which ones they support.

The older ones (probably 2019 or earlier) only support like 6 mini apps.

RyanE

Thanks - any chance I can find the specifics somewhere or what apps are supported so I can at least ensure I am getting the functionality?

-Josh

OK, it looks like it's 2021 and later Samsung TVs that can start mini apps that have been installed and added to the home screen.

There is a Control4 KB article about it (probably only available to dealers): 

https://tech.control4.com/s/article/Samsung-TV-2021-Universal-Mini-Driver-Support

I don't think there's any difference between the Frame and other Samsung TVs as far as their protocol, so I assume it would work the same for the Frame TV (2021 and later).

RyanE

9 hours ago, RyanE said:

OK, it looks like it's 2021 and later Samsung TVs that can start mini apps that have been installed and added to the home screen.

There is a Control4 KB article about it (probably only available to dealers): 

https://tech.control4.com/s/article/Samsung-TV-2021-Universal-Mini-Driver-Support

I don't think there's any difference between the Frame and other Samsung TVs as far as their protocol, so I assume it would work the same for the Frame TV (2021 and later).

RyanE

Thanks Ryan. I tried pulling the KB with my Snap creds but no joy.  @Gary Leeds UK gives me hope, so I'll keep working to figure it out and maybe eventually hunt down that article.

-Josh

Basically, the MAIN apps always worked (the three Gary listed) it's all the other ones that have been 'locked out' by Samsung's API.

But since the 2021 models, samsung has added the ability to launch more mini apps BUT it requires those apps to be added to the home screen (it should ask you on downloading them, or it can be done manually, nothing Google can't find for you) - in addition the new drivers have the ability to pull the list of home screen apps, so you can check if they've registered properly, and if they are, you can add and use the corresponding universal mini driver (provided there is one)

Thanks all.  I was using the YoutubeTV and Disney+ mini apps and not the YT/AZ/NF ones that appear to be the working trifecta.  After looking at the KB article Ryan ref, I see how the new drivers have the app list. The driver for my Framt does not.  Thanks for the knowledge.

51 minutes ago, TXJosh said:

Thanks all.  I was using the YoutubeTV and Disney+ mini apps and not the YT/AZ/NF ones that appear to be the working trifecta.  After looking at the KB article Ryan ref, I see how the new drivers have the app list. The driver for my Framt does not.  Thanks for the knowledge.

then its a 2020 model frame and not a 2021 frame?

8 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

RyanE - It was not bought in 2021 - it was bought Oct 2019 - Samsung The Frame QE65LS03R 65" 4K UHD LED TV

Youtube app IS NOT YoutubeTV app, maybe that is where some confusion comes from here.

As I said, the three you mentioned are apps that were indeed already supported before, but Samsung TVs have been very limited in what mini-app driver (calls) they supported. Since the 2021 models, there is at least the ability to get more (most/all?) to work, albeit with some extra work and caveats (user not deleting the apps from the homescreen)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.