C4 Forums | Control4

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Hi all,

I wanted to take a look at a configuration I had yesterday so I performed a backup and then tried to restore from yesterday's backup and received the error in the title.  When I tried to restore the backup I took today I got the same error.  I had to go all the way back to 12/28/21 for a backup that would work.  

Has anyone encountered this before?

RussellB

FYI... I added a lot (maybe too much... 380) of images for the screensaver and after that every backup failed.  Even only restoring the Driver and Personalization failed.  I had to go back to a backup before I added all the images.  Not doing that again.  And also, as part of my backup strategy perform a restore to make sure it works.  When the restore threw that error the logs were ambiguous as to what happened and I ended up with an empty project.  You could hear the "GULP" throughout the neighborhood.

Well doing some troubleshooting I found at least one problem, though not the one I originally posted.  If a "Customer" or "Dealer" image are installed via the "UI Configuration" agent then a backup is made a restore of that backup errors out:

2022-01-07 08:32:57,703 [80  ] ERROR Control4.Client.C4System - Error restoring project.
Rebex.Net.ScpException: scp: error: unexpected filename: .

Putting this here for posterity.

I've been able to create this error consistently.  Director and Composer at version 3.2.4.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.