C4 Forums | Control4

Minimum viable iPad mini to replace touchscreens?

pinkoos

Hi

I'm considering replacing a couple of my aging wall-mounted touchscreens with iPad minis

I will occasionally run the iOS Control4 app, but my main use case will be to run my SecuritySpy NVR app on the iPad for live camera feeds (several of which are not tied into Control4)

So, I definitely don't need to spend the money on the latest and greatest iPad mini 6 for these uses, but was wondering what's the bare minimum model I should be looking at for a nice, smooth experience (obviously a 1st generation may run these apps, but it would be painfully slow and just not a good user experience)

Thanks

The other option is Android tablets which can be cheaper and the C4 Android app is superior to the iOS app.  And I say this from a home that is primarily iOS devices.  I happen to have a Samsung tablet and it works pretty well and doesn't suffer the startup delay of the iOS app.

19 hours ago, tmj4 said:

May be wrong here but this thread would seem to indicate that the iPad Mini 2 may cause some headaches. 

IPad Mini 2 will no longer run the latest version of the Control4 app. If you had a previous version of the app installed it will still work, but if you uninstall the app then try to reinstall from the AppStore it will no longer install. I replaced 4 IPad Mini 2s in my house because of this and wanting to being able to use the new features like Multi Display wall or whatever it’s called. 

With that said, if anyone wants an IPad Mini 2 16gb that’s been in a Lifeproof case since original purchase let me know. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, pinkoos said:

I think I'll probably go for a mini 4 at this point just to make sure it works well

I have and run OS3 app on iPadOS 12 on iPad mini 3 and its pretty solid for me, even my cams thumbs work while on newer app it’s doesn’t work, ironically but this is C4, it takes ages to fix things!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.