C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa "x device is not responding"

Don Cohen

42 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

This issue has been inherent since the initial release of Alexa control. 

it’s an AWS thing from what I was told. 

I would imagine you're correct about that. And while it has been glitchy all along, at least for some of us, it's glitchy essentially all the time, at least for AV related commands, in my case anyway. It seems interesting that things got worse amidst the reported AWS changes that were supposed to make things better.

So having that false 'not responding' from Alexa 5-10% of the time was a minor annoyance, having it 100% of the time is quite a different matter. It does actually trigger the correct response, so I'm glad about that. But still...

46 minutes ago, Tokead said:

I just switched from the Epic driver to C4's the other week, and I've being experiencing the same issue since. I find that it's only when trying to control a room/device and not for individual lights. 

For me it's random, doesn't matter if it's a voice scene, device, light, lighting scene. Sometimes fast, sometimes huge delay, not responding, and then happens. 

On 1/30/2022 at 2:24 PM, Tokead said:

I find that it's only when trying to control a room/device and not for individual lights. 

This is what I am experiencing. Prior to the AWS us-east-1 outage I would get it occasionally for various devices, but now I get it 100% of the time for room specific commands. The commands work, but am told the device is not responding, and always after the command is executed. 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:48 PM, THE L1ZARD KING said:

This is what I am experiencing. Prior to the AWS us-east-1 outage I would get it occasionally for various devices, but now I get it 100% of the time for room specific commands. The commands work, but am told the device is not responding, and always after the command is executed. 

FWIW this week this issue is no longer happening to me. No changes or reboots on my side.

12 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

And just like that, the glitch is back. The system responds correctly, but each and every time Alexa says "Hmmm...x device isn't responding."

Sigh....

Others seeing this too?

Yup same here the issue came back today. 

• 3 weeks later...

2 weeks later, and this problem hasn't changed. I unlinked Alexa to Control4, rebooted Controller, relinked Alexa, Discovered Devices, with no change, as before.

@ChrisHenderson - is Control4 aware of this problem? It's really quite annoying. I don't know whether the problem is with Control4 or Amazon, but having Alexa say "hmmmm....x device is not responding" each and every time I issue an AV room command, even though the command executes properly, is frustrating.

And I would hesitate to Demo the system to friends or potential customers with this happening - doesn't speak well of good integration with Alexa's voice commands.

I feel your frustration. It was solved for like 1 week then came back. I too don’t know if it’s a Alexa or C4 issues. Nor do I know if this is widespread or just some based on the few responses on this thread. 

Still happening to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, @zaphod.

I've also run into occasional glitches when turning on my theater: the programming includes dimming the lights, ejecting the tray on my player, and muting the audio on my AVR. I've noticed that every once in a while, these 3 events wouldn't execute, even though the rest of the theater turned on properly (multiple electronic devices turning on, projector on, video processor, etc.). Last night it seemed that this glitched when turning on with an Alexa command, but not when I executed the command from the Control4 App on my phone.

Something funky going on here with Alexa and Control4 integration...

• 1 month later...

Mine has been doing this for months now.. worked fine for the 6 years prior. I have just been so busy i have not had time to look into it but it sure did not take long once i did to find others with the same issue here.

It is getting so bad my wife and kids are asking me to get rid of Control4 and do something different as almost every command has to be repeated twice and the other half of the time when you don't have to repeat yourself.. what you ask happens after it tells you it could not as the device is not responding.

Is this them trying to push people to v3? Does this issue only exist with a controller running v2? I guess that's my next question.

8 minutes ago, DIEHARD said:

Mine has been doing this for months now.. worked fine for the 6 years prior. I have just been so busy i have not had time to look into it but it sure did not take long once i did to find others with the same issue here.

It is getting so bad my wife and kids are asking me to get rid of Control4 and do something different as almost every command has to be repeated twice and the other half of the time when you don't have to repeat yourself.. what you ask happens after it tells you it could not as the device is not responding.

Is this them trying to push people to v3? Does this issue only exist with a controller running v2? I guess that's my next question.

No change for me either. It's been a few months now. I just tried again to fix, unlinking Alexa to Control4, then rebooting the Controller, relinking, and then rediscovering devices - no difference.

I'm on 3.2.4 so it has nothing to do with OS2 vs OS3. I reported it to Control4 via tech support several weeks ago, but I've heard nothing back about it.

I unlinked Alexa with Control4, rebooted the Controller, relinked Alexa with Control4, rediscovered Devices - the same sequence I had done multiple times in the past - but the problem persists.

Every once in a while, I do get a different message from Alexa. So when I said "Alexa, turn on Cable TV," it did turn on correctly, but said:

"Hmm...I'm having trouble reaching null."

That's new! Strange, but new!

I must say, of all of the things that I would like to see Control4 improve, speed of response from Alexa for the first command would top the list. Second and third commands (shortly after the first command) work just fine so I guess it is the handshake process that needs to be improved or made to persist.

I don't know what others are experiencing, but the problem persists for me, but now, every time I give a room-level AV command, Alexa says:

"Hmm...I've having trouble reaching null."

I tried contacting Alexa support, but that was a waste of time. There doesn't seem to be a way to get in touch with the people there at a high enough technical level to even understand the nature of the problem.

Out of curiosity I did a search for that phrase ("I'm having trouble reaching null"), and found a few reports of this occurring with some other smarthome devices, not related to Control4:

• Mysa thermostat
  • eufy security's 2k battery doorbell
  • vont smart bulbs

This certainly suggests the problem is with Amazon. But that is of little consolation...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.