C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa "x device is not responding"

Don Cohen

8 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

I don't know what others are experiencing, but the problem persists for me, but now, every time I give a room-level AV command, Alexa says:

"Hmm...I've having trouble reaching null."

I tried contacting Alexa support, but that was a waste of time. There doesn't seem to be a way to get in touch with the people there at a high enough technical level to even understand the nature of the problem.

Out of curiosity I did a search for that phrase ("I'm having trouble reaching null"), and found a few reports of this occurring with some other smarthome devices, not related to Control4:

• Mysa thermostat
  • eufy security's 2k battery doorbell
  • vont smart bulbs

This certainly suggests the problem is with Amazon. But that is of little consolation...

you have said many times you work for a dealer - use the official support channels

57 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you have said many times you work for a dealer - use the official support channels

I have asked my dealer's tech genius, whose knowledge really impresses me, and he had no further suggestions on the matter, unfortunately. He said that the voice driver would be undergoing a complete change with the next impending OS update, saying perhaps that would resolve it.

And as I indicated a few posts up, I did contact Control4's tech support through the Dealer portal, and they said they would look into it. That was several weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything further. As I've also indicated, my relationship with the dealer and Control4 is somewhat unique, following retirement from my primary career. Further my 'job description' is on the sales end, not the technical, so I'm likely not as adept in navigating the support structure, don't have full access to all of the technical channels, etc.

Lastly, my most recent post was to suggest that while there are Control4 ramifications, the source of the problem may be with Amazon, since this same odd message appears with other smarthome devices.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:08 PM, Don Cohen said:

This behavior remains unchanged.

Is no one else seeing this? Hard to believe it's just my system, since it's worked well for so long without this quirk.

And any suggestions on how to 'reset' this beyond Controller reboot, and/or Unlinking/Relinking the Alexa-Control4 connection, both of which I've done?

I’ve had the”not responding” for years where sometimes it will, sometimes not. A second attempt typically succeeds. Earlier today, however, it “couldn’t find profile for device.” There are about 40 devices and most work. TV’s don’t respond at all beginning 2 pm. Did all the rebooting and relinking to no avail. Mentioned it to my dealer/friend and he’ll investigate tomorrow. It’s incredibly frustrating. Perhaps it’ll work properly tomorrow. As a software developer my guess is something changed on the C4 server AND there’s a bug (timing) issue in the driver.

5 hours ago, Howard P said:

I’ve had the”not responding” for years where sometimes it will, sometimes not. A second attempt typically succeeds. Earlier today, however, it “couldn’t find profile for device.” There are about 40 devices and most work. TV’s don’t respond at all beginning 2 pm. Did all the rebooting and relinking to no avail. Mentioned it to my dealer/friend and he’ll investigate tomorrow. It’s incredibly frustrating. Perhaps it’ll work properly tomorrow. As a software developer my guess is something changed on the C4 server AND there’s a bug (timing) issue in the driver.

Thanks for the post. Yes, the 'not responding' has been a sporadic issue for years with my system as well. But this "I'm having trouble reaching null" message has been 100% consistent - it occurs every time when issuing a room-level command involving AV gear. Other commands involving non-AV devices (lights, garage doors, locks, etc.) work fine.

Out of curiosity, with room-level AV commands (in my case, "Turn on Netflix, Turn on Amazon, Turn off Family Room, etc.), do you encounter the "...trouble reaching null" response from Alexa?

And a further follow-up here: I did another chat yesterday with Control4 tech support, and he confirmed that they were aware of the problem, and when he researched it further, he said that they had explicitly fixed it with OS 3.3. Time will tell, but hopefully we won't have to deal with this glitch for too much longer...

Very interesting - I woke up this morning, and Alexa is now saying "Ok" after I give a room-level command, and it executes properly.

Apparently 3.3 has been released today. I haven't done the update on my system yet, but the timing is suggestive. Perhaps something on the server side was switched on as part of the update, which fixed the problem.

Hopefully it will remain fixed.

As of yesterday i can no long control my TV's at all... this is still the case today.

Previously Alexa either said she could not find "null" for the last few weeks... then a 2nd or 3rd request would work.

And beyond that for the last year most commands for everything require 2-3 tries as she always says that it's not responding and this happens for any device.

Alexa + C4 is almost completely unusable for me now and as most of my C4 usage was via Alexa.

How is this not a bigger issue C4 is not addressing?!

6 minutes ago, DIEHARD said:

As of yesterday i can no long control my TV's at all... this is still the case today.

Previously Alexa either said she could not find "null" for the last few weeks... then a 2nd or 3rd request would work.

And beyond that for the last year most commands for everything require 2-3 tries as she always says that it's not responding and this happens for any device.

Alexa + C4 is almost completely unusable for me now and as most of my C4 usage was via Alexa.

How is this not a bigger issue C4 is not addressing?!

I don't know what specifically is causing your problem, but have you tried the usual troubleshooting steps?

• Unlink Control4 Skill from Alexa account, using the Alexa webpage, rather than the App
  • Reboot Control4 Controller
  • Relink Control4 Skill using the Alexa webpage
  • Have Alexa then 'rediscover' all your devices
  • You can also log into your Control4 account, and confirm that all of the devices there are configured properly, and enabled for voice control

You might also try unplugging your Alexa device(s), wait 30 seconds, and then replug in. Hopefully this will get you going, as at least for now, mine is *finally* working perfectly.

I bit the bullet and updated to v3.3.0 in hopes of fixing things.. which also updated the voice driver to 112 at the same time. I wish i would have notice and tried just the voice driver first but its too late for that and now things are more broken than before as crazy a that sounds!

I am not sure if it was the OS3 update or the Voice Driver update but all my Xbox devices no longer show up as devices on the C4 Voice Control site.

Also the ability to select any of my HDMI Matrix inputs from any room seems to be broken too as the only way i can get a HDMI input to be voice controlled now is to have it in the room the display is in. :(

Everything still works as expected via the C4 app but either something got broke with OS3 or the latest Voice Driver update it seems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.